Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hung out with a great group of LS1.com folks today at Brothers Performance in Corona. We all got together to thrash our cars on the dyno, BS and have a good time.

All the LS1's made well over 300hp to the wheels, I saw a WS6 make just under 340rwhp, just bolt on mods. These are damn strong cars.

A heads/cam C5 (auto) made ~367 rwhp on motor, and 492/499 on a 150 shot. Thing just screamed when he squeezed it :).

I made 425.4rwhp/447.8rwt at 19 psi on 100 octane Union 76 unleaded. CF was 1.04, 87 degrees at 550ft. No ice anywhere on motor or IC.

Mods:

1) BCC
2) RMM DP
3) TRD Cat-back (old style)
4) Hallman MBC
5) Mohd's EGR plate
6) NGK 6097's @ .036

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
wow - those #'s seem very high for straight BPU.....

congrats!

Jay

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Philly Single:
<STRONG>wow - those #'s seem very high for straight BPU.....

congrats!

Jay</STRONG>
I was surprised myself. My next 2 runs dropped about 10hp/10tq as the IC heat soaked.

Most of the LS1 guys dyno'd slightly lower than they had before, no ones #'s seemed inflated by a suspect dyno.

I have spent lots of time tracking down boost leaks and old hoses. I suspect attention to the details finally paid off.

Plus I am far from the first to put down decent #'s at BPU.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by KING:
<STRONG>Great numbers. What did the LS1 crowd think of a Supra with basic bolt-ons? Zach Pruett did 433rwhp with only a dp, pull hoses and an exhaust.....

Tozer</STRONG>
I don't think I disappointed them, let's put it that way. I took a few folks for a ride, and let one of the guys drive it ("This car is scary fast :)). The LS1 guys all seemed like open minded car guys to me, mutual respect on both sides.

Ice on the IC/Intake may have been worth a few more horsepower, but I didn't want to appear to be cheating. The guy running the dyno told me I should spray N2O on the IC next time ;).

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Silver Orchid SP60:
<STRONG>Nice numbers Chip! Sounds like a very strong running car. Seems like your attention to detail and good tunig paid off.</STRONG>
Thanks Ced. I'm not sure I'll mod much further, maybe a fuel controller.

I figure I'll spend a few bucks on a drum of VP 104 octane to keep in the garage :).

~$2.80/gal in a 54 gallon drum. Mixed 50/50 with pump premium it will last me a while.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great #'s, Chip! That's ~ 500 at the crank, not bad for BPU, eh?

What's the EGR plate mod, and have you also ran the 3330s? Opinions? (I have 3330s @ .032")

Thanks

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 6 fiend:
<STRONG>Great #'s, Chip! That's ~ 500 at the crank, not bad for BPU, eh?

What's the EGR plate mod, and have you also ran the 3330s? Opinions? (I have 3330s @ .032")

Thanks</STRONG>
Thanks 6 fiend.

The plate mod is just a thin piece of aluminum that blocks the EGR valve off from the intake manifold. It fits in place of the factory gasket. My EGR was leaking boost when I pressurized the intake, the plate completely eliminated the leak. I had done the cap/resistor mod, but it didn't prevent leaks.

All the stock EGR stuff stays in place, just blocked by the plate. Takes about 10 minutes to install. I bought it from Mohd on the mkiv.com mailing list.

I want to try the NGK 3330's. I may close the gap back down to .034" just to be on the safe side, but there was no obvious missing on the dyno at .036".

M

·
0 Posts
Congrats Lagtime, those are some pretty impressive numbers. It must have been nice to see the looks on the LS-1 crowd's face's. :eek: Mike D.

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Lagtime:
<STRONG>

~$2.80/gal in a 54 gallon drum. Mixed 50/50 with pump premium it will last me a while.</STRONG>
Chip,

where do you get 104 octane for 2.80 a gallon! where can i get it? thanks

im in norcal.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by CMKIV:
<STRONG>Chip,

where do you get 104 octane for 2.80 a gallon! where can i get it? thanks

im in norcal.</STRONG>
A local performance shop will order it for me at that price.

100 Octane at the pump is $4.79.

Check out www.vpracingfuels.com

D

·
0 Posts
hey lagtime im in the corona area we should hook up sometime, i want to dyno my car soon i am bpu+++ hope i am pleasently surprised like you were, nice #'s.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by deavenly1:
<STRONG>hey lagtime im in the corona area we should hook up sometime, i want to dyno my car soon i am bpu+++ hope i am pleasently surprised like you were, nice #'s.</STRONG>
If you are ready Saturday morning (21 July) you can get 3 pulls for $40.00 at Brothers in Corona, same place I dyno'd.

One of the LS1 guys was setting up a dyno day for the autocross crowd, but he hasn't gotten much response so there are lots of slots open.

If you decide to go I'll probably show up. I want to try a smaller gap on my plugs to see if I pick up or lose power.

D

·
0 Posts
i'll call them up tomorrow, for a slot, what plug's are you using? and what is the gap? i just lowered the gap on my denso iridium's and my car really came alive and idle went up and smoothed out . alot of $ but worth it.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<STRONG>i'll call them up tomorrow, for a slot, what plug's are you using? and what is the gap? i just lowered the gap on my denso iridium's and my car really came alive and idle went up and smoothed out . alot of $ but worth it.</STRONG>
I think you can just show up, they open at 9am. First come, first served.

I use NGK 6097's at .036".

D

·
0 Posts
hey i called them today, your right, first come first serve, i there 9:00am. you gonna roll?

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<STRONG>hey i called them today, your right, first come first serve, i there 9:00am. you gonna roll?</STRONG>
I got busy around the house today, never gapped my plugs down. I'll come down to check out your car and watch, but no dyno for me.

Plus it's a good excuse to drop some 100 octane in the tank since the 76 station is only a couple of miles away.

See ya around 9am.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Lagtime ]

·
462 Posts
Great Dyno...your car is strong!

I need to get on a dyno very soon...

BTW, where did you find the leaks/bad hoses? Which hoses did you change?

Later.

ps Pretty funny & good reading thread on ls1.com...I saw you post the dyno numbers at BPU...cant wait till I get on the dyno to see just where I am!

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Hboostn97TT ]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts