Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is why: 8 channel AEM Twin Fire install difficulties

so i got my aem twin fire in the mail today from aem so I went out to my car to go install it. Its an 8 channel cause im running the stock ecu. So I followed the instructions 100% and the car will fire up but die 2 seconds later. So I proceed to call AEM to see whats up they tell me to check and see if the coils are firing. So I install new plugs and pull out the coils and tap the triggers to ground and sure enough all 6 fire correctly so I verifired that everything is working correctly. So I called AEM back and they are stumped they have no clue. So I proceed to call Horsepowerfreaks to see if they know what could be wrong. They dont. I then call WOTM they dont know either (go figure they only know how to order stuff not make stuff). So I then proceed to call boost logic they didnt know either. So i figured I'd try the gods of Titanmotorsports. It turns out they didnt know either. Should've guess that since they are MOTEC gods not AEM gods. On a Side not The funny thing was all the shops told me we can send you a HKS DLI and that will work. Well if I wanted a DLI in the first place I would have ordered one but thanks for trying to make a sale instead of trying to help me out.

So then I proceed to ask Larry from Sound Performance and sure enough he said your going to need 3 MSD Tach Adapters PN 8912 for it to work and then he explains to me that "the igf signal is used by the ecu to determine if the ignition system is working. the igf signal will keep power supplied to the fuel pump and injectors without that signal the ecu will start the car momentarily then stall."

Which is exactly what was happening to me. Then he said "the aem cdi is wired in between the ignition system and the ecu so the ecu cant find the signal anymore thats why your car isnt working. Your going to need PN 8912 Tach Adapters from MSD. 3 of them for the AEM 8 channel to work on your supra".

So I proceed to thank Larry order some tach adapters get them install them and sure enough the car starts up 1st try. I just want to publically thank Larry Prebis for sharing his knoledge with me. For throughly explaining what the problem was and how to fix it not trying try to make a sale saying why dont you just use the hks dli. Every since larry helped me out ive been having great success with my AEM 8 channel.

Thank you Larry for all your help.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
I'm glad to see you you got your issue resolved, but was it really necessary to bash the other shops? If you want to bash someone, it should be AEM for not knowing that their product would require additional purchases to work properly in your application.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i am in no way bashing the other shops. Im just saying if you really want some tech support for your supra sound performance is the place to ask. they were the only shop that tried to help me not just try to make a sale. Even though larry's shop isnt the closest to me he now has my business from now on thats for sure. With the other shops they just scratched thier head and then said We have the hks dli in stock that will work. Larry was the only one who went ABOVE and BEYOND to help me out.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Glad to help and thanks for the kind words!!

I think the fact that I have been working on supras longer than all of the other shops combined.... and that I do the work myself helps!!

Anytime you guys need some tech support, give me a call. My cell # is 630 205 6690!!

Larry

·
Boost Junkie
12,743 Posts
Damn,

That is a lot of devices to make the AEM work properly. Glad I got the DLI. Yea, Lars knows his stuff!

Steve

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
People probably get sick of seeing me post my great experiences with SP and Larry, but it's for the community's benefit. With so many fly-by-night companies out there it's important to let others know of where you can go and not be fearful of being "taken" or getting top notch service. They've been around for MANY MANY years supporting Supra's and other cars, and the reason they are STILL around is because of the support they offer, and great products.

Great to hear you got such service. Larry loves what he does, and it shows. While sometimes he is unbelievably busy he still manages to get back to everyone. I'm fortunate to have him locally, but seeing supra's in the parking lot from 4-5 other state license plates tells me just how valued SP's experience and dedication is.

Chris

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Glad to help and thanks for the kind words!!

I think the fact that I have been working on supras longer than all of the other shops combined.... and that I do the work myself helps!!

Anytime you guys need some tech support, give me a call. My cell # is 630 205 6690!!

Larry

I can only imagine how many poeple will start calling you know :) I give you two weeks before you change your cell # lol

Honestly though, it's good to have people like you around.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Why don't you ever answer my calls Larry????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
supradup said:
here is why: 8 channel AEM Twin Fire install difficulties

On a Side not The funny thing was all the shops told me we can send you a HKS DLI and that will work. Well if I wanted a DLI in the first place I would have ordered one but thanks for trying to make a sale instead of trying to help me out.
I'm sure all those shops are happy to spend minutes and hours of trouble shooting time w/ someone who has brought them $0 in buisness... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
Why don't you ever answer my calls Larry????????????????????????????????????????????

Reasons why:

A) You call me 25 times per day

B) Most calls have nothing to do with anything important by any stretch of the term

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Reasons why:

A) You call me 25 times per day

B) Most calls have nothing to do with anything important by any stretch of the term

You cannot tell me that the voicemails I left weren't full of valuable information.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts