Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to launch an NA automatic in a drag race? ive tried power braking but i can never get my tires to peel out.... i have nitto nt555 extreme zr's all around...

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Sorry to say you are SOL. Mine would never spin either unless there was some dirt or water on the road. There just isn't enough HP. With a high stall converter you'd be able to spin/peel out.

R

·
0 Posts
So not true. I've got mine to spin a couple of times and I've also been able to do some burn outs. The spin is easy but very hard on the tranny that's why I don't do it much.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
hold down the brake shift to 1st and gas it to about 3k this will set the car up for a good launch and will get you right in the rpm range you want when racing. the car will feel like its lifting. Then as the light goes yellow to green let off the brake and gun it. shift 2 shift 3rd and your done. Auto's get a better hole shot and are more consistant. And as for spinning the tires i can spin the tires easily in dry weather without power braking if i power brake launch the car i can smoke the tires off the line. I am a auto n/a not a 5-speed. Hope this helps XDreeamer

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more thing, when i shift into 2nd and 3rd... do i let off the gas as i shift, or keep it down

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
urmild said:
one more thing, when i shift into 2nd and 3rd... do i let off the gas as i shift, or keep it down
no. stay on it.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
how do you guys manage to peel out with your autos. i get a chirp here and there but thats it. im even running cheap rear tires. never drag raced...just a street here or there. running riken raptor z4 16's. cost me a whopping 90 bucks each. dont think im cheap tho. they work fine for what i do and are alil smoother for regular driving. little bit less traction that the p7000's but not much difference.

but back on topic...tell me exactly what you do to peel out. i tried on bald tires and couldnt do it. ((the p7000's))

Bob

·
5,059 Posts
I'm running dunlop SP8000's and I can't peel out at all when its dry.
On wet road however I can peel out like crazy. Last month from a stop when the ground was wet I floored it and through 3 gears I was spinning. My speedo read 100mph when infact I was doing more like 10 or 20 it was pretty hot :) My passenger was laughing their ass the whole time it was great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i tried launching my NA today by powerbraking. the max i can get up to when i do is 2.5k rpm, and i get no peel out.. :(

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
I did a bunch of things to my car nothi g crazy but my car peel's really hard off the line and i can get it sideways smoking easily pulling out of a parking lot or what not. ~Brett

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Xdreamer said:
I did a bunch of things to my car nothi g crazy but my car peel's really hard off the line and i can get it sideways smoking easily pulling out of a parking lot or what not. ~Brett
mind elaborating...? what kinds of things did you do. altho i dont really have a necessicty to burn out. my friends rag on me for my car cuz 1. its an auto and 2. i cant burn out.

i just say "hey, autos are more consistent on the drag stip" but right now i dont have an answer to number two...
Bob

·
5,059 Posts
Ok listen up, today was the best day! Turns out my tires were at 20 PSI which is the reason I couldn't burnout at all! I filled them up and bamb! brake torqued and left a cloud of smoke and lost all traction!!!! Urmild check your tire pressure.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
another question

Axionf117 said:
Ok listen up, today was the best day! Turns out my tires were at 20 PSI which is the reason I couldn't burnout at all! I filled them up and bamb! brake torqued and left a cloud of smoke and lost all traction!!!! Urmild check your tire pressure.
how much gas do u give it to brake torque it....im sure you dont completely floor it. ive kept on the brake to about 2400rpms once and when i let off..the car just sat down and jumped forward , no spin. can u tell me exactly what you did.
thanks

also...does giving it gas with the brake pushed hurt the tranny at all? im sure telling the tires to go and not letting them isnt too good for it.
Bob

·
5,059 Posts
When I filled my tires up it was really warm out, and I went to 36psi, max read 44psi on the tires. I'm not sure if thats the correct pressure to use but the handling on the car improved a great deal. When I brake torqued I was leaving rubber up until half way into second gear. First time my car was ever able to do that. I think you are suppose to run like 22PSI at the drag strip for increased traction without spinning as much and I can clearly see how that works now.

·
5,059 Posts
I put the brake to the floor and slowly floor the car until the rpm's are around 2.5k which is the max on our stock stall. Then i take my foot off the brake as fast as I can and I then my tires started braking loose and I looked in the rearview and saw a cloud of smoke and rubber left in the street lol. I was completely shocked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts