Supra Forums banner

koyo idler pulley play

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  1A1 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought e new timing belt pulley from koyo, i can move the bearing side to side if i grab the wheel/bearing, it is not much, but you can definitely feel it, is that pretty normal for a bearing to have that side to side play/moving, or should there not be any movement at all??.. i can move it maximum 1mm from side to side..

#3 ·
Is this the one that has three or four bolts that bolt it to the front of the block... it hangs down with a wheel on it, this wheel tensions the auxiliary belt? There's a hole in the plastic engine front covers for it to come through...

If it is, the tentioner in it's unloaded position may not have load on the internal spring (or hydraulic equivalent) which is perhaps where you're seeing free play. As the tentioner isn't used at either end of it's range capability this shouldn't be a problem. From memory there were some marks on these units that looked to me as if they were for measuring deflection, something like an arrow and two dots it should point within, I would assume these are for when it's running to check the movement range, but that's an assumption.

If it's just a bearing on a shaft, there should be nothing like 1mm of play from side to side... or up and down along the axis of the shaft. 1mm of play on anything with relation to a bearing is a huge huge gap.

#11 ·
Are you saying the bolt is bottoming out with not enough threads in the oil pump?

I would get a Toyota idler pulley bracket. Or if you ever plan on doing aggressive cams, get a billet piece.

Al

#12 ·
I have tried 5 different pulley from toyota, same problem..tried 5 different bolts, 3 from toyota and 2 used i had in the shop, 2 out of 5 was a little bit longer, and problem solved.. only have the play back on the sleeve, that's seems normal to 1a1 replies..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.