Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone, please bare with me as my post is rather long, but it took this much space to fully explain the situation at hand.

Lar, I've got a lot of questions for you about your transmissions. I know I should really give you a call at the shop, but I'd figure it'd be easier for you here and you wouldn't have to take the time out of the working day. Ok i'm going to run it down.

First let me describe my situation. My stock transmission went out at the beginning of December, I took it to a local transmission shop that I thought would be of the best quality for the area. American Transmission. I got a tour of the work area, and was told all of their qualifications and was confident they would do a good job. They charged me 1200 to rebuild the transmission back to stock specs. I got the car back 3 days after it was promised. Right after I got the car back, it went into the paint shop to get my front and rear bumpers painted. A week later I got the car back. It was having problems with the check engine light and trac off light coming on and the car shutting off. I got all of that resolved in another week and a half. It works for a few days and then my intercooler blows. It took me until the 31st to get my intercooler. I installed it in that day and now on last Friday the car didn't want to shift into second gear. So I drop it off at the shop, knowing full well that I had a 12 month, 12000 mile warranty. They tell me that they will put it on the ASAP list and try to get it back to me Saturday. I hear from them Saturday and they were "having problems" and it looks like it will be ready Monday. So I call on Monday and they say that they had to order parts because they didn't have them in house. So I say thats fine, and ask when it will be ready, they tell me Tuesday. I call back Tuesday and speak to a different guy, he tells me that they had to get parts and that he knew it wouldn't be ready "today." So I calmy talked to him and asked him to make sure he called me when he got the parts in so I would know when to expect the car ready. He said he would call. Well I get home from school today and my mother tells me they called and spoke with her. They told her that the transmission had failed because it was driven wrong, they said there was burnt rubber in the fenderwell and that the rear tires were nearly bald. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but when you have a 12 month warranty you expect the company/shop to stand behind their product and fix it to make the customer happy. Also, correct me again if i'm wrong when I say that i've been told over and over that the Toyota tranny is good to 500+ horsepower? My car was dynoed at a mere 370rwhp. And the whole time after the rebuild, it was under boost for a period of maybe 4 days. 4 days under 17psi sparingly on a supposedly new and rebuilt transmission shouldn't cause it to fail would you think? Well thats the story their pulling. They're telling me it is now going to cost me $1450 to repair it. For 1450 dollars I could buy a stock used tranny and put it in for less then 1000. Now what do you suggest I do? I should be going in to talk to them about the situation tommorrow. As of right now my decision is to have my car towed from American and taken to my house until I can figure out what to do. There is no way I paying them to do it again when they couldn't get it right the first time.

Ok, so now I have the dilemma of what to do. I know I want an SP Tranny with a 2800 or 3200 stall. What I don't know is how i'm going to afford it. I've got about 1200 on tap right now that I can drop straight on my transmission. And i'd love to be able to get one of yours. I do believe I read in another thread that you finance. Can you give me a rundown on what kind of options you have and payment plans? Also, do you think it would be better to have my car shipped up to you and have you do the work, or just get the tranny from you and have someone in my area do the work. Keep in mind i'm in Jacksonville Florida. If you know of any shops/companies in the area that know transmissions and know Supras let me know. Also, if you'd rather me call me the shop to discuss it, I can do that also.

Everyone, once again i'm sorry the thread is so long but I had to tell somebody my story, and I was hoping you guys could give me some insight on my options. If you made it the whole way through, thanks and please give me your opinions. I want the best tranny for the money and the least downtime as possible, ah, i'm doing crazy here.

TIA,
Matt

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Damn Matt - that sucks.

Let's see - Does their warrently/contract have any conditions on it? Either way, I'd say they would have a hard time proving exactly when all that rubber ended up on your wheel wells. For all they know, that happened before you took it there the first time!

$1450 is bullshit IMO...they should honor their warrenty, did they expressly tell you NOT to powerbrake, drive hard..etc? Bottom line, I doubt they can prove when you did that...not that is should matter anyway. I mean, it sounds like you had it for only a few weeks?! right?

Contact the BBB...sounds like another L10 type company. A new tranny done right will hurt...trust me...I know - but you'll like it in the long run - try SP...I'm getting mine built by Pro-Tech in NY for $3k - full warrenty - lots of new custom built "stuff" in there too. Hell, we (pro-tech and I) even talked about how this WILL be dragged..on slicks..etc - they're backing it up.

Good luck and keep us posted.
jay

Pro-Tech

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Matt,

I agree with Philly. Don't give up so easily. Talk to the owner of the shop first. See if they'll refund your money, or most of it, then work on the SP option. Or see if they'll re-do the work (though it's liable to turn out the same next time). Talk to the BBB. Call that dork Ken Amara from the local TV station who claims to expose cheats and correct wrongs. Give them hell, but start out gentle and see if they will correct their error.

Steve

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
We do have financing available but it is through a finance company and works much like a credit card. Sometimes 90 days same as cash is available but if you pay on the 91st day, they charge you all the interest. You must have good credit or be able to get a cosigner.

Any competent tranny shop will be able to R&R it. No need to ship it up here for the install.

Lar
SP

M

·
0 Posts
Contact your state Attorney General, Office for Consumer Protection. They are usually located in your state capital city, and you can send them a letter explaining the situation, and how the shop is trying to avoid honoring the warranty. They will investigate, and contact the shop. The moment the shop gets a letter from them (or a call), watch them change the tune and work with you to resolve this. It also doesnt cost you anything, and is much more powerful than BBB. I had a used $17000 car break down on me in under 200 miles, they wanted $4000 to fix it (brand new timing belt skipped, they just installed it before the sale), but after contacting the Attorney Generals office I got the car back fixed at no cost to me. Car ran like a dream under hard boost for the next 3 years.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
did you pay with a credit card if so stop payment asap!tell them they sold you a defective item and they wont warranty it now bald tires prove nothing!except that you drive alot !

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Philly Single- I'm 90% sure that the warranty doesn't have any conditions on it. They never mentioned any, other then the fact that it was driven wrong so they aren't going to honor it. They never told me not to powerbrake, drive hard or do anything. But the thing is, I drove it under like 4-10 psi for almost a month because I was having intercooler/electrical snags. I only drove it like I normally do for about 4 days when it failed.

Steve- Thanks for the advice. I'm going to the shop tommorrow with my father and we'll sit down and I'm going to lay out the facts in front of them, calmy and surely. The thing i'm worried about is if I do convince them to redo it, that they will do another shotty job and I will be out of luck later down the line. Oh yea, let me know when you get that SP74 on, i'm first in line for a ride!

Lar- Thanks man. I appreciate the advice. For right now, it looks like i'm leaning towards buying a stock used one and having it put in. I don't have the money and resources for a single anytime soon, so I feel that a good WORKING stock tranny will be sufficient. I will definately be ordering my tranny from you when I get further towards the single route though.

Monster- Good idea man. I'm going to try and resolve it, get a partial refund or maybe full and move on. But if not then I will definately be talking to the Attorney General. Matters like this disturb me alot. It's the fact that they're screwing with my prized possession, and that I don't have it in my sight! :(

Ranger- Yea, I payed with a CC. If I can't get it sorted out, stopping payment is another option I've already looked into, thanks though man. Also, the bald tire thing is complete bs to begin with. I only have about 8k miles on them, there is at least 50% tread left.

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

Matt

·
10,459 Posts
well i would stop payment and turn this whole thing around on them and make them sweat it out !

keep copys of all the recipts you have and take pics and all to backup your story !

·
Registered
532 Posts
mkivmatt, not related to the subject but, are u the guy tho outbidded me on ebay for the clear turns signals??? lol
kevin
aka jadefox99

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Chargeback..

First of all - notify your CC company NOW! Do NOT wait or you may not be able to charge this back, notify them as soon as you think there may be a problem. Also, get your car the hell out of their shop! Do you REALLY want it in there while you're arguing about their crappy work or having a chargeback done? They'll screw with your car - you can bet on it. When a chargeback is done th emoney is pulled from their account no questions asked and they must argue to get it back - it makes merchents VERY unhappy to say the least as it's a pretty rude shock. Your CC company may have a limitation on the time they're willing to do this so call them NOW and at least let them know this may be a big problem requiring their attention.

Sit down with them one more time, make no threats, don't tip your hand, but if they refuse to take care of things at that sitting pull the car out right then - on a hook if you must! For that matter - don't let them rebuild the tranny, ask for a refund straight out. Between that and the $1200 you've got perhaps financing what's left with SP won't be so bad? If you're having problems with them now you can bet you will later on too!

Oh, and all this time they've been "ordering parts"? Have they done ANY work? Have you looked at your tires? They may very well be bald by now and the rubber in the wheelwells may be theirs! Heh, no reason you can't claim that is there? J/K ;) It wouldn't surprise me if they've been having "fun" with your car assuming it ran well enough to do so :( No matter what, in the end make sure the BBB gets at least one letter concerning their behaviour.

Good luck man. I hate it when this kind of thing happens. It wouldn't surprise me that they've decided you're a young guy they can push around. So long as you've been honest with us in regards to the driving of the car and the electronics issues didn't screw the tranny up I think you're getting jerked around.:mad:

·
10,459 Posts
BLKMGK
good points you made there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts