Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a positive way that my engine has a rod knock or not ?? the knocking stops when i rev it up after i disconnect the spark plug from #1 so im assuming that is where its coming from.any help would be aprreciated.

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
yup its a rod knock. every time your spark ignites it pushes the piston back down to make power. when that happens the rod hits the crank rod like if there were clearances between the rod and the journal. hence the rod knock.

thats why it goes away when u unplug the spark wire because there isnt any spark to push it back down. its a dead piston.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Its probably just low on blinker fluid

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Now it's time for a really stupid question. Let's say you have rod knock, it goes away when you disconnect the spark plug. Can you also disconnect the fuel injector's power and drive normally with no reprecussions? Because the motor's fucked anyway.

·
27836-12121
1,310 Posts
Time for W90 Oil change and a "For Sale" sign

I hear ya Thermactor, 5 cylinders would yeld a great gas economy:D

ART

·
Registered
346 Posts
ARTSUPRA said:
Time for W90 Oil change and a "For Sale" sign

I hear ya Thermactor, 5 cylinders would yeld a great gas economy:D

ART

:D Daaymnn, YOu guys are crazy as hell I tell ya

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
the strangest thing happened to me.
today i fucking blew my fucking bottom end while drifting. knock knock. who's there? knock knock knock. :(
I think it's at the number 6 cylinder. Someone lend me a gun and one bullet, please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How was your oil level Thermactor (be honest now). I did some testing before, and even if you're little bit under the "low" mark, you're in trouble with any kind of heavy cornering or braking.

Everyone, keep your oil always full or slightly above!

As far as disconnecting one spark plug and injector, the engine shakes like hell, but it will run (barely).

Sorry to hear about peoples troubles. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping you wouldn't say that!

Reading from your story, sounds like it was knocking a bit to begin with.

Sucks, I know first hand. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating. When checking the oil level, keep the following in mind (not accusing anyone of anything by the way). Straight from the MKIII handbook:

When judging the amount of oil consumption, note the oil may become diluted and make it difficult to judge the true level accurately.

As an example, if a vehicle is used for repeated short trips, and consumes a normal amount of oil, the dipstick may not show any drop in the oil level at all, even after 1000 km (600 miles) or more. This is because the oil is gradually becoming diluted with fuel or moisture, making it appear that the oil level has not changed.

The diluting ingredients evaporate out when the vehicle is then driven at high speeds, as on an expressway, making it appear that oil is excessively consumed after driving at high speeds.

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
7m is the king of rod knock.

been there.

I ususally chec my oil at the gas station after driving for a while it's ususally at the 1/2 line or sometimes 2/3. When the car has been off for a while and I check it's at full. Should it be at the full level after the car has been driven for a while?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts