Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KW V3 help for install - Please help!

I have KW V3 coilovers but i don't have standard mounts available to me, i have the tein pilliow ball mounts and they don't quite seem to fit the purple cups, do i have to lightly machine the cups or the recess on the kw part so the fit snug? they are so close to fitting.

Couldn't find anything on search? please help I'm desperate and running out of time to install.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think it would be better to lightly recess the pillow mounts to fit the cups. Someone might have better experience than I or may have had to do this before. Any other suggestions/ recommendations guys...?

Kind Regards,
Sal Ramirez

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 1994 J spec, it doesnt seem to need the drilling like some people have needed to do with other combo's, Yep thats what i'm thinking i'll have to do.

I'm just uploading some pics now.

It used to be on Tein HA, it seemed to have some fabricated top mounts..... unless they are 94 standard top mounts? not sure atop the large very wide tein springs.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you won't quite be able to see from the pics but the purple cups (what i call them) are slightly to small to go over the top of the yellow(goldlish) tein top mounts, it very close.... i can only presume it must be around 1mm-2mm possible that may need to be ground away to get them to fit.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Prior to switching to my KWv3's I had the Tein HA's with their upper pillow ball mounts. When I had the KW's installed we concluded that it won't fit the Tein PB mounts so I bought a new set of OEM top mounts which fit fine, no mods.

I suspect there are other ways to make it fit, like what you're thinking above. To me, for my almost full-time street car/very part-time track car, the upper PB mounts were not important to keep.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I was going to go this route. Unfortunately at the time nobody could confirm fitment. So I didn't pull the trigger. If anything thanks to the OP for making this thread to confirm.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nick is it not just feeasble to mildly mill the cup so the cup fits over the gold recess of the Tein pillowball? It seems like only about 1mm that would need to be taken away for it to slip inside?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the Teins look lovely it seems a pity if nothing can be done?

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
If you're sure that the open recessed part of the purple cup fits over that lip on the Tein PB mounts then a little metal removal would make it fit and I can see why you'd want to do that.

I just don't recall if that purple piece fits over that lip or if the recess fits over the spring O.D.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i'm going from memory, but shouln't the purple part fit INSIDE the mounts?
Then the spring sits in the purple cup.
Then the strut rod runs through everything
then you put your locking nuts on TOP of the gold mount to hold everything together.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I think I'm being a dumbass, i think your right flash, I'm not with the car but will take a look in the morning, think I've been doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Cool, well maybe if you flip it, it will fit (probably not, but we can hope :)

-Ekow

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah unless you have the clubsport ones .... Which they won't be for $2000 :-(

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The OEM rubber one works great!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
agree. The least of my concern is the mounts. the springs were too soft for my purposes....that was more annoying.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flash they'll be better than what I had, I will let you know how I feel with them as I'm out on track this Weds =) can't wait.

probably will end up going more stiffer with the springs later this year =)

So with some small machine work etc there all now on, just need alignment and I'm good to go.

Used the Tein Pillow ball fronts with New OEM rear top mounts.

What have others gone with geometry wise? any thoughts and input? Look to be trying FRONT - Max caster -3.3 camber toe 1/16th in REAR -2.7 camber what toe in the rear ? is zero the best?
265/35 R18 SOFT NS2R fronts
275'40 R18 Medium GG R888 rears
lots of bracing and 7 point cage, full poly bushed

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
dee,

Depending on your wheel size and offset, I think your front tire height might fall into the range where others with the original "soft" KWv3 setup had some rubbing during hard suspension compression.

For example, your 265/35 X 18 tire height is 25.3 inches. My 285/30 X 18 fronts are only 24.7 inches tall (I'm on CCW's Supra fitment LM5's)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have left the front relatively high so I will see, fingers crossed it doesn't happen but we'll see.

Turbo_soup93 I have all my pics on facebook, do you mean as in my build thread or for the coilovers? I plan to do one for the coilovers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts