Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so most people buy cars without caring to look. Does it really matter? I mean, will a dealer cut you the blue book value if you bring it up? Im looking at an 2000 MR2 spyder with nearly 50k, selling for fricking like $17, no way, even a very similar one but 2001 with even less mileage, was only $15k. But that one's a private dealer (and I do not have the money to cash it). Anyways, yeah how helpful is the bluebook value in negotiating [with dealers]? Because KBB states that car, in excellent, condition, is only $12,600.

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
Blue book prices are horseshit IMO. For most cars they are just a rough estimate of what your car is worth. For specialty cars kbb is a joke. If the car youre lookin at is more money than others, I'd look elsewhere for a better deal. Also, you might be looking at the wrong section on kbb. That figure might be what the car is worth as a trade in. To get an idea of what a particular car is going for I'd look on autotrader.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
For a common car like an MR2 I'd think you could use KBB to negotiate the price. Its up to them if they decide they want to change the price....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I find that KBB is a pretty useful negotiating tool with dealers. They usually want to pull their own black book out when you trade a car in and it can be useful to use against them when you buy a car from them.

Private owners are a different story though. If the seller is motivated and you can show them the cash, KBB can be useful to get the price within range of what you are looking for. With a guy/gal that is selling a car unmotivated you may as well not even bring up the topic unless they do.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
depending on the car no books are good. I mean KBB, Black book, etc.... dont know jack on some cars. Take a mkiv supra, they give them 4 catagorys, rough, average, clean, extra clean. The black book is posted weekely, 4 catagorys X52 weeks, is 208 supra sold at the auction, then times that by the years they made the car 6 year X 208 supra is 1,248 a year are sold at the auction to get the "value" of a supra. So for fun the supra was built in 93, it 2006 right now, 13 years and 6 months of supra at the auction is a total of 16,328 supra sold at auctions over the years ;) same goes for viper, AMG's, M cars, anything that the average job blow does not have.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Supra_Dre said:
so most people buy cars without caring to look. Does it really matter? I mean, will a dealer cut you the blue book value if you bring it up? Im looking at an 2000 MR2 spyder with nearly 50k, selling for fricking like $17, no way, even a very similar one but 2001 with even less mileage, was only $15k. But that one's a private dealer (and I do not have the money to cash it). Anyways, yeah how helpful is the bluebook value in negotiating [with dealers]? Because KBB states that car, in excellent, condition, is only $12,600.

In short,

The market dictates a cars value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts