Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. is there anything to gain by adding a K&N filter to my stock 96 JDM Supra N/A or is it just money out the window?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you gain anything it will be very minimal. I think I saw a post on here where someone actually lost a couple hp with KN filter. The only thing you will get is a kinda "whoosh" sound, which does sound pretty cool. Its not to loud though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
your car might run like shit on hot days, as hot air will get in easier...unless u make a good air shield like max airbox.

·
Torturing a W58...
260 Posts
Do any of you supra guys do the BFI mod? Pretty popular with the SC300/400 crowd, and apparenly yields some dyno proven horsepower, for like $30. Haven't done it to my car because I'm going turbo and once you do the stock resonatant airbox becomes functionally worthless (which is the whole basis behind the BFI).

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
one thing I've seen with K&Ns is the oil gets sucked off the filter and laands neatly on maf and temp sensors. This does throw off your reading to the ecu and in turn throws off your tune

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
well if you use the K&N dropin replacment, it will be better then another stock filter, plus it's reusable if you get the cleaning kit, just remember NOT to over oil it.
Lots of people will coat it till the whole white guaze element is red with oil.
Your only supposed to add alittle, and over night the oil will eventually spread out over the filter gauze. It's supposed to be an overnight process, not a quicke 60 second spray it all over the place process

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
kmn5 said:
well if you use the K&N dropin replacment, it will be better then another stock filter, plus it's reusable if you get the cleaning kit, just remember NOT to over oil it.
Lots of people will coat it till the whole white guaze element is red with oil.
Your only supposed to add alittle, and over night the oil will eventually spread out over the filter gauze. It's supposed to be an overnight process, not a quicke 60 second spray it all over the place process
even the pre oiled ones are way over oiled. the best thing to do is get the spray, I'd say about 3seconds of spraying is all you really need

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am thinking of getting the Injen intake for my NA because it comes with a heat shield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts