Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished my swap and have been trying to find out whats wrong with it for the past few days. its a stock motor with a 3" y/downpipe and 440's, it drives fine when i stay out of the peddle but as soon as i get into boost at wot (around 3000-4000 rpm's) i get a bad lean surge and no power, i don't have a boost gauge in the car yet so idk if I'm really getting into boost at all. my fuel pressure is at 43-45lbs (at idle) and plugs are gaped at .030. please help if you can

Thanks
Sideways

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no its a walrbo 255

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any one?

· RoastBeefCurtain Commando
8,910 Posts
how can you think you have a lean surge but dont even know if you are making boost?
Have you ever had a turbo car before? if so, it should be extremely apparent when you build boost

what do you consider a "lean surge"? is it just breaking up? If so check the coil packs. They were a total menace for me with some tiny hairline cracks under the boots

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how can you think you have a lean surge but dont even know if you are making boost?
Have you ever had a turbo car before? if so, it should be extremely apparent when you build boost

what do you consider a "lean surge"? is it just breaking up? If so check the coil packs. They were a total menace for me with some tiny hairline cracks under the boots
yea i have owned a turbo car before...this isnt my first go around so dont bash out the gate... i dont have a boost gauge in the car yet so im not totaly sure how much boost im getting and i do have a wide band gauge in the car and it pins lean the min i wot and yes it breaks up at about 3000-4000, almost like loss of fuel pressure, i was just simpaly asking if anyone else has had this problem so calm it down their turbo

8,910 Posts
re read your first post and you will see why I asked this info.
You didnt provide alot to go with and didnt seem to sure that you really understood much about turbos

what wideband are you using out of curiousity?
What do your plugs look like?
If you pinned lean on any wideband in boost that i know of, you wouldnt be here posting. You would be rebuilding your motor for sure.

More in depth info is needed sir.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what wideband are you using out of curiousity? its a AEM
What do your plugs look like? plugs are burned white like they would look if they ran lean
If you pinned lean on any wideband in boost that i know of, you wouldnt be here posting. You would be rebuilding your motor for sure. and its a aem it only reads to 17...and im not a dipshit i let out of it when i hits lean and backfires lol

8,910 Posts
no detonation spots on the plugs? No knock sounds?

A properly burning plug, esp if a newer plug will look as you stated.( i know it defies what we all read on the internet, but trust me on this one)
Humor me and check for cracks on your coilpacks anyway. take the boots off and check. i have seen a wideband do this when ignition breakup happens.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, I will check the coils but that info did not come off the internet...I don’t believe most of what I read on the internet, that came out of an HPpower book called turbo charging a street car and another book called maximum boost...now it would be a far shot to say you know more than the people that wrote those books cause that have been doing longer then you and me have been alive... but I will check that out and let you know

8,910 Posts
What you consider to be white and lean might be different then they (professionals) might.
I will agree with what they say, but there are other variables thye dont mention.

Newer plugs dont really burn in and turn that mocha color for a while even when properly tuned. I know this because I check my plugs ALL the time and they almost never turn that mocha color even after thousands of miles. They still show a little white (and trust me I am not lean). Even on rich tunes to be honest
To properly read a plug you really should get a clean plug and then do a pull and shut it off immediatly once you let off the gas and coast to a stop and pull the plugs.
I can also show you plugs that look like they might be detonated on and run lean on, but can show datalogs that they arent.

Im just saying, dont go by the color of your plug all that much. its not the end all.

I would try and get on a dyno and another wideband for giggles and check for your fuel pressure to see if its dropping much under load.
Stock fuel pump?

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, no its a walbro 255, I am going to run around after work today and buy a electric fuel pressure gauge and do a pull and see if it drops fuel pressure

8,910 Posts
id have a hard time believing it is,. but worth a shot.
maybe the FPR is taking a poop? Id think you would get rich conditions though from a diaphram flutter though.

sucks there are no like datalog options for supras. Could make life much easier

fresh swap though right? never ran right yet?
Maybe a wiring issue?

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a branded fpr and i have gone through the wiring quite a few times idk wheat it could possibly be, and i have a stinger i could data log with but would rather get my car running on stock ecu so i can fly through emissions

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so under load it drops the fuel pressure to 20 lbs and its at 40-45 at idel

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is my regulator i got it brand new from jegs

the fuel pump sounds a little odd its really loud and everyone says they have never herd one that loud, for my bday my gf ordered me a new one last night from driftmotion i am going to swap them and see if it changes anything

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
by the way the old one was a e-gay special that seamed good to buy looks the same and is stamped warlbo 255. but of course some one on my local forums after i ordered it told me they herd of a scam of blown fuel pumps being sold so idk

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup im almost sure i got jipped o well

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.