Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need a new cps because I'm getting code 12, car runs very lean at idle, and resistance is 2.2K ohm. Can I use a 98 or 97 usdm supra turbo cps? Thanks. Btw I searched online and couldn't find if the aristo cps has the same resistance spec as the usdm supras.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is the 2.2k ohm I'm getting within spec? Reason why I ask is because I've seen two 2jzgte manuals with different resistance values.
Also, if I check resistance from the ecu connector without connected to the ecu, should I be getting the same resistance?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok wiring us fine. 2.2k ohm checks out at the ecu connector. I still get code 12 and it's idling lean in the 16s. Any thoughts? Could the ground that's attached to the sensor be broken???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Jpanese Tuning in Plain English

All the crank postion sensors are the same.
That's absolutely incorrect... they are not the same. Toyota used 2 different manufacturers for the crank position sensors (and camshaft position sensors)... ND and Aisan... the Aisan sensors have higher resistance values.

835-1400 ohms (cold) ND
985-1600 ohms (cold) Aisan

1060-1645 ohms (hot) ND
1265-1890 ohms (hot) Aisan

If the camshaft sensors are ND then the crank sensor should be ND... or if the crank sensor is Aisan then the camshaft sensors should also be Aisan. The ECU's are also programed accordingly.

I'm not sure if the OBD2 should have the same resistance values... but I do know
in 1998 (and maybe 1997) the Supra's crank sensor wheel has more teeth than in the previous years.

Choritsu-shi

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Japanese Tuning in Plain English

http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pages/technical/jza80/a80tsrm.htm

I checked the IG section at the link above and the crank sensor resistance is high vs. the cam sensor resistance. Is that manual incorrect?
Yes, good catch! I believe that is incorrect... I looked in my 1994 S/M and it's the same.

Then I went to TIS online and found that they have corrected that ignition page. I've attached a corrected copy which gives the specs for both ND and Aisan sensors. This applies to all 1994-1998 USDM GTE's.

Text Line Font Parallel Document

Yeah I agree, 2.2k is way too high… especially if you have ND sensors.

This may help.... I just happen to have a VVTi GTE engine here on hand… it originally came from a 1998 JZS161. Out of curiosity.... I checked the CamPositionSensor... it's an ND sensor and resistance is at 1.211k. I just drove it about an hour ago... and it's been over 90 degrees all day today... so the engine is still fairly warm.

Choritsu-shi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered a cps from a 98tt. Hopefully that'll work. I checked the cps part number from my cps and noticed that the previous owner used a cps from an is300. I don't know why he would do that but that explains the high impedence. I wonder if that's the reason why my car was stuttering at around 3k rpms

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now here's my confusion the part number is 90919-05023. For searching around it is from an is300 and also an aristo twin turbo late model. I'm confused. Did I just ordered the wrong cps??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

That's absolutely incorrect... they are not the same. Toyota used 2 different manufacturers for the crank position sensors (and camshaft position sensors)... ND and Aisan... the Aisan sensors have higher resistance values.

835-1400 ohms (cold) ND
985-1600 ohms (cold) Aisan

1060-1645 ohms (hot) ND
1265-1890 ohms (hot) Aisan

If the camshaft sensors are ND then the crank sensor should be ND... or if the crank sensor is Aisan then the camshaft sensors should also be Aisan. The ECU's are also programed accordingly.

I'm not sure if the OBD2 should have the same resistance values... but I do know
in 1998 (and maybe 1997) the Supra's crank sensor wheel has more teeth than in the previous years.

Choritsu-shi
well, after further study... I may be wrong about "more teeth", but it's certainly a different design. The OBD2 GE/GTE CPS do have higher resistance values than the OBD1 CPS.
1630 − 2740 ohms (cold)
2065 − 3225 ohms (hot)

...and the OBD2 Camshaft Position Sensor have the same resistance values as the OBD1... so they don't necessarily have to match.

Because of possible USDM and JDM differences, I also measured the CPS on the V300(VVTi GTE) today and got 2.149k (cold)... So I assume there's nothing wrong with your 2.2k ohm sensor reading...:faint:

Need more details on what you've got going on... how was it running before?....has this dtc12 always been there or is it recent? Is yours JDM stock or a JDM/USDM hybrid of some sort? Upgrades?

You may just have a small leak somewhere after the airflow meter along the intake track ... or an exhaust leak before, near or at the primary O2 sensor. Both could cause a lean condition and throw a dtc. (diagnostic trouble code)

Choritsu-shi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Then I got a new 98tt cps that I can sell.

It's a stock jdm gte vvti with stock jdm gte vvti ecu and auto tranny in a 01 is300, bpu.

I never had that code before. The codes I always had were 18 and 78.
I got code 12 after replacing my water pump. To replace my pump I had to remove the crank pulley.
The car turns on fine but goes lean after start-up and throws code 12

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

Ok. Then I got a new 98tt cps that I can sell.

It's a stock jdm gte vvti with stock jdm gte vvti ecu and auto tranny in a 01 is300, bpu.

I never had that code before. The codes I always had were 18 and 78.
I got code 12 after replacing my water pump. To replace my pump I had to remove the crank pulley.
The car turns on fine but goes lean after start-up and throws code 12
Okay... I don't know what dtc18 is... but dtc78 is the "Fuel Pump Control Signal".

You NEED to install a Fuel Pump ECU either from an (Aristo) Supra NA or Turbo. The main ECU controls the fuel pump speed through the FPC output. The FPC output tells the Fuel Pump ECU whether the pump should be in high or low speed mode.

Choritsu-shi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.