Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be okay to take knock sensors off a 6mge MKII from a junk yard and put them into a MKIII 7mgte?

·
Registered
596 Posts
i highly doubt that they are the same, but the only way to find out is to compare, or just call a toyota dealership parts dept.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they look the same, and the connectors fit. but still, it doesn't mean that it won't throw a code, or register as nonexistent.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would have no fear of trying it myself. Toyota's pretty good for that - they love re-using parts across different models and years and if the connector fits it will probably work just fine. Ive got a few 22R-E parts on my 7M-GE...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked with toyota today and they have different part numbers. if i started the car with "knock sensors that don't match," it wouldn't blow up in my face would it? would it just register with a faulty code?

·
Registered
626 Posts
velocityUNLEASHED said:
i checked with toyota today and they have different part numbers. if i started the car with "knock sensors that don't match," it wouldn't blow up in my face would it? would it just register with a faulty code?
I can tell you as an electrical engineer, you are amazingly safe trying something like this. The knock sensor is a passive device, and will not fry anything. It's reasonably likely it will work perfectly fine. Worst case, it doesn't work, and you continue with your code 52 woes.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Only toyota engineers really know what the difference is. Not saying it won't work, but it might not work properly at detecting knock.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
do the threaded parts look the same, ect?

I bet they will work too as there is an adapter fo the MR2's to use better (yes better) GM knock sensors...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, the plastic locks on the side are identical; they fit like a glove, but that doesn't mean a damn thing.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
appleguy said:
I can tell you as an electrical engineer, you are amazingly safe trying something like this. The knock sensor is a passive device, and will not fry anything. It's reasonably likely it will work perfectly fine. Worst case, it doesn't work, and you continue with your code 52 woes.

electrical engineer eh?? check your PMs...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aayte, let's not turn this into a flame war. as soon as i crank her, i'll let you guys know what's up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts