Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
mises.org
711 Posts
I was not expecting something that small would improve the koenigsegg's time so much.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
^It did. Just because it does not have a wing off of a 747 does not mean it does not create downforce. I understand you may not be saying it needs a HUGE wing, but a small wing can be just ass effective at higher speeds depending on it's design.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
RSXTypeS79 said:
^It did. Just because it does not have a wing off of a 747 does not mean it does not create downforce. I understand you may not be saying it needs a HUGE wing, but a small wing can be just ass effective at higher speeds depending on it's design.

Yes but it's placement is in relation to the roofline of the car, which is VERY low in this vehicle, which it isn't in more "normal" supercars which I think calls for the higher setting for the rear wing?

Or I'm just talking out of my ass... :ugh2:

It's interesting how official it is, yet, couldn't the "Stigg" have on or off days with each lap? Shouldn't he do 4-5 laps, or maybe he does and they use the best result?

;)

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
RSXTypeS79 said:
Yes but we all should know that getting the undisturbed air flow from higher up would have given this car a much better downforce then "Top Gear Wing"

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
Yes but it's placement is in relation to the roofline of the car, which is VERY low in this vehicle, which it isn't in more "normal" supercars which I think calls for the higher setting for the rear wing?

It's interesting how official it is, yet, couldn't the "Stigg" have on or off days with each lap? Shouldn't he do 4-5 laps, or maybe he does and they use the best result?

;)
I think it depends on the air flow and we now the K. CC. is more aerodynamic than a lot of supercars; ie, the airflow is closer to the car and check out the overhead shot of the tear drop design of the cabin to the back... if they expect air to suck into that hole then the would expect air to travel near the back end. Furthermore, all that is required is a pressure difference which is what that will get for sho.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
The wing was put down low and in the back to reduce turbulence which also helps reduce overall drag. It's the same concept behind longtail Le Mans cars. You will usually see these types of wings used on tracks that have two straights that are very long 190+ mph. It's the same concept behind putting windvisors over the window frames to reduce roadnoise. You increase the surface area to stop air from separating from the car too early. I can't say for certain that any of this is why this particular car has this particular wing, but that is the general reason it was developed.
See; Oldsmobile Aerotech, McLaren F1GTR, Dauer 962 Le Mans

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:

;)
The Stig does do multiple passes. He's probably pretty consistent, rumored to be a recent F1 driver and all.

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
4,832 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:

;)
Even if he did..he probably did it for every car he tested. So in the end..it still wouldn't even matter. :ugh2:

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
mkiv808 said:
The Stig does do multiple passes. He's probably pretty consistent, rumored to be a recent F1 driver and all.
Recent F1 Driver? I don't think he's human...or real...he's made up by the Bush Administration...

·
Everybody Lies
358 Posts
I bet the Stig was sweating this after his last lawn mowing with the CCX.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Am I the only person who doubts that time?

Watch the vid, the lap looks SLOW, very slow. Not a single black line even layed on the tarmac.

I think it is TG's way of smoothing over the accident in the last car.

·
Zoom-Zoom
617 Posts
I don't doubt it at all. I watched both videos back to back, and there is a noticable difference in the speed at which he took most corners. Also, look at the Zonda F's time...no black lines there either.

·
Zoom-Zoom
617 Posts
Not sure what you mean. He drove the Zonda, and the Zonda F, the first time.

I think based on the videos that the Zonda F can turn faster than the CCX, although not by much. The problem that it has is the advantage that it has in the turns does not compensate for the 204hp disadvantage it has in the straights. That's just my bench-racing observation.

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
Cool vid! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
kazesupra said:
Not sure what you mean. He drove the Zonda, and the Zonda F, the first time.

I think based on the videos that the Zonda F can turn faster than the CCX, although not by much. The problem that it has is the advantage that it has in the turns does not compensate for the 204hp disadvantage it has in the straights. That's just my bench-racing observation.
Sorry, I made a mistake...I was thinking about the Maserati MC12 (supposedly, the owner drove the Mas)

·
Zoom-Zoom
617 Posts
I think they both did...MC12 1:18.9, Zonda F 1:18.4, Koenigsegg 1:17.6. Video is on Myspace.com videos.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts