Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about that time to go single! But...without mentioning any names, I've been quoted a figure of around $4500 for the above parts to be installed. This to me seems a little extreme, does anyone have any idea of how much this should cost, and any recommendations of where I could get this done in Southern California would be appreciated.

TIA

M

·
0 Posts
demon said:
It's about that time to go single! But...without mentioning any names, I've been quoted a figure of around $4500 for the above parts to be installed. This to me seems a little extreme, does anyone have any idea of how much this should cost, and any recommendations of where I could get this done in Southern California would be appreciated.

TIA
Are you supplying all the parts? If so, that's way too high. I guess they are gonna pull the engine out to do it, but still it's too much. $4500 translates into approx 70 hours of labor, and if you go by the Toyota labor guide, it amounts up to around 35-40 hours. Are they maybe building your fuel pump bracket, or supplying the parts in any way? Try to break it down a little bit, into greater detail, and forum members will most likely help out with advice, and personal experiences.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Labor cost for HKS Twins, Fuel system, Head gasket, Cams?

MONSTER said:

Are you supplying all the parts? If so, that's way too high. I guess they are gonna pull the engine out to do it, but still it's too much. $4500 translates into approx 70 hours of labor, and if you go by the Toyota labor guide, it amounts up to around 35-40 hours. Are they maybe building your fuel pump bracket, or supplying the parts in any way? Try to break it down a little bit, into greater detail, and forum members will most likely help out with advice, and personal experiences.
Thanks for the reply...that cost is for labor alone. They are supplying the twins kit, fuel system (hks in-tank pump, not much in the way of bracket fabrication needed), cams, etc. The prices they quoted me were seperate - one for parts, one for labor. I'm guessing if I decide not to do the headgasket and studs that would save alot of time (I have gotten mixed feedback on the worth of either at these power levels).

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i got qoutes from sound performace for ~$1000 for the turbo install and ~$1000 for the fuel system. but im sure if they just yanked the motor(which i think they would prolly do in this case) it might be cheaper. as far as the cams and the head gasket, it cant be another $2500 for the install on those so the price you got qouted is high. ide say close to at most 3K for everything installed is more realistic, but still high at that. and if you are buying the parts from the same place that would be installing them ide expect to pay less for install, more like 2000-2500 since you are already going to be spending over 10grand on parts alone

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Demon,

Give me a private message of where you got the qoute for. Maybe I can help you out with a referral or something. There are a few good tuners in so. cal that can do the work.

W

·
0 Posts
Why are you replacing the head gasket? The HKS twin kit is an absolute bitch to install, the fuel system just time consuming, and the cams trivial. The head gasket would be costly but unnecessary.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Walser said:
Why are you replacing the head gasket? The HKS twin kit is an absolute bitch to install, the fuel system just time consuming, and the cams trivial. The head gasket would be costly but unnecessary.
Only under their recommendation. I have been given mixed advice as to the usefulness of replacing the head gasket and studs, so for now will probably give it a miss. I'm thinking if I can get labor to be around $2500-3000 I can let myself sleep at night =)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
sounds like SPEED PRIDE ENGINEERING??? :-D if not, they are a pretty well know supra tuner down in So. Cal.

well i heard they do clean work but are petty up there in price... it seems a bit high to just install those parts even though if they have to pull the engine...

i'm sure there are a few other tuners down in So cal that are well known and just as good. i'm not too aware of any though sorry

howabout have a well knowledgeable friend help ya and save a few $$$ and learn about the car!? :)

good luck eitherways!

J

·
0 Posts
i have one curious question for you guys

i wonder that do you guys save the Tax fee if you paid Cash to the shop for installation or buying parts(in USA)? it just my curious question, thanks:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts