Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about doing the LED lights on the HVAC controls.

1. Is 2000 mcd about the right luminosity? I don't need it to be blinding... but bright enough to see the indicators during the day. Or would something like 2000 mcd for the indicators and 1000-1500 mcd for the illumination be a better target?
2. Most instructions say to use 3mm, but I'm finding it difficult to find the right ones at 2000 mcd. In fact, superbright LED doesn't carry much in that size anymore. But, there's plenty of options for 5mm. Would it be ok to use that size?

If anyone has a place in mind to order 3mm LEDs at the right luminosity, I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have to resort to that. I don't want my hvac controls to light up the cabin.

I did find "hobby" ones on amazon rated 800 mcd to 1000 mcd. There are also vendors out there that have the 1500-2000 mcd diodes, but 3mm is really lacking. 5mm opens up a lot. I guess as long as it physically fits? Should I be concerned about amperage?

·
Registered
580 Posts
LED brightness is specified at a particular test current, typically 10mA. Also, the beamwidth enters into the mcd rating. You can get LEDs with different spot sizes/beamwidths (different lenses). The same LED with different lenses will have different brightness ratings.

Absolutely, you can adjust the brightness down by reducing the current. Larger resistors will do just that. Bare LEDs require a current-limiting resistor. Mouser and DigiKey sell resistor assortments so you can try different values until you find the brightness you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts