Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some people with experience with these coilovers, looking to buy and need info on real life ride quality and noise transmition I don't want the horse drawn carriage ride most coilovers provide.
or the sound you get crossing bridges on the freeway flex joints sounds like the dash is going to break off. I would appreciate and and all input if you have either Kw v3 or the new Hypermax IV
thank you.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,279 Posts
Both are amazing coilover options in my experience. I did a car with the V3 and all new SuperPro bushings front and rear as well as diff and power steering rack and I swear that car felt like a Lexus.

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds great how much adjustment did you have to make from the way they were set came from factory?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Hipermax are very good coilovers. Especially for the price. I drove a buddy's mk4 and it handled amazing and was an extremly comfy ride. I'll be picking up a set when I go to coilovers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,876 Posts
If you decide to go the KW route, be mindful that it requires the OEM top hats and require a little center drilling. With that said, having a new or low mileage top hat set would be best with preserved rubber. I have installed a set on my buddy's car and they are really nice on my limited seat time. (I have the HKS HM 3's). I also would not hesitate on a set of HKS HM4's as they are geared just for what you are after, right out of the box. Like you, both these 2 brands of coilovers would be my top 2 preferences.

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you decide to go the KW route, be mindful that it requires the OEM top hats and require a little center drilling. With that said, having a new or low mileage top hat set would be best with preserved rubber. I have installed a set on my buddy's car and they are really nice on my limited seat time. (I have the HKS HM 3's). I also would not hesitate on a set of HKS HM4's as they are geared just for what you are after, right out of the box. Like you, both these 2 brands of coilovers would be my top 2 preferences.
I did not know this about the KW 's especially about having to drill out the centers my car has 48k miles on it top hats look pretty good, such a hard choice when i have not rode in a car with either one.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Cannot speak on KWs, but had multiple sets of HKS Hipermax, currently on IVs. These have been great, though street experience only, no track time. Smooth ride and put the power down very well.

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supra Turbo - Any vibration or transient noise on the freeway like when you cross bridges at speed?

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is a big difference in price 2k for kw v3 and 1300 for HKS IV wonder why

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
there is a big difference in price 2k for kw v3 and 1300 for HKS IV wonder why
I've never owned HKS coilovers but I have the KW v3's since Dusty's original group buy a few years ago. Like Patrick said above, it rides Lexus-like. One of my original comments still holds, that when I drive over tracks or any rapid series of bumps I just smile as it glides smoothly under control. Besides the comfort aspect, I find the overall handling to be excellent and would buy these again unless something new/better has come out since.

I know the KW v3's are adjustable independently for rebound and compression as well as ride height. I think the HKS's only have one dampening adjustment so maybe that explains part of the price difference.

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never owned HKS coilovers but I have the KW v3's since Dusty's original group buy a few years ago. Like Patrick said above, it rides Lexus-like. One of my original comments still holds, that when I drive over tracks or any rapid series of bumps I just smile as it glides smoothly under control. Besides the comfort aspect, I find the overall handling to be excellent and would buy these again unless something new/better has come out since.

I know the KW v3's are adjustable independently for rebound and compression as well as ride height. I think the HKS's only have one dampening adjustment so maybe that explains part of the price difference.
Nick did you leave your kw's on factory settings or did you adjust them?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Supra Turbo - Any vibration or transient noise on the freeway like when you cross bridges at speed?
It would be difficult to comment with my current drivetrain setup where everything vibrates, but none that I have noticed from the suspension. This is utilizing the HKS tophats also. The coilovers have been adjusted to suit the required ride height and dampening to put the power down as effectively as possible with the rear 15s.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Nick did you leave your kw's on factory settings or did you adjust them?
I left them on the factory settings for a long time and liked it that way but last year I stiffened the rear compression dampening a little and like it better on the street; no track time yet.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Nice to see you back here, Nick :)

Its been a while
Thanks for the friendly vibes, Mr. Ree. Just about every day I check SF to see what's happening but I don't post like I used to, mostly because it seems like it's all been said and done and my patience isn't what it used to be a half century ago ;-)

·
From the land down under
4,037 Posts
Thanks for the friendly vibes, Mr. Ree. Just about every day I check SF to see what's happening but I don't post like I used to, mostly because it seems like it's all been said and done and my patience isn't what it used to be a half century ago ;-)
You are welcome, Nick. This place misses members like yourself greatly, even more so since the "upgrade" which has seemingly turned the place into a ghost town in a matter of months.

I fully understand your reasoning to post less, too. I often find myself feeling the same, but due to my disdain for social media platforms like FB/IG etc, I keep finding myself back here, posting, and trying to help others where possible.

I hope you have been well, and that you have found some good reasons to get your car out of the garage from time to time (covid19 lockdown aside)

Take care, my friend :)

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
Don't the KWs lack the ability to adjust ride height at the lower collar? You have to adjust them up top, which also creates issues with spring height/rate?

Steve

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After reading all available info i can find on coilovers in general it seems that the harshness comes from the top mounts and getting rid of the rubber for a solid mount.
kw's keep the stock rubber top mounts. In some of the pictures of the HKS IV looks as if they have a rubber peace in the center of the solid top mount which should help or stop harshness also
but the info sheet is in Japanese so i cant say for sure what its purpose actually is? would be helpful to know what it says in english.

·
Swole
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve that's vary helpful information cant believe i didn't see that my self and they cost 600 bucks more looking like HKS is making more sence now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts