Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LAMP FAILURE INDICATION PROBLEM FIX ( AFTER INSTALLING NEWER '97-'98 TAILLIGHTS ON OLDER '93-'96 SUPRA'S ):

In order to fix the problem, you need to locate the lamp failure sensor box which is in the rear quarter panel on the driver's side ( behind the panel with the rear hatch area light). It is a small rectangular purple in color electrical box which is clipped in the panel from the inside pocket with just the purple clip showing portruding the panel. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...r92551/LFS1.jpg
Squeeze the clip to pop the box free from the panel and pull it out of the pocket with the harness clipped to the sensor box. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...r92551/LFS3.jpg
Unplug the wire harness from the box and then take the backplate off with a small screwdriver to expose the electrical board. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...r92551/LFS4.jpg
This next step is a little difficult and have to be very careful not to mess the electrical board up and the electrical pins. Gently try to get the electrical board out of the plastic box container without tweaking the pins. Once you can get the electrical board out of the container flip it to the side with the integrated chip and the two resistors that are suspended & soldered to vertical posts. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...iluresensor.jpg
These two resistors need to be changed to higher resistant value. The 2.7k resistor needs to be changed to 5.1k and the 6.2k resistor needs to be changed to a 30k resistor. Radio Shack does not carry these. I heard you can acquire these through a company called Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com) (1-800-346-6873) they cost .12 cents each.
Part numbers are
(273-5.1k) for the 5.1k resistor
(273-30k) for the 30k resistor
The higher value resistor (30k) goes closest to the black integrated chip. The lesser value resistor (5.1k) is the one that will be furthest from the black integrated chip.
Once that is done, it would be best to touch up all the solder joints on the backside of the electrical board just to ensure all the connections are soldered and the pins are solid connection. Then test the board by plugging the wire harness to the electrical board and turn on headlight switch fully and to ensure lamp failure indication in dash is not lit. Then to test it, unplug a taillight bulb from its socket, the lamp failure indication should light up like normal. If it does this, the problem is fixed and you can reassemble the electrical board back in its plastic box and put the car back together and your done. No more annoying warning light up in the dash when you have your lights on unless of course you blow another bulb out.

Information contributed by speedracer

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
. I heard you can acquire these through a company called Mouser Electronics
:scratch:

I think I said that.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264078

and this is already in the FAQ section with pictures that work.

Just in case someone is looking and see this thread without the pics.

But I think Steve Jarvis's explanation is better than mine, I tend to leave out information that in my mind is implied. I'm also tricky and clearly state to put mirror style images in..... just to see whos paying attention.

Ishii

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Thanks Steve Jarvis and Ishii, I submitted the whole write up to Steve Jarvis to be Red Sticky'd so it would be at the beginning of the MKIV Technical but for whatever reason the link cannot access the pictures when it was posted by Steve Jarvis. I have been answering everyone's posts that has had the problem with the LFS over the past few years after I was rear ended and had my taillights upgraded to the newer 98 ones and I experienced this problem first hand and fixed my problem. I figured if it were Sticky'd I wouldn't have to answer these posts and it could be found on the Technical page.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
Funny. I just did the swap on my car and I have been looking for the resistors. I did the swap before this thread and posted in another thread. Good work

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
NICE! I've been looking to do this for a while now but last time I tried to I was going to end up paying close to $30 for what would have been 24 cents in parts for the 2 resistors due to the minimum order they used to have at mouser for these things. Instead I just found it easier to remove the lightbulb, but I hate ghetto fixes. Not that I'm cheap, but it's the principle of paying 3,400% more for a part lol.

I just did it now and it took me about 15 minutes including taking apart the rear corner panel, testing, and reinstalling. I spent $8, parts were $2.00 and shipping was about $6. Popped the lightbulb back in and it works GREAT, as it should! :bigthumb:

·
DaveH disciple
368 Posts
pics aren't available...page not found.....strange....

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Flipped and mirrored to avoid confusion

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
LOL my bad Ishii!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was going to try this, but how many watts do the resistors need to handle, is any 30k ohm and 5.1k ohm good enough ? or is it some special kind ?

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
They're only like $2 for the parts plus like $4 for shipping but hell.. I'll just toss a couple of them in an envelope for you and stick a stamp on it. PM me.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
if anyone has resistors left and could send me each one, I would really appreciate it :) ... of course I pay you... the 40k is backordered and I want that done asap ;)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts