Supra Forums banner

201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
JetFire
5,277 Posts
This engine has been out since 2015. Do you think there would be a race to 1,000hp if it wasn't put into the new "SUPRA" ? I highly doubt it.

B
Of course it's because of the name, the vehicles it came in before I doubt anyone wanted to push them beyond stock muchless 1K. What were they the X5 and 340i etc...majority that owned those were happy with them stock plus what shop would have invested in the engine if they sat in a non sports car chassis.

·
JetFire
5,277 Posts
Tons of work to get real power out of this thing. Only thing that hasn't been modified from BMW so far is the crank, cams, block, and oil and water pumps.
Well to play devil's advocate he jumped into building it right away for 1K plus versus others who will try to push the stock setup to the limits then build it. No idea what the limits will be I saw 7XX was done before on a B58 but that was before this car came out. Regardless of what it is I like to see limits being found and pushed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well to play devil's advocate he jumped into building it right away for 1K plus versus others who will try to push the stock setup to the limits then build it. No idea what the limits will be I saw 7XX was done before on a B58 but that was before this car came out. Regardless of what it is I like to see limits being found and pushed.
7XX was claimed, not seen. I asked them what kind of setup they were running and what kind of dyno they made that power on and they have been putting out nothing but crickets since

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
Not sure that was the point. Any experienced engine builder, working with a modern engine, and high quality aftermarket parts, can make 1,000 hp even if it takes a while. As such, I'm not sure I understand the point of this video, other than it being a motor for Steph's race car. I could be wrong, but I think the real point is such a build is well beyond the means of the buyers of this car if they have a shop build it and maybe even if they have the skills and resources to do it themselves. I mean, new intake and exhaust manifolds, plus the installation of an air-to-air FMIC, Carillo rods, CP pistons and head work plus labor.....who, besides shops, is going to go through this expense for a brand new car.

I have a built motor in Blackie and a built motor in Eau Rouge, using Carillo, CP and HKS/Cosworth hard parts. [email protected] Flow did the head work on Blackie back in 1998, IIRC. This work was done on the 2JZ-GTE, a motor infinitely easier to modify than the B58. Having said that, the work on my motors was NOT cheap and I guarantee it will be more expensive building the B58 to the level contemplated by Steph's vid.

The use of an engine dyno, rather than a chassis dyno, makes me wonder if the engine dyno is being used because of doubts about the tranny to handle that level of power reliably. Maybe we will find out during phase 2.

Ken.

·
-Question Conjecture-
3,026 Posts
Not sure that was the point. Any experienced engine builder, working with a modern engine, and high quality aftermarket parts, can make 1,000 hp even if it takes a while. As such, I'm not sure I understand the point of this video, other than it being a motor for Steph's race car. I could be wrong, but I think the real point is such a build is well beyond the means of the buyers of this car if they have a shop build it and maybe even if they have the skills and resources to do it themselves. I mean, new intake and exhaust manifolds, plus the installation of an air-to-air FMIC, Carillo rods, CP pistons and head work plus labor.....who, besides shops, is going to go through this expense for a brand new car.

I have a built motor in Blackie and a built motor in Eau Rouge, using Carillo, CP and HKS/Cosworth hard parts. [email protected] Flow did the head work on Blackie back in 1998, IIRC. This work was done on the 2JZ-GTE, a motor infinitely easier to modify than the B58. Having said that, the work on my motors was NOT cheap and I guarantee it will be more expensive building the B58 to the level contemplated by Steph's vid.

The use of an engine dyno, rather than a chassis dyno, makes me wonder if the engine dyno is being used because of doubts about the tranny to handle that level of power reliably. Maybe we will find out during phase 2.

Ken.

Solid.

I'll bet 10k the trans won't hold anywhere close.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
1000whp will come soon enough. Completely build just about any 3l engine and it will make that. Papadakis said they bored out the tiny little exhaust ports, thats the #1 thing I see holding it back(how much material can they remove).

But how much after that? 1000whp isnt exactly a big number anymore, especially for a fully built engine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
1000whp will come soon enough. Completely build just about any 3l engine and it will make that. Papadakis said they bored out the tiny little exhaust ports, thats the #1 thing I see holding it back(how much material can they remove).

But how much after that? 1000whp isnt exactly a big number anymore, especially for a fully built engine.
Won't happen.

Anybody want to place some wagers? I'm very down for the action on the B58 never making 1000whp on a heartbreaker dyno.

We can even parlay it with how many of them will be recalled. Watch the entire production run of them be affected. Such poetic justice from the Supra Gods.

·
iSPOOL
976 Posts
Even if they do hit 1000rwhp I don't think it will hold long or be "reliable." You have to have the right recipe of parts, tuning, and maintenance to keep any engine reliable at the 1000rwhp mark. Just because Papadakis thinks the crankshaft can support that level, doesn't mean the the supporting areas in & around the engine will.

I'm also still waiting on videos or information on that 711rwhp B58 BMW that no one has produced evidence for.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm also still waiting on videos or information on that 711rwhp B58 BMW that no one has produced evidence for.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you can find the videos on Jaun from Big Boosts Instagram if you're able to load it from a smartphone. Last year he was at 700WHP in the M240i on E50 at 24psi. That's their stage 3 turbo (6764?) Straight pipe and JB4 tuned. I think they had engine issues after that because he upgraded rods and pistons and to a 3.4. Now over 800whp apparently....check their post and video from August 27th.

Attachments

·
iSPOOL
976 Posts
I don't have instagram, could you post the video? I've seen the dyno graph but thats all. Check Even asked them when they joined to post details but no reply.
So he had engine damage at that 700hp level?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't have instagram, could you post the video? I've seen the dyno graph but thats all. Check Even asked them when they joined to post details but no reply.
So he had engine damage at that 700hp level?
[/QUOTE
No idea what really happened to the engine to make them upgrade from stock. Hopefully these links work. I'm not very Instagram savvy myself either but pictures will usually show even if you don't have an account or follow anyone.

http://instagr.am/p/B1FnMSlJkcA/
http://instagr.am/p/B1p0uqWpwd6/

·
iSPOOL
976 Posts
No idea what really happened to the engine to make them upgrade from stock. Hopefully these links work. I'm not very Instagram savvy myself either but pictures will usually show even if you don't have an account or follow anyone.

http://instagr.am/p/B1FnMSlJkcA/
http://instagr.am/p/B1p0uqWpwd6/
Good on them for hitting that mark. This is the B58 head with the six exhaust ports right?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Good on them for hitting that mark. This is the B58 head with the six exhaust ports right?
Yes, 6 individual exhaust ports and twin scrollish log manifold. Completely different from the small 2 port non rotary head Toyota uses. This is OEM vs aftermarket which gets used on builds with larger than stock frame turbos

Attachments

·
iSPOOL
976 Posts
So that papadakis shop just posted a video. Got rid of all that crap BMW plastic in order to try to get 1000hp.

·
Registered
65 Posts

He kept the plastic valve cover. Completely deleted the air-water intercooler/intake manifold. Also said they won't be using the direct injection at all. I had no idea the engine had essentially a third cam shaft. Plus it looks like a pain in the ass to assemble. Damn over-complicated German shit. I'm still rooting for them to make 1000hp, I think the overall block design is sound. I haven't watched his flow-testing vid yet, but I noticed they kept the MkV's 2-port head instead of swapping a BMW 6-port exhaust head.

201 - 220 of 237 Posts