Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Me and my roommates just picked up a projector, and it is nothing short of bad ass. But it probably doesn't suit the requirements you may have.

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
TrueSlideXL said:
That isn't too smart considering the interest they charge. Consider how long it will take to pay off 2g's at double the standard rate and up versus paying off a tv at no money down 0% financing no interest for a year, and maybe 1.5 the regular rate after that year. You save more money.
Well what you are saying is a great idea..... but have a couple of issues

1) No credit
2) I dont have 3gs layin around to fully drop on a TV

So i am wanting to do the RAC way and pay 200 monthly until i can exercise to buy out my contact @ 55% which i know is still a hit but worth it to have a nice TV to watch until i get the $$$$$ to pay it off fully.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
MaliCali said:
werd

DLP looks great, but its still not as vibrant as plasma..

not to mention if you are looking at a projection TV from any angle but straight on, part of the picutre is grey...ie: if you are sitting to the right of the tv and looking at it at an angle..the left of the image will be all grey and blurry..

not to mention..hanging tv on the wall ftw

i just bought my plasma a couple months ago, and am already planning on getting 70 to replace it, to use for our living room once my buddy and i get into our appartment..
Bingo,

for anything that's broadcast in HD assuming you have a HD box and dish plasma cant be beat.

Normal pic no photoshop taken with my EOS.

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ndnxtc said:
If you can't afford it in cash, don't get it.
So you paid for your house and all your cars in cash?? damn must be nice

Ball Bearing Supra said:
I must agree i have never used a credit card in my life.

Not credit... it is a lease agreement

Like i said i know it would be cheaper just to buy it outright but funds are low when you are supporting a worthless fuck and still paying for my beautiful babies + 2 car notes per month. I could always go a year with out Tv at all... but who can honestly say they have done that before???

·
1,793 Posts
Beef said:
Not credit... it is a lease agreement
I've got some great advice for you. I was set on getting a 60-incher (to match my cawk), but with moving into a house, buying new furniture, appliances, landscaping, college, etc; my funds were (are) tight. But I needed a frikkin Hi Def TV. Not wanted, but NEEDED one. I'd been rocking a 27" for years. I went the old school route and got a Samsung 30" CRT that displays 1080i and it looks great. Check out LCD TVs that size and you'd be hard pressed to find one that displays over 720p. 1080 looks great and the TV has 2 HDMI inputs and 2 component inputs for 4 HiDef sources. It's widescreen and is a Samsung "SlimFit", which means it's only like a foot deep. It cost me a whopping $680 back in May. Discovery HD and XBOX360 look incredible on it.

Now, my HDTV needs are met and instead of getting an entry-level big screen, I can save up for what I want while the technology increases and the prices continue to fall. Pioneer has a mega-sweet Elite plasma that displays 1080p, but runs around $7500-8000. In a few years, They'll be down considerably in price, all the HDMI standardization issues will be ironed out, and I'll pick one up. Then the 30" CRT will go to the bedroom.

Go to Circuit Shitty, Worst Buy, or HH Gregg to check one out before you rent to own. They'll have them off to the side somewhere, probably with a non-HD signal being pumped through so it will look like garbage because they don't make much money on them.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Man, I was SO set on that 1080p Samsung DLP, till I saw it in the store. At any angle but dead on it looked 'grey' as someone already said. I L shaped seating arrangement, so it will suck for those not directly facing the TV. Was this TV a dud, or is this typical?

That new Sony looked great...but of all the displays I saw at Circuit City the LG LCD seemed to look the best. I have 14' x 25' of windows (loft)...so my place is bright...

·
Touch me down there
165 Posts
just so ya know 1080p is not worth it right now... almost all signals are 720 right now and when your tvs input is 1080 theres more lines of resolution to fill wil only 720 available.. not the best quality

·
out to lunch
2,602 Posts
lovemyTT said:
just so ya know 1080p is not worth it right now... almost all signals are 720 right now and when your tvs input is 1080 theres more lines of resolution to fill wil only 720 available.. not the best quality
Not true, just because there are no sources in 1080p, the 1080p sets look superior with a 720p or 1080i signal because of their higher pixel count, that goes for flat panels and light engine TV's as well.

Check out the KDSR60XBR2 as an excellent PJTV, if you want a flat panel Pioneer Elite plasma is the only way to go if you have the $$.

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
AZmkiii said:
DLP, LG or Samsung.
Right on! My friend Mike's gotta nice plasma from LG so I can vouch for the quality there! As for Samsung, I picked up a sweet 46" last year when our display model came down for sale and I must say it is a helluva picture! :bigthumb:
astrocreep96 said:
Used to be that LCD was really the only TV technology capable of displaying in 1080p, but that is no longer the case. Sony's new SXRD (a superior alternative to Texas Instrument's DLP) line has 1080p resolution with a 10,000:1 contrast (advertised, probably much less). Most (if not all) plasma TVs only display in 1080i right now, so the SXRD (JVC has a similar line) not only has a contrat ratio equivalent to plasma , but has superior resolution and comes in sizes up to 70".
While I've been skeptical when it comes to contrast ratios as high as 10000:1 myself, I believe the TV actually does have to perform to that level if they are going to advertise it that way or its called false advertising!!! Again, I could be wrong on this, but when something doesn't do what it says it can do, people tend to get pissy and sue-happy at the same time...! :rofl:
Malloy said:
Man, I was SO set on that 1080p Samsung DLP, till I saw it in the store. At any angle but dead on it looked 'grey' as someone already said. I L shaped seating arrangement, so it will suck for those not directly facing the TV. Was this TV a dud, or is this typical?

That new Sony looked great...but of all the displays I saw at Circuit City the LG LCD seemed to look the best. I have 14' x 25' of windows (loft)...so my place is bright...
Yes, this is the only real drawback for DLPs- the viewing angle. Now I don't want to hear anything about that 'rainbow' effect people gripe about from DLPs either. Like anything in life, if you're willing to put the money into it, you're gonna get a quality product! This is why some of us drive Civics, and some of us drive Supras! :tongue:
Anyway, because of the way the DLP projection lenses are set up, it does require you to view the TV while seated to get the best possible experience. Oh wait, that's right- I usually sit down to watch TV! Ok, problem solved!

·
165.5hp/427lbs
316 Posts
Malloy said:

That is typical with any rear projector. LCD flat panels dont have that same problem with viewing angle. Plasmas dont tend to either.

If you have a bright room, plasmas should be avoided. The glass panes reflect alot of light and you will see the window being you when watching tv. They have a very bright display at night though. LCDPs and LCD flat panels have a anti-reflective panes to reduce reflection.

LCD flat panels dont look great when not in their native resolution. So most are capable of 720p and 1080i, but watching standard sattellite or DVD in 480i/p looks sub par to that of DLPs plasma and LCD rear projections.

Plasma looks great with anything on them IMO. Bright screen, vivid colors, high contrast ratio, quick respsonse times, but most expensive.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just picked up a Samsung 42" DLP from Sears for $1175. XBOX 360 looks great, so do DVDs thru the HDMI cable, but my DirecTV SD box does show some bleeding, and the blacks sometimes look grey. I've only had it a week so I may need to adjust my settings a bit. It's just a matter of time before I upgrade the satellite receiver though.

IMO the DLP's do provide a good deal of performance for the right price. Since size constraints aren't an issue in the family room I opted for projection, but when I outfit the bedroom I will be going LCD or Plasma.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
I also suggest a CRT. It's cheap, GREAT picture/color/contrast quality, just a lil' heavy and bulky compared to LCD/DLP/Plasma.

That's my plan, soon as I get my house finished i'm grabbing a sweet CRT Hi-Def. Lets the technology smooth out a little

·
Registered
18 Posts
ChizWizz47 said:
While I've been skeptical when it comes to contrast ratios as high as 10000:1 myself, I believe the TV actually does have to perform to that level if they are going to advertise it that way or its called false advertising!!! Again, I could be wrong on this, but when something doesn't do what it says it can do, people tend to get pissy and sue-happy at the same time...! :rofl:
That's true, but they don't specify how they tested that contrast ratio, under what conditions, what colors they were using (probably only black and white), etc. The exact conditions that they tested at to arrive at that ratio are probably not entirely realistic and won't be seen at home.

Maybe not though. I'm not too sure, but 10,000:1 seems like a huge ratio for any set, plasma, lcd, or otherwise.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Well since MK3Brent bumped a 13-year-old thread (the same day he flamed someone else for bumping an equally old thread, ironically), I'm just gonna put this here: OLED. Full stop.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts