Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed the Garage Advance fuel system and the fuel filters that come with the kit are leaking.
I double checked and re-tightened the fuel lines to the filters. I can see that the gas is NOT leaking from where the lines connect to the filters. It appears that the filters themselfs are leaking.
Has anyone else experienced this with EARLS filters?
Should I try taking the filter apart and retightening everything?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!\
Thanks,

Shane

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It's the brass crush washers. I ended up with different filters after questioning the potential flow of those filters. All I could find was refrences to those filters being used on Carb apps and nothing to support the idea of using them for High PSI EFI apps. I had been warned by someone who had used their system that the filters were a restriction. My car was falling on it's face soo....

Long story short - new filters made NO DIFFERENCE. In the end I found that my fuel pressure sender wasn't reading right and that my DLI's ground had been left off by the installer but the power light still glowed.:rolleyes:

Try pulling them apart and smearing some liquid Teflon on either side of the washers, letting it sit a bit, and then screwing them back together. Worse comes to worse Summit had a good Russel filter that was pretty cheap and uses a screen that I ended up using. They had O-rings as I recall..

Those filters can be made to work though, I found out from a local shop that does EFI work that they use them all the time with no problems.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
BLKMGK said:
Try pulling them apart and smearing some liquid Teflon on either side of the washers, letting it sit a bit, and then screwing them back together. Worse comes to worse Summit had a good Russel filter that was pretty cheap and uses a screen that I ended up using. They had O-rings as I recall..
Teflon isn't a sealant, its a lubricant used to help pipe-thread seal (pipe threads seal using the threads themselves).

I've only used copper or aluminum crush washers and I've never had them leak on me. From what I understand they should make a very reliable seal.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BlkMgk, I have gone ahead and ordered 2 of the Russell filters from Summit. (PN#RUS-650130). There is no question that the Russell filter is made for fuel injected applications. The only info I can find about the Earls filters on the other hand, have to do with carb (low-pressure) apps. When it comes to fuel I would rather not take a chance...
Thanks again!

Shane

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had problems on mine too. They leaked badly after the install. I took them appart, then assembled them back and tightened them good.

I have the fuel system for over a year and still no leak.

Moral of the story. tighten them real good on the fuel lines.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yea, the filters were not leaking from where the hoses connect, they were leaking from the actual housing of the filters...where the two ends screwed on. I took them apart, put liquid teflon on the top of the treads (by the aluminum washer) and then tightened them back down w/an impact...so they were tight as shit.
As a test to ensure the filters would hold up to high pressure, I cranked the fuel pressure up to 70PSI w/the ignition on and the engine off. Sure enough one of the filters started leaking again...

I would be curious to see if your filters would leak performing a similar test. My guess is that you guys check the filters at a lower pressure (30-40psi)?

I have not found anything anywere that says that these "Earls" fuel filters are for fuel injected applications. If you can point me somewhere that says that the Earls filters do support high-psi fuel pressures, please point me to it..

There is no question however about the Russell filters supporting high horsepower, high psi, fuel injected applications. You can find information all over the place supporting this.

I am not going to skimp on something as cheep as a fuel filters after spending so much money on my car. It is just not worth it!

Anyway thats just my $.02

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
i tried to replace the filters in my earls. even with a vice i couldn't get the side that has to spin off to remove the filter, to budge. I gave up and just bought two new filters since they are so cheap anyways. I have turned my fuel system up to 80 psi without any leaks anyway and i still run two -6 earls.

Thanks,
Sid

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I'm running 2 Earl's filters with my fuel system. After installing my fuel system that was one of the first placing that was leaking. I re-tightened them and haven't had any issues to date.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It just sounds to me like too many people have had problems with the Earls filters (not to mention they do not offically support high-psi fuel injected apps.)
Im glad that some of you have had a good experience with the Earls filters. I am not doubting some of them could work, but to me it just seems too risky to go with anything other than a filter that offically supports our application....especially after so many people have had problems with them.

BTW, have you guys (the ones who have had better luck with the Earls filters) pressurized you fuel systems to 60-70psi and held it there while
sitting in the driveway (so wind doesn't blow any possible leakage away?)
Just curious..

Shane

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
ShaneW said:
It just sounds to me like too many people have had problems with the Earls filters (not to mention they do not offically support high-psi fuel injected apps.)
Im glad that some of you have had a good experience with the Earls filters. I am not doubting some of them could work, but to me it just seems too risky to go with anything other than a filter that offically supports our application....especially after so many people have had problems with them.

BTW, have you guys (the ones who have had better luck with the Earls filters) pressurized you fuel systems to 60-70psi and held it there while
sitting in the driveway (so wind doesn't blow any possible leakage away?)
Just curious..

Shane
I pressurized tested mine to 85psi. No signs of leaks what so ever.*shrug*

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Pressure test to 80 psi after the leak fix to confirm that they won't leak. So far so good.

Btw: I lost 2 gallons of fuel trying to fix the leak. :p

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
i've had 4 earls fuel filters and none leaked. just sounds like u got a dud. i've put total of 8 of them on 3 different ga kits without leaks either. my aeroquip dealer recommends them.

sid

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sidwin said:
i've had 4 earls fuel filters and none leaked. just sounds like u got a dud. i've put total of 8 of them on 3 different ga kits without leaks either. my aeroquip dealer recommends them.

sid
coo. I got my Russell filters installed...holding strong at 95psi!
Merry Christmas everyone!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I just finished my fuel system install and sure enough, mine are leaking. :( I'm onna see if I can take them apart and tighten them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, good luck with tightening them......I had luck with 1 of them, but the other one was still leaking and by that point I had lost confidence in the Earls filters (not to mention they do not even "officially" support our application (fuel injection.)

I got the Russell filters and there is no-where for them to leak, no tightening required, and they even "officially" support fuel injected apps!
Anyway, if you decide to go with the Russel filters, here is the PN
RUS-650130 (from summitracing.com).
Good luck!

Shane

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead. I installed my fuel system, pressurized the line only to ~45psi and see that the earls filter is leaking. Are people still having this issue with these filters? I'd like to hear what people who used or are using them think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts