Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. this is gonna sound retarded... very simple question...
where is the fuel filter on an 89 turbo...(reason being.. gotta change mine... and it's too dark outside to get under the car... i'm guessing it should be near the gas tank right?!!?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Theres one inside the gas tank, Im not totally sure if thats the only one, but I dont think it is, theres probably another one about 2 ft away from the fuel tank toward the front of the car

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
Its between the rear and the tank, way up there, you'll wanna use some penetrating oil and flare wrenches.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it possible to change without taking out the tank...
just too lazy to go look at it at 4 in the morning... between the rear bumper and the tank..(weird i was looking near the passenger rear wheel...)thanks though...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
The filter inside the tank is actually a pre-filter, unless you run mud in your gas tank it will never clog up. The real filter is above the differential and you can get to it without taking the tank off. If you plan on buying a fuel pump anytime soon you should wait until you get it, it's easier to replace the fuel filter with the tank out.

·
2,279 Posts
Theres a fuel pump in the tank, not a fuel filter. A little screen for the pickup on the pump, thats it though. The fuel filter is outside of the tank, up in a pain in the ass place to get to it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not going to bother to take the tank out... just gonna try it like that on jack stands... not a big deal though...
thanks for all the help...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Before you loosen the fuel filter fittings pop the gas cap to let some pressure out then put the gas cap back on. Otherwise you might get a nice spray of fuel. It also helps if the car has been sitting for a few hours.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before you loosen the fuel filter fittings pop the gas cap to let some pressure out then put the gas cap back on. Otherwise you might get a nice spray of fuel. It also helps if the car has been sitting for a few hours.
Thats some great advise..... wish i woulda known that when i did mine. :rolleyes:

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would it be necessary to crank the engine w/ the fuse to the fuel pump out in order to remove any fuel pressure built up between the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator?

and how messy does it get w/o purging the fuel pressure?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Good luck trying that. Easier way to do what you're saying would be to disconnect the fuel pump resistor pack on the exhaust side fender near the ABS motor and crank the motor over.

w/o purging fuel pressure and a properly functioning fuel system you have ~35psi of fuel spraying all over you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
true.... i took the fuel line out.. that goes from the tank to the filter... tried cranking the car... but there was no pressure coming out.. just a steady flow of fuel, same as when the car was off... guessing it's now either the pump or, i think there is a pre filter before the pump in the tank aswell .... right??

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay.. just got back from messing with it... i tapped on the tank...while my friend tried to start the car... (someone told me it might help loosen whatever is clogging it..) and the car did start, but died again about a minute later, and now it wont start again..... does that mean anything to anyone... i figure it's the filter in the tank.. and hopefully not the fuel pump.. but with my luck i wouldn't be suprised... don't know what kind of fuel pump is in there either.. i doubt it's stock cause i got a t04 in there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts