Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried dyeing tan leather seats to black? I like the look of the black interior but don't want to pay a high price for it. LMK if you guys have heard of it being done or done this. Thanks

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I know they dye dashes in the old cars... hit up vette65396 he use to work for a company that did frame off restro on cars. Im sure he can give you some info.

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Only bad experince!!! :eek:
My tan back seats turned purple when i tryed to dye them black :dunno:
So now I have no backseats ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
At a recent Supra meet, some guy came in with his rear seats actually painted black. Sounds weird right? But they felt and looked like black leather seats. He said he got the stuff he used from his gf from a furniture place that they do not distribute to the public. Hope that helps.

J

·
0 Posts
What you can do is buy some adhesive promoter, spray it on the seats, wait for it to completely dry, then paint it black. Use a spray gun haha, dont use a brush. An Airbrush will work fine but its would take a hell of a long time to finish. At the shop we used normal sized spray guns for painting, it works just fine.

EDIT
i forgot if it was adhesive promoter or paint promoter...sorry

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
check out www.leatherique.com they also make leather dyes. I don't have experience with the dyes though. The rejuvenator oil does work though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the Chicago area, and have had my seats dyed. I used a company by the name of Dahl leather. My dealer uses him for leather repairs on used cars. I had my tan leather seats redyed, look like new. I had several people ask me if they were new. My brother had his tan leather sets in his lx470 redyed look great.
My ? is what about the plastic trim around the seat. I'd stick with the same color, or just get new leather.
Later Ed

T

·
0 Posts
i can have the front and rear seats redone in full leather for $700 or in gucci or louis vuitton for $800 plus shipping if there is any. let me know if any of you guys are interested.

o ye i can do them in vinyl for a lot cheaper.

-thanx

·
SupraCop
407 Posts
I used the Leatherique bc I couldnt afford to redo the seats. It cost me about 250.00 for everything and took about 5 hours over 4 days.
you strip the color off the leather and sand it down.
then you condition and fill it the cracks(makes it better but not perfect like spacel) then apply dye with a paint brush. takes a few coats.
looks and feels great but not a true dye a scratch will show the tan underneth.
I would post but I dont know how to put on pictures.
hope I was help.
matt

L

·
0 Posts
At a recent Supra meet, some guy came in with his rear seats actually painted blac
That would be me. I forgot what the stuff was called but i got it from a distributor that only sells to furniture companies. The dye is used for actual leather sofas and chairs. The good thing is the dye worked great, 3 easy steps. 1)wash with soap and water (make sure to get all the soap off. 2)Spray some leather promoter ($10) 3) paint till its black with a special brush ($2) I used 4 coats over 3 days. You could actually do it all in one day. It only takes about 20 min. for each coat to dry. I just had no time so it took me 3 days. 1 bottle ($40) did both of my back seats with paint to spare. The bad thing is, they dont sell to general public and they dont ship. Its also a couple of cities over (about 40 min) so i cant just shoot over and pick some up. I will post some pics once I get home. It looks and feels great. Its been on for about 2 months now and still looks good. The back seats dont get much action, so back seats are no problem. It might be different for the front?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LBRspyder, if you find out what the stuff is called or who makes it that would be great.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LBRspyder, what did you do about the plastic trim that's on the seat? Was that painted too?

L

·
0 Posts
lakas LBRspyder, what did you do about the plastic trim that's on the seat? Was that painted too?
\

Yea I painted that also but dont know if thats going to stay on to long. I should of taped around the leather and painted with spray. Looks like it didnt stick to good. Im waiting to see if it comes off. I will post pics and brand tomorow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Honestly, I have only had bad experiences with dyed items. From clothing to even things such as seats. IMO I would just stick with the tan interior.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts