Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I had some questions regarding the origin of the parts on my 91 Supra Turbo. I guess one of the previous owners had been so fond of HKS that he installed their IC kit, EVC I, intake, and exhaust. Well tonight I was doing a knock sensor rewire and when I took off the panel behind the glove box while attempting to get to the ECU, this fell down:

What the hell? :scratch: I'm not sure what to do with this item. What can I do with it? Maybe I have to do some research.
I guess I'll finish the rewire in the morning.

·
Registered
223 Posts
well you can sell it to me...i'm looking for that box/harness if you're not interested in it...lolz

That's the HKS F-CON...just enhanced/extended fuel maps for the engine ECU. If you're planning to use an SAFC, that will need to go cuz it will interefere with your SAFC.

It has extended fuel maps for higher boost levels and rpm ranges...basically tweaked for a certain degree of performance...what's your setup currently?

You can't change the settings in the box at will, it needs to be reprogrammed and the chips are hard to find. If you're running on stock 440cc injectors, you won't be able to upgrade to 550cc injectors since the chip in that box is specified for 550cc. You'd need to get another chip if you do go that route.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
thats definatly a tight find, do some research and find out if thats what you want..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just took a walk down memory lane while searching the forums for info about this thing. I can make some changes with a dial inside the FCON, a dip switch? I'll open it up tomorrow and see what chip it has. What is interesting is that I have a mysterious pressure sensor on my firewall and I never really took the time to see where it went. Apparently it goes to this. I'm tempted to go back downstairs to rummage around behind the dash some more, maybe I'll find a VPC;) Hey RydeR I might be willing to sell this to you. You may have more use for it than I. BTW, I'll never touch another SAFC! HAHA.
Oh yeah, my front KS wire was broken about a foot from the sensor, but I didn't have a CE light or even a stored code. A strange evening :scratch:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cracked it open and found it had an E155 ROM chip which means it is for the stock injectors. The dip switch was set at 8!! which means rich, I mean rich like only getting about 160 miles to a tank. Guess how I know;) I dialed it back to 0 which means no changes to the factory settings because I'm running stock boost. So I'll get the KS's done and see where I stand. I was wondering why my car felt so sluggish all the time. Maybe this had something to do with it?

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
i got an Fcon for stock injectors as well if anyone is intrested. new harness included

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, what a difference setting the FCON to 0 made. I wondered why my car was always pretty non- responsive and apparently running RICH will do it.:) I'm much more impressed with it now that it is running on the ECU without any interference. KS rewire is done, and I can't tell a difference. But at least it is one more thing I don't have to worry about. I'm glad I have fuel mapping for high boost levels so that when I install a downpipe I won't have any problems with fuel cut. Excellent:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
You lucky SOB. That's a hell of a bonus find in your supra. Most people find beer, weed, or even the occasional crack pipe from the threads i have read.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
87Turbo said:
You lucky SOB. That's a hell of a bonus find in your supra. Most people find beer, weed, or even the occasional crack pipe from the threads i have read.
:rofl: that is so true lol

good find by the way :bigthumb:

·
Verrrry nice!
302 Posts
87Turbo said:
I'll trade my f-con for a 12 pack and a bag of hydro....lol....jk.....all i got in mine was crappy old shades, a hotel key, and the entire engine bay mnus block stuffed in the trunk!

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Masonbrick said:
I just took a walk down memory lane while searching the forums for info about this thing. I can make some changes with a dial inside the FCON, a dip switch? I'll open it up tomorrow and see what chip it has. What is interesting is that I have a mysterious pressure sensor on my firewall and I never really took the time to see where it went. Apparently it goes to this. I'm tempted to go back downstairs to rummage around behind the dash some more, maybe I'll find a VPC;) Hey RydeR I might be willing to sell this to you. You may have more use for it than I. BTW, I'll never touch another SAFC! HAHA.
Oh yeah, my front KS wire was broken about a foot from the sensor, but I didn't have a CE light or even a stored code. A strange evening :scratch:
NIce find dude. YOu are in Oakland?
I see Zidane... :)

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
KnightRydeR said:
.....If you're planning to use an SAFC, that will need to go cuz it will interefere with your SAFC....
Ummm, no. The S-AFC works in concert with the F-Con just fine, as long as it is installed downstream of the F-Con output. It is a great setup, since the S-AFC will not move FCO as much by itself; whereas in conjunction with the F-Con, FCO is eliminated altogether.

Note: Although the F-Con's pot switch is set to zero, it still provides an extended fuel map beyond FCO, just leaner than the other settings. Be wary of detonation. I've adjusted a few in my time & I've never set one below "3" when operating above FCO on stock injectors. FWIW: FCO is 11.8 to 12.3 psi per Toyoya White Paper [see CygnusX1, somewhere]. If running stock boost [6.8psi or lower], "0" should be no issue.

Take care.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
NIce find dude. YOu are in Oakland?
I see Zidane... :)

Hey man, yes I'm in Oakland off Piedmont Ave. And of course 'Zizou' is the greatest player of this generation, unfortunately he just announced his retirement after the World Cup.
Larry thanks for the info about having the switch at 0 because I wondered if I would have the benefit of extended fuel maps with it there. I'll put on my wideband soon to see what happens when I turn the boost up. I like the idea of using this because it won't affect timing at all. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Masonbrick said:
sent you a P.M.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey KnightRydeR. I'm selling my supra and including all of the HKS stuff with it. If the car doesn't get any bites after a while I'll reconsider selling off some of the parts. So I'll keep you in mind for the Fcon.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts