Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my TV for 6 years finally took a dive on me last night and it is finally time to get something nice :)

I am in a toss up between LCP and DLP..... what do you guys suggest and way and what manufacturer.

I had the Toshiba 55" LCP in mind..........

Looking for a 50" +

TIA Peeps,

·
4,417 Posts
The new Sony's are bad-ass. I have an older LG which I still love. DLP - no doubt.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
I bought the toshiba 42" and 52" DLP's just two weeks ago. I like them alot. My only problem is the resolution on the 42" is horrible without an HD signal. Even with the S-Video or Component cables for my satelite box the screen is always blurry and the greens and reds like to bleed. The 52" is straight up gorgeous though, I have been playing games and watching movies on that one and it is very startling. It reminds me of the first time I saw an HDTV program, very vivid colors, but my favorite part is the black tones. Very dark greys and blacks, unlike the smaller unit which is always too dark if the screen is set to try to emulate the black levels the show requires. For example the cinematography in CSI is always too dark at the stock setting, but when you correct this the shadows become grey and light. Whats your price range?

ps Jim, I think Sony has abandoned DLP for this year, Samsung was their supplier anyway.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
All three will die out over time. At least with a DLP you can change the bulb ~250-300 dollars. All have their weekpoints and strong points. I have a 52" DLP downstairs, 42" Plamsa for my beadroom and a 20" LCD monitor for my home PC. :) DLP looks the best to me.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,468 Posts
Ball Bearing Supra said:
neither Plasma all the way
werd

DLP looks great, but its still not as vibrant as plasma..

not to mention if you are looking at a projection TV from any angle but straight on, part of the picutre is grey...ie: if you are sitting to the right of the tv and looking at it at an angle..the left of the image will be all grey and blurry..

not to mention..hanging tv on the wall ftw

i just bought my plasma a couple months ago, and am already planning on getting 70 to replace it, to use for our living room once my buddy and i get into our appartment..

·
what comes out the butt?
4,468 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
At night it can be a lttle too bright though, score points for plasma and LCD there.
another good point..

DLP IS...really bright...but still not as vibrant imo...i think colors show absolutely the best on a plasma...

and as for plasma dying..they are so much better than they used to be, mine has a supposed 60K hour lifespan...which translates to about 15 years if i use it 8 hours a day every day...and i 15 years i will most likely have bettter TV's by then..

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I have mine set up at 50-60% brightness. I did find it too bright at first but with it turned down, it looks perfect. I also heard that it can extend the life of the bulb, don't know if there is any truth to that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Used to be that LCD was really the only TV technology capable of displaying in 1080p, but that is no longer the case. Sony's new SXRD (a superior alternative to Texas Instrument's DLP) line has 1080p resolution with a 10,000:1 contrast (advertised, probably much less). Most (if not all) plasma TVs only display in 1080i right now, so the SXRD (JVC has a similar line) not only has a contrat ratio equivalent to plasma , but has superior resolution and comes in sizes up to 70".

·
4,417 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
ps Jim, I think Sony has abandoned DLP for this year, Samsung was their supplier anyway.
True... I think their technology is called SXRD which is in the same price range as DLP and it's very very good.

With DLP you get 90% of the performance of Plasma at about 30% of the cost.

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well i am taking the Rent a Center route and just wait for my settlement to come in next year so they sony have sonys :(

they do have a decent 62" Mitsu DLP

I will keep looking

there damn site isnt working... crap

is there any brands to stay away from in particular??

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Beef said:
well i am taking the Rent a Center route and just wait for my settlement to come in next year so they sony have sonys :(

they do have a decent 62" Mitsu DLP

I will keep looking

there damn site isnt working... crap

is there any brands to stay away from in particular??
That isn't too smart considering the interest they charge. Consider how long it will take to pay off 2g's at double the standard rate and up versus paying off a tv at no money down 0% financing no interest for a year, and maybe 1.5 the regular rate after that year. You save more money.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Semi-OT:

I have a 65" mitsu cinima series. Normal 480i sattalite input looks a bit grainy to me, with some bleeds. 480p DVD (wich I think this thing can up-convert to 1080i on the fly, 3:2) or 1080i from the xbox 360 look friggin great. So, I figured it had to be the sat input. No change with cableling differences between reciever and unit, so if there is an issue it would be farther down stream.

Any ideas? It's a 2 lnb from the dish to 2 stand alone splitters (something I didn't think you could do, but apparetly these are rated for sat use, they pass through voltage). I'm thinking it's got to be something in the splitters, or a ground issue. I guess it's possible that it's the TV's size, but I have no other 480i input to really compare it with :(

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
MadMaxx said:
Semi-OT:

I have a 65" mitsu cinima series. Normal 480i sattalite input looks a bit grainy to me, with some bleeds. I'm thinking it's got to be something in the splitters, or a ground issue. I guess it's possible that it's the TV's size, but I have no other 480i input to really compare it with :(
Sounds like the issue I had. Are you hooked up with coaxial, component, composite or S-Video? Composite and coaxial will look like shit. I had to go out just a few days ago and buy some really expensive (I felt) wires, and now it works perfectly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts