Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have, sitting in my garage right now:

Greddy Profec B Spec II
Greddy BCC
Greddy Turbo Timer

En route to my home I have

RMM Downpipe
Max Air box

So, that's the BPU stuff to get me started...I'm wondering what else I need to ensure the car runs well with those mods. I'm gonna upgrade my plugs, for example, but which are the best? 1 or 2 heat ranges colder than stock?? What else should I do when I install this stuff?

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
If driven properly those mods are easily good enough to run 12's...how fast exactly do you want the car to be and we can point you in the right direction easier.:)

As for plugs...you can use NGK 6097's or NGK 3330's. I have used both and the 6097's had a smoother idle, so I stuck with those.

Good luck.

Take Care

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TT_6SPD_95 said:
If driven properly those mods are easily good enough to run 12's...how fast exactly do you want the car to be and we can point you in the right direction easier.:)

As for plugs...you can use NGK 6097's or NGK 3330's. I have used both and the 6097's had a smoother idle, so I stuck with those.

Good luck.

Take Care
thanks for the info on the plugs...

as far as speed, for now, I'd like to be trapping ~115. I want to be able to beat stock 03 cobras and mildly modded c5s...nothing too crazy. I can't get too wild with this car right now.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I dont know if you have gauges or not but if you don't you def. should get at least Boost and EGT. Not sure as you didnt have it listed as parts you have.

·
former SVB
1,155 Posts
Run NGK's, did you get an exhaust? Is the airbox pulling cold air? RUN AT LEAST 96 + Octane gas!! This is never stressed enuf, once you have the rice gas in crank the boost to 1.2 for everyday, and 1.4-1.5 at the track. Enjoy. This will run 12 flat at 120.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Run NGK's, did you get an exhaust? Is the airbox pulling cold air? RUN AT LEAST 96 + Octane gas!! This is never stressed enuf, once you have the rice gas in crank the boost to 1.2 for everyday, and 1.4-1.5 at the track. Enjoy. This will run 12 flat at 120.
I have a greddy Titanium exhaust...the intake is a max air box, from what I've been told, the best you can have for the stock twins...as far as getting good gas, it's kinda tough where I live (5min from red c5). The car is my daily driver so running anything more than 91 is gonna be difficult

·
TH400 Club
809 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:
I have a greddy Titanium exhaust...the intake is a max air box, from what I've been told, the best you can have for the stock twins...as far as getting good gas, it's kinda tough where I live (5min from red c5). The car is my daily driver so running anything more than 91 is gonna be difficult
I run 15-16 pounds on 93 so you can run the same amount with 91. Only run race gas at the track if you exeed 17 pounds due to your crappy 91 octane.

I ran 12.5 @ 115.5 with 100 octane on 19psi. Auto.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Willjs7 said:
I run 15-16 pounds on 93 so you can run the same amount with 91. Only run race gas at the track if you exeed 17 pounds due to your crappy 91 octane.

I ran 12.5 @ 115.5 with 100 octane on 19psi. Auto.
Nice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
why should he run AT LEAST 96 octane....i run 18 psi all day on sunoco 94 from the pump....no problems here...if u want to go past 18 psi then it would be a good idea to invest in some race fuel...

also with those mods..slightly modded c5's are fairly easy to beat if you drive correctly...you will be very happy...i have the same mods as you and i can roast the tires froma roll in second gear no problem at 15-16 psi..and at 18 psi 3rd gear can break the tires loose also..

anthony

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
IcedSuPrA said:
why should he run AT LEAST 96 octane....i run 18 psi all day on sunoco 94 from the pump....no problems here...if u want to go past 18 psi then it would be a good idea to invest in some race fuel...

also with those mods..slightly modded c5's are fairly easy to beat if you drive correctly...you will be very happy...i have the same mods as you and i can roast the tires froma roll in second gear no problem at 15-16 psi..and at 18 psi 3rd gear can break the tires loose also..

anthony
You can run 18PSI, but I bet you will pull some timing on a warmer day. Some $5 a gallon race gas on high boost is a hell of alot cheaper than a new shortblock.......just remmeber that.

Jason

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
HotSoup said:
You can run 18PSI, but I bet you will pull some timing on a warmer day. Some $5 a gallon race gas on high boost is a hell of alot cheaper than a new shortblock.......just remmeber that.

Jason
would you say at 17-18 psi on 94 octane in the summer is safe??or do you think it will still pull some timing.....also if the ecu pulls timing it will only casue a loss in power.. when the knocking is so bad that the ecu has no more timing to pull i would say this is whne it will soon be time for a new shortblock...correct me if im wrong...i also want to make sure im at safe levels..

anthony

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
IcedSuPrA said:
would you say at 17-18 psi on 94 octane in the summer is safe??or do you think it will still pull some timing.....also if the ecu pulls timing it will only casue a loss in power.. when the knocking is so bad that the ecu has no more timing to pull i would say this is whne it will soon be time for a new shortblock...correct me if im wrong...i also want to make sure im at safe levels..

anthony
I remember someone a while back logging timing being pulled at 16 PSI on 93, but I cant remember who right this moment. I run 18PSI in the cool weather, but will turn it down when summer gets here. I try to run a 100/93 mix most of the time, so I have a better "cushion" to work with. I cant totally remember this one either, but I think 96 octane is safe to like 20 PSI or so...I am pulling all this from memory so dont totally quote me on this.

Jason

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no problem paying $5 a gallon for good gas, it's the fact that I can't find anything higher than 91 anywhere around here that's stopping me!! If anyone knows of a station within 15 miles of me (lafayette, CA) that sells anything higher than 91, please PM me!!

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Depending on mileage, make sure the car is running healthy before all these parts are slapped on. This will help troubleshooting tremendously later on and ensure a reliable car.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would get dereks alcohol injection kit. I live in the east bay too and think its the most cost effective way to run higher boost with the crappy 91 we have here. If you do a search theres a lot of information about it on this forum. But if you want to run race gas there is erc in hayward.
http://www.ercracingfuels.com/

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
I have run my car bpu for the last 4 years on pump 93 octane and have never had a problem with detonation. I run basic bpu mods plus fmic and 6097 plugs gapped at .028, Few weeks ago in texas I ran a [email protected] on 100 octane and dr's on a 6sp. If 91 octane is all that is at the pumps just make sure you dont get into stupid high end pulls above 120. I have never run a boost controller but rather just pulled the hose on the wastegate . I never get a spike and it always sticks around 20psi in 4th gear. I have the spec 2 hooked up in my car but found that I lost power having it connected, so now I use it as an expensive boost guage until next week when the single gets finished up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts