Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase Eibach springs and either the KYB/AGX or KONI shocks. The KYB's are cheaper, and people seem to really have good luck with them. Any reason to go with the KONI's? Are they worth the price? I tried running a search, but no one seems to have a definitive answer yet.

Also, how about fender wells? Any rubbing? I have the AVS3 wheels, where 18's are in back, 17 in front (yes, that's the way that Yokohama intended them to be). 275's in back, 255's in front.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Driven
137 Posts
kyb's definately. They can be adjusted (4 way) while still on the car with a simple click on top of the shock. My friend has Konis and his car sits about 1/2 inch lower in front.....the shocks are yellow (5 way) I think.....but they can only be adjusted when they are OFF of the car......not while still on the car like the KYB's.

I have mine set at #2 .......because when I put them on #4 they were extremely tight.....my kidneys hurt.....but if I ever track my car then I will spend all of about 1 minute setting them on #4.....after the day at the track I spend 1 minute and I am back at #2 setting! Very adjustable, very easy, very cheap, soft to very stiff!!!!! What more could you ask for? Also Great Warranty.

Bought mine from www.groupbuycenter.com .....coxautoimports for all four were $370 DELIVERED to my door! Great Deal!

:D Todd:D

·
Driven
137 Posts
kyb's are not height adjustable at all!!!
The only adjustment (I think) you can do on the koni's are when you install them ....they will be either a little bit lower .....or a little bit more lower......(I know that is vague but I think it is something like -15mm or -10mm depending on how you mount them)

I think once they are on though you can't change the height....unless you re mount them!!! Sounded like too much trouble for me on my daily driver!!!! Even if it was my garage queen I think I would still prefer my KYB's they are truly adjustabel on the car.....not something you have to tear out, then FULLY COMPRESS in order to adjust.....like the KONI's are.

I don't know if you knew that but the Koni's have to be fully compressed in order to adjust them.....I tried to compress my KYB's before I put them on and I can tell you that it was impossible !!!

Also, KYB's adjust your compression and rebound at the same time.....KONI's only adjust your compression!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Force-Fed,

Thanks for the post. You just made the decision for me. How about sway bars? Have you installed those yet? I'm thinking about doing those at the same time. Any reason not to? Is it better to learn to drive without the sways, and then add them?

What about wheel rubbing?

If you could shoot some pics of your car with the drop in height, that would be awesome. Thanks!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, great tip for groupbuycenter.com!

Which Eibach set is for TT Supras? I'm assuming package K8222.140. The other set has "exc. turbo", which I'm assuming means NA Supra? Correct me if I'm wrong... I'd hate to be ordering the wrong set.

You can't beat $370 shipped for the KYB/AGX's!

It seems that the Eibach Springs could be a little cheaper, though... I remember seeing them for $220 somewhere...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I like to drag race, which set-up would you guys recommend? The reason I ask is b/c I've heard of horrible wheel hop stories when ever people mess with the suspension. Would the KYB Eibach combo on the softest setting give me a stock like suspension for the 1/4 mile?

Thanks Matt

·
Driven
137 Posts
1. I will post some pics later today

2. I bought the shocks and aem cam gears together

3. It took about 5 days to receive them

4. I followed the link through groupbuycenter and it took me to Cox Auto Imports

5. They are very reliable....so far as far I can tell you.

6. Don't know about wheel hop.

7. The only lowering that you will get out of this combo is from the Eibach springs......I think around 1 in front and rear. No rubbing so far except an occasional slight rub if I am turning Right into a fairly STEEP driveway....then just a slight rub on the inner front fender well.....it is just plastic in there so I don't worry too much....

Hope this helps!

:D Todd

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the KYB's and like em',of corse I never have ridden in stock spring,shock combo supra,so what would I know?

What I want is a pcture of a whole supra with kyb/eibachs to see how low it is.

Right now I have intax springs which are to low for this parts of the country.:( But they look good:D

Thanks
Cory

·
Supra Huntin
39 Posts
245's all the way around!!??? thats different.

my 98 Tt came with eibachs and it has stock shocks.. BAD combo my damn car is SOO bouncy its not funny.

Eibachs lower the care pretty good tho.

This week im getting a set of KYB /AGX's, and im also going to get the BIG ass front and rear sway bars from dusty.

i chose this route because i dont and prolly wont go to the road course often enough to warrent coilovers, so im getting the sway bars with the eibach/KYB set up cause i know this will make a great combo.

and all this still works out a bit cheaper than JUSt getting a set of coil overs.

If anyone is intersted in those BIG ass special order sway bars.. i suggest you get ahold of dusty @ MVP asap and reserve a set for when they come in.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot! looks real good..... Can you see the top of the tires on the front ! With my setup, the tires are a little under the fender sides..... if that makes since... ...O.K......... the front tires are about a centimeter and a half under the body. IF THAT makes since I will be suprized.ON STOCK RIMS.

Thanks agian

Cory

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I am also very interested to buy some new shocks and springs. But what about the TRD setup which includes the Bilstein Shocks and Eibach springs?

Also I have heard that sometimes people have problems with Eibach springs that they are uneven in height on the supra? Somebody want to shed some light on this ?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I just ordered directly over the phone from coximports.com (1-800-470-6511) spoke to Phil, nice guy.

He gave me the group buy price of $370 shipped for the AGX/KYB shocks and $240 shipped for AGX/Eibach Prokit springs from the groupbuycenter.com. He said it takes 3-4 business days to ship.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FORCE-FED said:

I don't know if you knew that but the Koni's have to be fully compressed in order to adjust them.....I tried to compress my KYB's before I put them on and I can tell you that it was impossible !!!
The Konis do not need to be fully compressed to adjust them - better get your facts right before you give expert advice on something you haven't had your hands on. I recommend one visit the Koni website to get step by step instructions on adjustment. The Konis are the only shocks I know of that have a lifetime warranty - I know KYB does not. The Konis can only be adjusted off the car, which is fine unless you're serious enough about track events that you need to adjust between daily driving and track settings. Koni has a 2 position spring perch, which was designed to allow one to lower the car with stock springs. If you are using Eibachs or other shorter than stock springs, it is recommended to use high perch setting. Jeff B.

·
Driven
137 Posts
1. never claimed to be an expert.......did I????.........:rolleyes:

2. Motorsport Dynamics in Sacramento CA has installed hundreds these of Yellow Koni shocks on Supra's and they Specifically told me that the shocks would have to come OFF of the car to be adjusted AND that they would need to be FULLY compressed in order to make the adjustments CORRECTLY.

3. They might be wrong...............I never checked. Then again YOU might be wrong................I never checked!

4. KONI's website shows CAN't DISPLAY PAGE when you click on "how to adjust" link...........so I guess if he wants to he can give KONI a call and ask them for himself........that's what I did before I bought my KYB's.

5. KONI's were almost 2x as much as the KYB's.

6. Don't you think it would be a pain in the a.. to pull the shocks out every time you wanted to try a "different" setting on your shock.....not to mention getting the car re-aligned every time!

7. Why bother getting Adjustable shocks if you never try the different settings........to see which setting works best for your situation???

No flame ...just the facts!!!

Are you the EXPERT with all of the facts just because you posted.............I am sure you are not???:rolleyes:

Isn't it the intent here to share info with each other ....... so we can all learn a little more....

Just trying to help someone with their buying decision.......that is all...and looks like he made the right decision (for himself)

Personally I couldn't care less which he chose.....just wanted to help him out with his ?'s

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Force,
Keep on leaving the advice! It is EXTREMELY useful. Same for you, too, Jeff. It's great that we can get a good exchange of info going here. Both sides have great arguments. However, for me, it came down to the fact (like Force said) that I want to be able to adjust them quickly from autocrossing, to daily driving, etc. The lifetime warranty was not as great an issue for me, but it could very well be for others.

No one has commented on the use of sway bars, thought. What do you all think? How stiff? What is TOO stiff?

Thanks for all your input, especially to Force, who has proved to be extremely helpful in presenting his case...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Koni shocks are rebound adjustable not compression adjustable.

They are superior to the KYBs.

Your shocks/springs should be matched. You shouldn't use your shocks to do the job that your springs are supposed to be doing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts