Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried many turbos ranging from an sp57 .58 p-trim to a t72 .81 q-trim and I have decided there is NO reason to go with a small turbo unless you do road courses or if you never run over 18 psi. Up to 18 psi, I've found that all the turbos yield almost identical power, but there is a huge difference in spooling in the low gears, especially 1st. So, for the street, I would recommend something about as small as possible. You won't really be missing out on power but the car will be tons more responsive and more fun to drive.

The power my car is making at 22 psi with the T72 is just insane compared to smaller turbos I've tried. I don't know what kind of numbers it's putting out, but I was just out tuning on the street and I could hardly tune the car in 4th gear because there was no traction LOL. This turbo kicks ass. The spooling isn't half bad either, except in 1st it kind of sucks.

-Paul

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I assume you drag race then?

I don't see the point in getting a turbo in which you can't use the power effectively.

I was just thinking yesterday after not being able to get traction in [email protected] with my T78: I could have gone with a smaller turbo and been happier because I would still have all the practical power I needed with better response/spool. I don't drag/road race, so I really don't need hella power.

Btw, I'm on 295s with only 1500 miles on them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You must not be drag racing. For top end/freeway racing, the larger turbo will win. In just about every other motorsport, like drag racing, road course, slolam and just about everything else where you are not trying just for top speed, you need a properly sized turbo.

This comes into play also with street driven automatic Supras. Unless you plan to squeeze at every stoplight.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drag race some, but the majority of the time I race from 50-60 mph. I love highway racing and often run 25+ psi, so I think the T72 is good for my needs. You're right, such a big turbo isn't ideal for racing around town. With the AEM's 2-step, however, I can get it to launch fairly well at 4700-5500 rpm. The lag really isn't that bad, especially with a cast manifold. RPM-wise, it's not spooling a whole lot slower than other turbos I've used. I usually have spare turbos laying around and it only takes me 30-45 min to swap them, so I'll probably end up going back and forth sometimes, depending what kind of racing I want to do that day. =)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I can appreciate less lag myself. I had one of the quickest spooling T66's and I miss it. I used to think even that had lag :).

I'll probably downside in the future for more streetable use.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, there's no perfect turbo. =P That's why you gotta have two! I saw some cool looking quick-disconnect v-band clamps at a local shop. I think I might get one and see if it fits. That'll save me a little time switching back and forth between turbos. =D

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I really think it depends.......I like the bigger turbos because when I'm driving to the gas station I don't want to have all 800rwhp there at that moment ;) but at the same time, if someone is at a stop light and wants to run, then man big turbos suck for stop light to stop light fun :( Also on the freeway the big turbos are soooooooooooo much more fun :D I guess I've never really extensively tried out the smaller ones as the only people I know have big ones and I'm still stuck with the stock pea shooters :(

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Big turbos + spray = best of both worlds ;)

I agree though - I started out with a PHR Stage 2 - and now have an SP74 GTQ .81 - and love it. The top end rush is really nuts.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim Swantko said:
Big turbos + spray = best of both worlds ;)

I agree though - I started out with a PHR Stage 2 - and now have an SP74 GTQ .81 - and love it. The top end rush is really nuts.
My T61 .58 was really great from 40mph rolls, and I would pull everything up to 120mph, and not let anyone get a jump on me, not even vipers with the low rpm TQ. But after that I would get killed. I have .81ar on it right now and like it much better. I dont see how big turbo would be better since it will not make much more HP at the same boost level of lets say 18psi. I race T66 with smaller ar and was able to pull him a little. But than again i do have VPC. I think big turbos are good for drag racing only. Paul, how would you compare your t61 with this turbo. Can you tell big difference on top end? What AR did you run on the T61? I ask since my car does very well with everything out there.

P.S. I also race t72 and was able to get a jump and stay ahead up to 130mph.

·
How does my exhaust smell
1,014 Posts
Spanki said:
I dont see how big turbo would be better since it will not make much more HP at the same boost level of lets say 18psi. I race T66 with smaller ar and was able to pull him a little. But than again i do have VPC.
A T61 is not a small turbo. The 60-1 is. The inducer wheel on a T61 is only 8% smaller than a T66, other than that, they are very close.

Now, take two cars with similar mods, and a similar state of tune. One with a small turbo 60-1 (i.e. SP57, SP60), the other with a large turbo SP74, at 18psi, the small turboed car would get raped on the freeway (or any race from a roll).

A nice medium sized turbo is a good compromise.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
I also agree. my huuge SP77 hardly has any lag with my 4K stall. My eclipse actually is laggier. I say get what you want in terms of power. Lag is overated.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
I also agree. my huuge SP77 hardly has any lag with my 4K stall. My eclipse actually is laggier. I say get what you want in terms of power. Lag is overated.
that comment really makes me want to take a ride in this thing...well its not as if i didnt before hand :D but that type of power with not-that-bad lag...wow

Mark

·
supraman
632 Posts
If a T61 .68a/r -----T63 .68a/r ------and a T67 .68 a/r was to drag from a standing start to say 120. Which one would win?:D

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I would much rather have a car that gains 250rwhp within 1000rpm while already moving, then have the linear acceleration also commonly associated with a smaller turbo. The feeling of all hell breaking loose at 4500rpms is a bigger rush to me. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as the "all hell breaking loose" isn't with regard to your ass end breaking free at 65mph in third and your car winding up in the ditch ;)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spanki-
I liked the T61 .58 I had; it was a good turbo. The T72 DOES appear to be making more power at 18 psi than my T61 did. Compare the fuel requirements at the following rpms. It will give you some idea.

T61: 4000:151 5000:159 6000:158 7000:146
T72: 4000:177 5000:183 6000:178 7000:158

The T72 appears to be flowing 8-15% more air at 18 psi, which equates to I have no idea how much power, but it does feel a little faster. The turbo I had in my car before the T72 was an sp67 .7 p-trim, and it's fuel requirements were literally identical to the T72.

Craig King-
At 4200-4500 rpm with my T72, all hell really does break loose LOL. I started setting the gain/response on my boost controller to zero instead of 100%. That way it slows the spooling way down after 12 psi or so and really helps keep traction. Blitz DSBC kicks ass!

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Paul- you are the man sticking up for the T61, small turbos are the best dude, you tell them, i love my 60-1 and can't wait to swap my A/R with you to get the .58.

IMO, you dont need a gigantic turbo, i mean lets be reasonable here, not every car on the road has 500rwhp! you don't need really more than that, a simple small single turbo can get you that, its alot more fun to have a responsive turbo just step on it and fly past a car, then to downshift and go, as paul was saying he pulls everything up to 120-130, thats impressive, just shut down there and he wins, quick little car hes got.

Brett

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Like MK4Life mentioned, a larger turbo coupled with a high stall gives you the best of both worlds. :) My car feels less laggy with my 67/4000 stall than it did with the twins/3500 stall.

Everyone should have an auto and the world would be a less laggy, more powerful, better place. :D (No flames please, it was just a joke...sorta).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts