Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone. I got a 89 supra turbo. Had Forum member evolution read my engine codes and the code 52 or something showed up. Checked that it might be the knock sensor? Is this easy to fix and also where the hell is it located? I want to fix it asap because it annoys me how the check engine light is on and I am getting horrible gas milege. I know it's not the o2 sensor and plugs because I just replaced them a month ago.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Everyone. I got a 89 supra turbo. Had Forum member evolution read my engine codes and the code 52 or something showed up. Checked that it might be the knock sensor? Is this easy to fix and also where the hell is it located? I want to fix it asap because it annoys me how the check engine light is on and I am getting horrible gas mileage. I know it's not the o2 sensor and plugs because I just replaced them a month ago.
its most likely the wiring... the sensors them self rarely go bad unless the end snaps off... btw there are two of them. They are on the block under the intake mani. One near the front and one near the back between the starter and the block.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would the knock sensor locations be different if it's a jdm 7mgte? i have searched online and can't find any information on where the knock sensor locations are? I have no idea how they even look.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone? where is a good website or place to check out a write up or tech info on how to locate and fix the knock sensor? I want to fix this problem asap because the gas milege is horrible.

·
Registered
208 Posts
knock sensors are underneath the intake manifold, screwed into the block. One is I think somewhere around the #2 cylinder and the other is somewhere around #5 (I don't remember so somebody please help me on this, but it's around that area). It's in the same location for JDM 7m's also.

If you look up a picture of what each of the ECU terminals are then you can find where the knock sensor wires should be going. For a rewire basically just cut the existing wires and if you can pull them out of the harness. Then you'll want to buy yourself some good coaxial wire (a wire surrounded by some insulation and then surrounded by another wire and then more insulation (a wire within a conducting cylinder)).

Anyways, the inside wire goes from one knock sensor to it's corresponding position in the ECU and the same goes for the other sensor. Then the wire surrounding the inner wire is grounded preferably at the engine.

If you don't have experience with electrical stuff then just go to a shop and have it professionally done. It shouldn't cost that much at all, especially if you take the glove box out with the ECU clear and visible, ready to be worked on.

AND... if somebody wants to add to this post or correct me to help our friend out please do so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts