Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your K & N sounds like when you drive?
mine starts making the air sucking sound around 2500 rmp and then once i release the gas pedal, it will make a BOV sort of sound.. I think it's pretty cool, is that because my BOV sents air back into the Accordian hose and the pressure make air comming out of the air filter? :) not sure what's the real scenario, but did you guys enjoy that?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Of course, with the stock airbox gone you can now hear the stock BOV. It's not actually the K&N making the sound, you could remove the K&N and the sound would still be there. You think the sucking sound is cool now, try running a lot more air through there, like 20psi :)

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
SuperDerek said:
bishop, so it's loud like hell with 20 psi?
gets anoying?
Loud, in a very pleasing way.

BTW, don't try to run 20psi n your stcok ct26 ;) .

·
Registered
449 Posts
uh....when you upgrade bov....you will hear more of the venting that is goin on. You'll wanna do that when you get up there in psi....my 10 psi sounds bad ass on my blitz DD.......pshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! i love it

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh one question if you guys can help me with.
Do you think installing a HKSSQ or Boitz BOV is a waste of money when using stock Psi or maybe just a 3' exhaust and dp?

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Well, it's not a waste at all.

Just sounds good, if you like that sort of thing.

www.blowoffvalves.com

listen to some.

·
Registered
62 Posts
by using a valve that vents into the atmosphere (i.e. HKSSQ or Blitz) won't the car stall sometimes when you come to a stop since the valve remains open and it vents the metered air into the atmosphere making the car run rich?

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
SuperDerek said:
that's what happening to my car even thopugh mine is stock .. :(
Sure that you didn't pop-off the hose that routes BOV back to the intake? Maybe you have leaks around here.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might... that's what I'm trying to deal with but none of the local Toyota dealership parts guy can't find the BOV hose from their parts diagram or part list. It is the thin one goes into the metal hose on top of the engine. From the top of the stock BOV.
Don't know about it's part number or even name... is it a vacuum hose?

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
i can't hear anything off my K&N FIPK??
all i hear is the motor..maybe it's just me and my loud music :D ..

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
My first reaction to the surge noise was to think to myself: What has changed that makes the noise audible?

A: More air is now being allowed into the intake system. Therefore the stock boost bypass/release valve is not manufactured for withstand the force.

My first idea was, maybe the sound was always there...("The surging noise") but didn't seem to add up. I think the open element filter is letting more air in the turbo, more air in the IC system, and with out a bigger release... the surge is hitting the compressor side, and creating a sha ta ta ta ta noise...

Sounds really cool, but not exactly the best thing for your turbo.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Yeah 20psi on a CT26 57 trim, you can really hear the intake scream when the boost hits. A bigger turbo will just make the sound more pronounced.

I drive most of the time with the top off, so it's pretty easy to notice it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AWIDESUPIE said:
Sure that you didn't pop-off the hose that routes BOV back to the intake? Maybe you have leaks around here.
I had the valve vented properly. Upon more searching and reading almost every post that had anything to do with AFM and VPC, I've come to the conclusion that any B.O.V that vents to the atmosphere will cause the car to stall, unless you are running a VPC or something similar (S-AFC, etc).

EDIT: If there's a way around running a VPC, etc, I would like to know about it. I think someone mentioned earlier about backing off the screw in the AFM (stock or lexus). Also, how reliable is that method.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts