Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for you guys. Ive got some 19" wheels coming in next week and I also have some koni sport shocks coming in. My dilema has to do with the purchasing of springs. Im either going to keep my stock springs and put the konis on the lower perch (about 1/2-2/3 of an inch lower then stock) or im going to get tein h-tech springs and set the front perch on the lowest setting (about 1.2 inches lower then stock) and then set the shocks on the back at the highest perches (rear will drop .4 inches).

Does anyone have pics of 19's on a stock suspension and does anyone have pics of their car with koni yellows on the low perches with stock springs.

also opinions on drivability of these different suspensions are welcome

thanks for the help,
Geoff

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Not sure if you can put eibach springs with 19's but I have them with Koni's and my car rides incredible, extremely smooth.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was torn between going with the coilovers and the shocks for a while. the reason i decided to go with the shocks was because i dont drive the car very much, and when i do i just take it around the back roads. I never track it and never drag race, so ifigured I really wouldnt experience all of the benefits that coilovers posses. Also I really don't want to harsh of a ride (I would like it to be stiffer then stock, but not by much)

all that being said the height adjustability of coilovers would have been ideal in solving the problem i have now of choosing which spring setup to go with.

does anyone know if stock springs with koni shocks will provide
an overly bouncy ride?

also thanks for your help "hotgreekinasupra" with regards to choosing the offset for the wheels, and xXCloudXx your wheel setup looks awesome

thanks,
Geoff

H

·
0 Posts
Geoff,
Sounds like you're piecing it together and making some good decisions for yourself. There is alot of experimentation going on with mixed results. One thing you should know is that not all coilover setups produce harsh ride quality. My HKS performers provide a superb ride but that's were the kudos stop. They are pricey and the rears, on mine, tend to be noisey up around the PB area.
Later

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah everything is coming together. it's taken alot of research and time but i think its paying off in making the right decisions.

My major concern with regards to the use of stock springs vs the tein springs would be the ride quality difference. I have heard that the stock springs may provide a bouncy ride where as the teins will not. does anyone know if this si the case.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just ordered a set of the h-techs last Tuesday from MVP. They should be in next week sometime. I did alot of searching for info on the h-techs and havnt found anybody that has them yet. There is lots of info on the S. Techs but nothing on the H. Techs. Hopefully I will have mine on next weekend, so I will let you know how they turned out. The only difference will be mine are going on KYB AGXs instead of Konis and I have 18" wheels.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi 94Supra.... can't help you with any pictures cus i am also in the process of purchasing some konis for my mkiv however to answer you other question, the konis with oem springs will not produce a bouncy ride! In fact the increased rebound damping should make it ride a lot better than stock. usually you get a bouncier ride if you uprate your springs and keep oem dampers because they are not valved strongly enough to handle the increased forces of the spring! (especially the rebound valving) My experience comes from my previous car which I experimented with and the Konis were awesome for the road.... controlled but not harsh! hope this helps a little :)

Andrew

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrew this helps alot. this is exactly what i was wondering. now that i know the ride quality will be good with both the teins and the stock springs, i can try and focus on which combo will produce the best drop. If anyone has pics of the koni's on the lower perches with stock springs that would be great.

thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
831 Posts
No pics but stay with the Koni's and Eibachs. maybe because they're both developed in Germany, not Japan, but you'll like the difference over stock...Tokico Illumna's are very impressive (on the street at least) as well. :)
Will

·
Registered
831 Posts
Go with the ground control coilover setup later, then. 500.00 or so and uses your koni shocks. Than you can adjust your springs to the height you want. Also one of the recommended setups in the road racing section.That's my setup now. Looks "trick" as well. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts