Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have mentioned having this set up, but when I contacted the parts store I am looking at ordering the struts/shocks from said they would not recommend lowering springs (eibachs) to be used with the gr2's. They mentioned something about a much higher failure rate. How long have you guys that have these struts w/lowering springs been riding around. I don't want to have to replace struts every year or two..... Info please :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I haven't heard much about these, except on the MKIVs... (have 'em on the GF's MKIV, at stock height).

On my MKIII, I have used the Eibach/Tokico (non-adjustable) forever now and think they are great... Haven't heard of any failures at all.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
i have had my eibachs and illumina II's for almost a year with no failage!

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
For once a shop is right about the MK3.

I've taken that EXACT setup off of MK3's at least 3 times now. Replaced each time with Koni's and kept the Eibach's. Not one complaint from anyone since. KYB's are terrible when mated up with any lowering spring. They are meant as a stock replacement strut/shock. They aren't as performance oriented as some of the others are.

I had Eibach's and Illuminas myself for over 2 years. Loved them loved them loved them.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
yes Trent they are a great combo but i dont understand why a few people's fail? is it possible they drive like they are in an auto X everytime they travel or leave the driveway? i can understand that they would fail if someone were hard on them 24/7... o well i havent had a problem with mine and my buddy hasnt had a problem with his for over 2 years now!

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Justin727 said:
yes Trent they are a great combo but i dont understand why a few people's fail? is it possible they drive like they are in an auto X everytime they travel or leave the driveway? i can understand that they would fail if someone were hard on them 24/7... o well i havent had a problem with mine and my buddy hasnt had a problem with his for over 2 years now!
Tokico had some problems with them about 3-4 years ago and because there are such a small amount produced with this market being very small, the percentage of people with problems was not that high, but word spread like wild fire. The last problem I heard with any Illuminas blowing that I can recall is nearly 3 years ago now. I bought mine just after they said they had fixed the problem and never had an issue and haven't heard of anyone having any since.

I didn't baby my car either. Anyone that knows me and knew the car, knows I beat the hell outta that thing. Street races, drags, auto-x, everything. I drove it like it was meant to be driven.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
awesome trent thats good to know! i have times where i get into some twisties a little hard myself with no worries of the struts failing! they are great i love mine!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the KYB GR2's with ST springs. They have been on for just over 3yrs w/o any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Gr-2s suck, they are worse than oem tokikos. They will die a very quick death with eibachs, not to mention they are terribly mismatched.

Ang

·
Registered
280 Posts
gr-2's are an oem replacement...springs will kil them fast and then youll have a honda bouncing ass

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
yeah, the gr-2's are just a little stiffer than stock shocks and arent anywhere near stiff enough to balance a stiffer spring. They match stock springs well but with a good lowering spring you'll be bouncing all over, and then they'll shit out.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
GR2 and eibach > blown tems and stock springs

shocks aren't everything, if you are on a budget, GR2 will give you that new car feel and better handling. At $40 something each they will get you on the road then you have more money left over for a brake upgrade or maintenance.

Suspension does not make the driver. A GR2 eibach setup with a good driver will kill a shitty driver with thousand dollar coilovers in the turns.

GR2s are good for the money, but if you can afford them I would suggest Bilstein shocks. Even if you have to keep the stock springs. The Bilsteins will let you lower a little with stock springs and run around $400 which would be the cost the GR2s and lowering springs.

The bilsteins handle daily driving and occasional beating with ease.

I have had GR2s since December and I like them for the price. Now that I have better gripping tires I am able to max them out at the full limit of driving so I'm considering Bilsteins for the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts