Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I bought a 2 owner 1997 Supra, auto, 90k miles, bone stock, no rust anywhere. Since then I have put, new motor mounts, trans mount, front pads & rotors, shocks, timing belt, valve cover gaskets, diff ear mount bushings, sway bar links and tinted the windows. My questions is should I keep it stock or pop the cherry and BPU it?
I'm not sure on how long I plan to keep this one. I almost feel guilty about changing anything since it doesn't seem that you come across stock Supra's very often anymore but the car could definitely use some oompff! Tell me what you guys think.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Another vote for BPU just keep the parts you remove to put back to stock for sale purposes. BPU will let the turbos breathe and gets you close to 400rwhp which will allow you to still beat most cars on the road today. When people say what have you done to it, reply, "Nothing really. Just intake an exhaust". Then watch their face when you go flying by. :cool:

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's not exactly a low mile car, I would mod the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I would go bpu, and store all oem parts. But your car...

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Stock Supra is boring....it needs to be at least BPU to keep up with modern mustangs, Camaros, etx

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
I would like to do some mild mods, I think I would enjoy it a little more ��.
Then do mild mods! If you own the car and want to enjoy it, then do as you please.
Throw on a downpipe/exhaust, intake, BCC, and boost controller. I promise you will have more fun and you will not devalue the car unless it is some completely unmolested low mileage showroom condition car. Even so, keep what you remove, and throw it back on if you sell.

If I were looking for a car and wanted yours, after what you have already done, and with BPU mods, bet your ass I will pay you more

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
I posted a similiar thread two years ago when I bought my car, I had people with low mileage RSP cars telling me to mod my car. So end of the day do what makes you happy, don't think about resale or any of that crap. I'm going to keep my car the way it is until the turbos blow, then either stu it or go single.

California is the worst. :tear:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just skip the whole bpu thing & do a mild single build. Just save yourself the trouble because you'll want more power anyway. Enjoy it now cause we never know what tomorrow will bring

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just skip the whole bpu thing & do a mild single build. Just save yourself the trouble because you'll want more power anyway. Enjoy it now cause we never know what tomorrow will bring
Do this and avoid regret. BPU is *yawn*.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
If you don't know whether you will keep it long, leave it stock and drive it a while. Frankly, if you consider this a short-term purchase, go ahead and sell it now.
You can get used parts to go BPU on the forums, as many guys continue to go single. Once you start performance mods, you will not want to stop.

·
Registered
581 Posts
BPU if you like driving your car without worry. It'll be faster than most things on the road and give you zero headaches.

·
592 Posts
I'm in the minority here but I would leave it stock. Although not a low mile car by any means, I believe modifications will devalue it a marginal amount; plus you will not get your return on the aftermarket parts you invest.

Seeing a single'd, BPU'd, or thrashed MKIV is commonplace, seeing a stock clean example is a refreshing rarity.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought mine 94TT auto in 1999. I only have catback and K&N drop-in and lowering springs. It was my DD car until 2009. I stopped driving it and only take it out for a spin on good days. In the last 2 months I started to BPU it with only the the following (HKS EVC-S, HKS FDC, WG spring mod, new Blitz RX catback (which I am still waiting for delivery). I loved the added boost from the EVC-S. I stop here for reliability. The car has 140K and still on stock turbos, I just completed the LED speed odometer gauges/HVAC upgrade by Stu. The interior looks awesome and bring it to modern. Not selling it anytime soon. My vote BPU is more fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts