Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Was going to take my -93 single turbo supra for a spin this morning but noticed a knocking sound at 2500-3000rpm. Had a friend with a problem like this and he solved it with changing the serpentine belt tensioner so i changed mine to, but knocking is still there..

Took the cover above sparkplugs off and noticed my cam gears are in different position. It's the previous owner who changed the belt so i dont know if its been like this the whole time or if anything have happend.

https://s32.postimg.org/4aq70kwr9/IMG_1495.jpg

Can this have something with the knocking to do?

Engine still starts up like normal and runs fine, but the knocking sound scares me. I hope its not going to end up with being to expensive :(

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
I wouldn't trust those paint marks. You want to look at the indentations in the gears and match them up to the timing marks on the top cover. It appears the indentation on the driver side gear is inline with the top of the outer cover. That's the indentation you want to line up with the marks.

As for your knocking is it an actual knock or more of a tick? Power steering can make a knocking sound. Spun bearings too but that would be across all RPM ranges.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Post a video of the sound.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
run a fuel injector cleaner while you are at it

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Check all of your belt driven accessoties first. Hopefully that's it. Use a stethoscope to pinpoint where it's coming from. I don't want to say it's a rod but it does sound deep enough. Can you tell if it's coming from the front, top, or bottom of the engine?

·
Registered
438 Posts
to determine if it is a rod knock ... shut of the engine ... remove the coil plug connection from cylinder #1 and restart the the engine. Rev the engine to 2500 and if the knock sound is still heard ... shut off the engine and put the coil plug connector back on cylinder #1 and remove the coil plug connector from cylinder #2. Restart and rev to 2500 ... and repeat for the rest of the cylinders. If the knocking sound is not heard or the knocking sounds lessons during testing of a cylinder ... that cylinder is the culprit. Probability it is a rod bearing. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sound stopped when i removed the coil plug connection from the first cylinder.. damn.

What is the next thing to do now?

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Pull that bad bitch apart and rebuild! I also suggest getting your injectors flow tested. I've heard of a few #1 failures that were caused by a poor flowing injector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts