Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the highest lateral G's you've seen on a supra without a tube frame or any of that kind of stuff? Like all poly bushings and the suspension goodies? Just wondering I dont know too much about supras... But I like the board! Supras are nuts, Ive been hooked since the bryce and jun supra videos!
-Nick

E

·
0 Posts
On Race tires with grippy concrete, my car peaks at a driver limited 1.34g and hold 1.31g.

Less grippy surfaces typically yield peaks of 1.28g and sustaind of 1.22.

Eric

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
I realize that this is sort of a newbie question, but how do you measure your lateral 'g's?

I assume you drove around a skidpad with some kind of measuring device hooked up in the car? 300' skidpad?

TIA.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would doubt the above mentioned figures being for a skidpad, probably just #'s reached on a track or something and measured with an AP-22 or somethin of the sort. If those are actually from a skidpad then GOD DAMN!!! but I doubt it. Interestingly to all the supra is god (I love the car too) a stock 996 can achieve those street tire #'s.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
phillyrollin said:
I would doubt the above mentioned figures being for a skidpad, probably just #'s reached on a track or something and measured with an AP-22 or somethin of the sort. If those are actually from a skidpad then GOD DAMN!!! but I doubt it. Interestingly to all the supra is god (I love the car too) a stock 996 can achieve those street tire #'s.
Some 996s come with 18" PZero System N3s stock from what I understand... big difference from stock Supra tires. :)

...just think how much of a difference the Supra would have in handling if it were shod in 18" PZeros... oh wait... mine is. :D

Stock Z06 is 1.03g in the skidpad, btw. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
phillyrollin said:
Ain't no way in hell a 996 can pull over a 1g on the tires it comes with. I'd say they pull about the same as a stock Supra, assuming equal tires. Although its hard to judge, as I've never driven the 996 and Supra back-to-back on the same course. Did you know all Porsches (even the turbo) have MacPherson struts up front? I wonder why this is....

I prefer BF Goodrich KDs to PZeros anyway.

N

·
0 Posts
Grant said:

Ain't no way in hell a 996 can pull over a 1g on the tires it comes with. I'd say they pull about the same as a stock Supra, assuming equal tires. Although its hard to judge, as I've never driven the 996 and Supra back-to-back on the same course. Did you know all Porsches (even the turbo) have MacPherson struts up front? I wonder why this is....

I prefer BF Goodrich KDs to PZeros anyway.
I agree... tires make a HUGE difference in the numbers. There is no way a stock 996 can pull 1.3g's on street tires, if it does then I guess I'm going to a Porsche dealer to test drive one. I was pretty happy with my results on the KD's and we only measured it once with no tuning or tweaking to the suspension at all.

E

·
0 Posts
Actually SKidpad or long turn is irrelevant. Steady state lateral G's are the same either way.

The speed at which you hit the peak is different dependant on the size of the curve, but the maxium grip is not.

As stated orignally, the numbers are for *RACE* tires, not street tires. Though the tires in question are DOT legal (Hoosier Autocrossers)

Eric

·
Low Miles Sackrider
190 Posts
Actually contrary to what all of u said about a 996 Porsche with stock tires cannot achieve over 1G in lateral excelleration. Road & Track with a Porsche 996 GT2 registered 1.02 Gs with a fully stock set up and this is a street car too.

Gomer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts