Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay guys....i'm looking to get a new car......so i'm now betwhen two car....:

The First Car:

A 97 S14 LE KA24DE 5spd c green\tan leather 150K miles....clean interior \ extiror...clutch is 30K miles old...will need brake pads soon........say 8.99\10

The Second Car:

a 98 chevy camaro Red\blk auto.....~145K miles... LS1 V8 ..Auto clean out and inside.....need nothing..

the S14 will go for 5K and the camaro around 7-8 K $.....

my qustion:

what do you guys think ishould get?.....B4 any one ask i want it as my DD car.....if i go with the S14 i'll re-build the engine after 1-1.5 years and make it a 450-500RWHP project....

If the camaro....it will get bolt on's ( intake-headrs-cat back's and all that)....

you wonder why i ask this qustion on a supraforum FULL of supra owners.......B\C you guys are the only fair place on the web.....

if i ask this on nico or somthing all the guys will say go with the S14....and if i ask this on LS1tech.com....ALL of them (V8 Heads) will say go with camaro.....

help please....

Thanks'n'advanse

Ali

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, let me start by saying you may not want my opinion. (See signature). :)

With that out of the way, I'd want to know the price of the S14 before I can really say, but I will say this: The KA24 is much cheaper to rebuild and have rebuilt than an LS1. Also, the S14 will probably be better on gas. ;)

EDIT: I guess I missed that you did state the price in the original post. Not a bad price, IF the condition of the car is good.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, let me start by saying you may not want my opinion. (See signature). :)

With that out of the way, I'd want to know the price of the S14 before I can really say, but I will say this: The KA24 is much cheaper to rebuild and have rebuilt than an LS1. Also, the S14 will probably be better on gas. ;)

EDIT: I guess I missed that you did state the price in the original post. Not a bad price, IF the condition of the car is good.

the S14 AND thew chevy's condition are NOT good they are near great....they are clean and mean....lol

anyone ?

·
Cultured Development
319 Posts
I'd say get the s14... with the $2k you save from getting that instead of the Camaro, you could get a fairly decent sr20 or rb26 and swap out the KA. While you are doing the engine swap, you can replace the clutch.
And with gas prices like this... why would you want a v8???

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Only thing holding the Camaro back is the auto trans IMO. Find a comparable Camaro with a standard trans and I would go that route. The Nissan is balls-ass slow anywhere near stock, and the 'Maro has plenty of bolt-on proven mods that you can add at your leisure and remain reliable....no need for engine swaps, turbo kits and other heavy wrenching just to get even mediocre power.

Gas mileage is closer that most would think....LS1 + tall overdrive gears = awesome mileage ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm not sure where u live.. but if you live in a state with lenient smog laws.. I'd get the S14 and drive it fixing up the suspension, and then go for an LS2 with some aggressive cams. Best of both worlds IMO.

·
2JZ S13
2,207 Posts
S14, save up for a year then put the LS1 and a 6spd in it, best of both worlds.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
That Camaro price is way too high for the year and mileage. There are many two and three year younger cars with less mileage going for $7000-8000.

02' Police Interceptors with maybe 95,000 are going for close to $8500.

I would pay $8000 for a 1998 Camaro if it had half the miles you stated.

·
Registered
452 Posts
$5k is a really good price for a 5spd 97 S14. I've never owned a Camaro and never ever will, but I don't know if I'd buy an auto with 150k for $8k

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the car will be my DD....and from where i live....the camaro's are EVERY WHERE....and there is NO S14 in here....

NOTE:

i'm NOT in the state's...i'm half way around the world.....

so againe what sholud i get?

thanks every one

·
Registered
452 Posts
you live somewhere outside of the US, where there are Camaros everywhere and no S14s? If it's just for a DD, then you should probably get the one that is more common - easier to find parts

·
Registered
530 Posts
NOTE:

i'm NOT in the state's...i'm half way around the world.....
Damn. I was gonna say if you don't buy the S14, lemme know where it is and I might. ;)

I'd say get that if it's in excellent condition like you mentioned above. You could swap in an SR20 if you wanted, like one of the other posters mentioned, with the $2k you save from not getting the Camaro; however, I disagree with the statement that you can swap an RB26 for $2k.

Anyway, the S14 looks better (IMO) and like someone else said, if you don't care about having a fast daily driver, get the S14. If you care about speed, the Camaro starts off with speed, so why go through the trouble of engine swapping (and still not having the power of the Camaro, mind you). But why care about speed on youy daily?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd say get the s14. IMO, it looks way better than a camaro, and not only that, the extra 2K, can used to build yourself a ka-t. The block itself is iron like the supra and can handle pretty good boost, but I'm not gonna say it's as reliable as a 2jz. But it does give you pretty good dyno #'s. And unlike sr20's, it'll save you the headache of buying the engine and then getting it installed and charged for the labor. And because, if the ka24 ever breaks down, go and grab yourself another one for under a 800. Guranteed. :D But that's just me and the camaro's have never realy looked good to my eyes. There's just something wrong with the front having such beady headlights unproportioned to the entire car, especially the motor. Or maybe it's just the sharp look of the front end. Anyways, s14 Kouki for me anyday of the week over the maro.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
It all comes down to....do you want to go fast or drive a Nissan? Pick one and you have your answer.

Are you willing to to engine swaps, engine builds, turbo kits, etc, just to compete with the stock Camaro for speed? Reliability, fuel economy, etc will pretty much be a wash. It's a Nissan vs a GM, so it's a given that both are made from fairly cheap materials and the interiors are ghetto, so that's a wash too.

Personally, I don't much care for either vehicle. Since the Camaro offers some V8 grunt, comes with an awesome motor stock, and makes pleasing sounds....I would go that route. Motor swaps in a daily driver are completely un-appealing for me.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
-I'm a big fan of the LS1...
-I say get 240
-With that many miles on the LS1..and more $, u will probably have to rebuild it eventually anyway.
-Get 240, save money, make it fast.
-If LS1 had..maybe 70-90K miles I'd say get it instead.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts