Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not looking to add another MKIV to the garage, but if this is legit it might be helpful to someone else:

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=196325320&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=3&leadExists=true&criteria=K-|E-|M-_47_|D-_437_|N-N|R-100|I-1|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-20152&aff=national

Could be a scam, but the chick selling it did post a phone number at least. Of course Google shows the number as being listed under the MD State Highway Administration.

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alex D: I don't need another MKIV on my hands, too damn busy with getting the one I have back up and running :) The ad looked semi-legit, and obviously there are some owners out there who really don't know what they have or how much it is worth. That being said, the Volk wheels and medium mileage would seem to be suspicious in combo with the price. Just thought someone on here might benefit if the ad turned out to be legit. Thanks.

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BreakNeck: Thanks for the phone work. Makes you wonder what scam someone is running or how they are going to sell a car if they don't answer their phone or have voicemail. Maybe some will get an answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems like a scam to me...42k miles? That clean?

Also, not that it means much, but I zoomed in on the odometer and it read 37k or 31k (hard to tell zoomed in that far)

But if that's a legit car, and if someone gets ahold of him/her, definately buy it.

EDIT: I emailed the seller, and am curious to see their response.

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2wdsux: So there is an email address listed? On my Treo the "email seller" link is not active, so the only contact info I saw was the phone number. Makes more sense as a scam with a phony number and an email address then. Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I sent an email saying I want to look at it asap but im sure I wont get a reply. If you just punch in the info on kbb the value is $24,000.....surely the owner of the car would do that before posting it. Also its slightly modified so they aren't totally in the dark when it comes to mkiv's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
fuindustries said:
2wdsux: So there is an email address listed? On my Treo the "email seller" link is not active, so the only contact info I saw was the phone number. Makes more sense as a scam with a phony number and an email address then. Thanks.

I used the 'email the seller' info box/link to the left of the screen (I believe that is what you are referring to) to send some info. Since BreakNeck called and seems to have found that the phone number may be phony, I am interested in seeing if they respond to me VIA email. Most of the scams that I have personally seen have the vehicle listed in New York or a large city such as that.

Also, I am wary about this quote directly from the vehicle description
"I described the car to the best of my knowledge and what I observed. "

What's that supposed to mean anyway? Regardless, I will post up any email contact that I have with the seller.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rose Anderson
<[email protected]> to me
More options 3:03 pm (0 minutes ago)
Hello,
Thank you for contacting me about my car.
The price is $12900 with all the shipping taxes included in the price.
The car is always garage kept and rarely used,cars is in showroom condition. The title is clear ,it is not a salvage one. I have legal document by which I can transfer the title to your name. The car is still US registered so you will not have to pay any custom taxes. The car is now located at the Cars.com warehouse in El Segundo, CA.The car will be shipped and insured by Cars.com and.Cars.com will act as a 3rd party for our transaction.You will not have to pay additional taxes for this.To be able to receive or pick up the car you'll have to make a deposit(2900 usd).I will support all the shipping fees.I am from US and the car is registered in US on my name and address, but now I am currently on United Kingdom ,London because I have some business and right now I suffer some problems.The delivery will take within 3 to 5 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy).The service has frequent shared container services or truck services.
It will be insured at the delivery service.If something happens on the road , you will receive the insurance from the delivery service.As soon as the car arrives, you will test and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 15 days since the arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance and the site will full refund you the deposit.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO EMAIL ME YOUR COMPLETE NAME AND ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING AND AFTER THAT THE SITE WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND DEPOSIT!
If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.I have reserved the item for you until we will have your final answer.
Thank you

the reply i just got back ....

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cbrsorlo: Thanks for the reply. Scam it is then, sorry for wasting people's time, seemed to be somewhat more legit than the usual ones. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,
Thank you for contacting me about my car.
The price is $12900 with all the shipping taxes included in the price.
The car is always garage kept and rarely used,cars is in showroom condition. The title is clear ,it is not a salvage one. I have legal document by which I can transfer the title to your name. The car is still US registered so you will not have to pay any custom taxes. The car is now located at the Cars.com warehouse in El Segundo, CA.The car will be shipped and insured by Cars.com and.Cars.com will act as a 3rd party for our transaction.You will not have to pay additional taxes for this.To be able to receive or pick up the car you'll have to make a deposit(2900 usd).I will support all the shipping fees.I am from US and the car is registered in US on my name and address, but now I am currently on United Kingdom ,London because I have some business and right now I suffer some problems.The delivery will take within 3 to 5 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy).The service has frequent shared container services or truck services.
It will be insured at the delivery service.If something happens on the road , you will receive the insurance from the delivery service.As soon as the car arrives, you will test and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 15 days since the arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance and the site will full refund you the deposit.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO EMAIL ME YOUR COMPLETE NAME AND ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING AND AFTER THAT THE SITE WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND DEPOSIT!
If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.I have reserved the item for you until we will have your final answer.
Thank you

^^^that was my reply as well. Contact cars.com? Bet I will.

·
Registered
30 Posts
fuindustries said:
cbrsorlo: Thanks for the reply. Scam it is then, sorry for wasting people's time, seemed to be somewhat more legit than the usual ones. Thanks.

i guess they figured that the price of 5900 - 7500 was too low and it was a known scam. Maybe jacking the price to 12000 would sounds better.

·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cbrsorlo: You are correct sir, that and the ad appearing to have only a contact phone number roped me in. So score a half point for the scammers. More vigilance next time for me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
:wtflol: "The car is now located at the Cars.com warehouse in El Segundo, CA."

WTF? Cars.com warehouse!!! That must be right next to the Autotrader.com warehouse and Ebaymotors.com warehouse!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
95TT4JJ said:
:wtflol: "The car is now located at the Cars.com warehouse in El Segundo, CA."

WTF? Cars.com warehouse!!! That must be right next to the Autotrader.com warehouse and Ebaymotors.com warehouse!!!

Lol. I noticed that there seem to be 3 times as many scams on cars.com than Autotrader.com. Maybe they should get on the ball with that bullcrap, before someone else makes the mistake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Email response from Cars.com:

Greetings,

Thank you for your report concerning a possible fraudulent or misleading listing on cars.com. We take this issue very seriously and have removed the fraudulent ad from our website. We do not advise that you continue communication with this seller.

Thank you for choosing cars.com. Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Allamai Engineer-Manriquez
cars.com Consumer Support

1 - 20 of 30 Posts