Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neat little "OPEX"(operator experience) about our AFMs. For the last year or so I have been getting a check engine light with codes 24 and 31. The weird thing was that it would come on at high loads (mostly prolonged partial throttle,50-60%, on the highway) and there would be no difference in performance. As soon as the car was shutdown and restarted, the engine light would be out. I tried several different AFMS but same problem. Anyways I just finished putting my new intercooler pipes in my car and drove it for the first time since Sep :( and the codes came again. Then as I was looking at my custom built(I didn't want to spend $90+ on a frigging accordian hose) I remembered an article I had read about KV AFMs and one of the reasons for their extinction. THey can't/don't like to be mounted anyway but flat. Mine was rotated 45-50 degrees. I altered the AFM to sit flat, drove the piss out of the car.....NO MORE ENGINE LIGHT!!! Hurray! Now to do something about thoes flapping side moldings.......

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
hmm.. i just got code 31 and 34 out of no where the other night but car still runs same.
i will try that cuz i just put my afm back on.

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
eh im not sure about that. mine, and ive seen MANY others NOT mounted "flat". they work fine.

if i were you id check the wiring.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it's worked for me, since wirng hasn't changed...... old AFMs with fluttery foils will definately benefit from this.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
Mostly Thumbs said:
Well it's worked for me, since wirng hasn't changed...... old AFMs with fluttery foils will definately benefit from this.
not in the slightest.

again, your wiring was probably loose. old AFMs with worn out CONNECTORS, thats your problem.

by moving it around you most likely got a better connection with the plug.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Mostly Thumbs said:
Same link read input sensors page 9.
what sensors on pg.9?

No one said you're an idiot. There is just another reason you code went away than mounting it flat.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
OH, a different document. Not page nine of "same link".

Then you have something broken in your sensor box. If it were not broken, it wouldn't matter if it was mounted upside down. The vortices would still register with the photocoupler via a properly functioning mirror.

Note that stock it is not mounted horizontally flat.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others. Maybe you have something loose/broken and when you turned it, it 'moved' back into the right spot while installing or driving. Why don't you try removing it and changing it back and see if the light comes back on and vice versa? I would probably be afraid to touch it now, though. lol ohnoes:

And the excuse that it being that way stock is a reason to believe it's right is faulty thinking. I'll give you one example cuz that's all you'll need and because I'm a lazy typer :bigthumb: ... "Stock head bolt torque specs." :ugh2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
you are talking about flapper air flow meters. like the ones in the mr2. or non turbo 7m

1 - 15 of 15 Posts