Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In May I'm going to do a decent size install... how much is a fair amount of TIME for each of these mods? This is for a shop that KNOWS what they're doing mind you...

(THESE ARE MY UNINFORMED GUESSES!!)

Blitz Nur Spec - < 1 hour
XERD headers - 1 hour
Apex Air Filter - < 1 hour
Unorthodox CAMs - 2 hours
Apex AFC-II - 2 hours
TRD Short Shifter - 1 hour
Unorthodox Pulleys - 1 hour
White Gauge Faces - 1 hour ?

Just trying to get an idea without getting raped...

·
11,221 Posts
You can do the white gauges yourself. That one takes about 40 mins. It's nothing hard, just tedious. There's a write-up on mkiv.com

Also you can do the SAF yourself too. Last time it took me about 45 mins to install one in a car's friend. And I was doing other things at the same time.

The cams and pulleys might take about 3 hours or so. Headers I'm not sure, as they have to unbolt all them bolts. Exhaust prob takes an hour give or take. You might want to try to install the TRD shifter on yourself too.

Also ~70 an hour is a good rate if you can get that. I know some places that charge 150 an hour which is crap.

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
My shop charged $55 an hour and its top quality...

I would say $400 is a fair price for everything you have listed...

Granted, 50% of those mods are commen sense to install.. Good luck with them and post pics when your finished!

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
The headders might take a little longer than an hour to install. They are not fun if you dont have the right tools.... some of the bolts are tucked away pretty tightly... to save myself the embarassment, ill just tell you that it took a "long" time to do the install.

As far as labor is concerned, the shop that does all of the work on my car charges 78.00 an hour, i dont think thats too bad for the work that they do.

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
Another thing, I thought you were going to IPS motorsports?

Go there! Best installation and labor rates... and they installed 75% of your parts on my supra!....

PM me if you wanna chat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thinking hard about going there....

Just have one little nagging thought-- if something goes wrong post install, don't feel like driving all that way to be taken care of right.... like this...

Go to IPS motorsports (2 hours away)...do nice install....
Something goes wrong (unlikely, but possible)....
Drive 2 hours with problem car or fix the problem in Cleveland with separate shop that's closer to home, but may take advantage since didn't do initial install with them...

How likely is that scenario? Sorry to be paranoid, just checking on these mods impact on reliability...

·
11,221 Posts
Those are mechanical installations, so these's less change of something being wrong. If something goes wrong, it'll be noticeable within a few minutes of driving the car.

Now if it were something electrical or major (turbo install or shit), then I would worry about it. The mods you listed, I wouldn't worry about them "breaking" on you.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
jus bolt the air filter to the maf, and have a friend help you struggle with the exhaust. Then with the rest of the stuff, try and get a package deal on labor and tuning. They will give ya a deal.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Headers + Nur Spec @ 1 1/2 hours
Apexi Air filter @ 25 min
Cams @ 1 1/2 hours
gauge @ 35 min
TRD short shifter @ 40 min
Pulley @ 1 hour

Total time of all togheter installation should be @ 6 hours

·
Registered
456 Posts
man the header and nur spec exhaust you can do yourself, i mean if you are willing to drive to chicago urban customs and i cal install all of that.. most likely

·
Vengeance is mine
907 Posts
counselo1 said:
In May I'm going to do a decent size install... how much is a fair amount of TIME for each of these mods? This is for a shop that KNOWS what they're doing mind you...

(THESE ARE MY UNINFORMED GUESSES!!)

Blitz Nur Spec - < 1 hour
XERD headers - 1 hour
Apex Air Filter - < 1 hour
Unorthodox CAMs - 2 hours
Apex AFC-II - 2 hours
TRD Short Shifter - 1 hour
Unorthodox Pulleys - 1 hour
White Gauge Faces - 1 hour ?

Just trying to get an idea without getting raped...
I would say you are pretty close in your estimates. Maybe a little under in the time but not by much. By sayin Unorthodox cams, you mean cam gears correct? If I was you I wouldnt necessarliy go to a place just because it's the least expensive, you have to remember that quality work costs money. And quality work takes time, if you want everything on your car to be exactly how it was prior (with the new parts) wires run NEATLY, bolts TORQUED to the CORRECT spec etc... it will take more time than for someone to just throw all the crap on your car and send you out the door. Everything is relative, a good shop has good techs and good tools. Good techs and good tools cost money, so to support this shops have to charge more than another shop around the corner with some guy with 3 tools to his name and a careless attitude.

·
NA-T Member
492 Posts
I am down at IPS motorsports a couple times a week. I can assure you nothing will go wrong with the parts you have listed. They are a very capable shop and should have no problem installing your parts. On top of that, they will give you an excellent price. If I didn't do all my own work, I would not hesitate to get it done there.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
vtecdc5 said:
man the header and nur spec exhaust you can do yourself, i mean if you are willing to drive to chicago urban customs and i cal install all of that.. most likely
Yep Mark and Ray know their stuff pretty good. But he's kinda far from Chicago LOL. But if you do decide to go to Chicago Counselo1 you'd get a discount on the labor since Mark (vtecdc5)works for the company you bought the header from ;)

Regards,
Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts