Supra Forums banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
iSPOOL
944 Posts
Try is the key word here. That's all it will be.
Yup. I was careful with my choice of words 😆. Does he think it will just drop in with no issues? I have to say I didnt bother with watching it all to see if he had a plan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
7XX was claimed, not seen. I asked them what kind of setup they were running and what kind of dyno they made that power on and they have been putting out nothing but crickets since
This engine has been out since 2015. Do you think there would be a race to 1,000hp if it wasn't put into the new "SUPRA" ? I highly doubt it.

B
This is hardly a surprise given how unreliable newer BMWs are and the fact everyone leases them.
It would take a real nut to void their precious BMW warranty by attempting anything more than bolt-ons.

It's gonna take a couple more years before we start seeing these motors with internal mods or larger frame turbos rolling around.

Whether or not the stock motor can handle 700+ is irrelevant. 1 in 100 B58 owners are going to attempt it, again because IT'S A BMW

·
Registered
732 Posts
Whether or not the stock motor can handle 700+ is irrelevant. 1 in 100 B58 owners are going to attempt it, again because IT'S A BMW
It's going to be way fewer than 1 in 100 cars. It has nothing to do with it being a BMW. Most buyers of new cars, simply don't modify their cars (other than simple or cosmetic mods). Most are happy with the car as it performs in stock form. Warranty concerns will deter a lot of people from making modifications that might invalidate coverage. We are talking about the average new car buyer here and the fact is; Supra Forums members are not very representative of the general car buying public. Most buyers are happy just to have a fancy, shiny new car in the driveway and are unlikely to even come close to exploring its stock capabilities. Just for comparison: I doubt there are many original owners of the MKIV who made significant engine, turbine or suspension upgrades during the warranty period. Even now there are many MKIV's out there that are either stock or have only basic (BPU) modifications and thats after 20-25 years and in a lot of cases multiple owners. There are lots of reasons why very few people will modify the Supra's B58 to put out 700+ HP (warranty, cost of mods, reliability, happy with current power, downtime, drivability, etc.), it being a BMW is likely well down that list. Even if it were manufactured by Toyota, they'd still be unlikely to modify it, for all of the reasons listed above. What percentage of Mustang's, Porsche's, Vette's, etc. that are still under warranty do you think have undergone major engine, turbine or suspension modifications?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's going to be way fewer than 1 in 100 cars. It has nothing to do with it being a BMW. Most buyers of new cars, simply don't modify their cars (other than simple or cosmetic mods). Most are happy with the car as it performs in stock form. Warranty concerns will deter a lot of people from making modifications that might invalidate coverage. We are talking about the average new car buyer here and the fact is; Supra Forums members are not very representative of the general car buying public. Most buyers are happy just to have a fancy, shiny new car in the driveway and are unlikely to even come close to exploring its stock capabilities. Just for comparison: I doubt there are many original owners of the MKIV who made significant engine, turbine or suspension upgrades during the warranty period. Even now there are many MKIV's out there that are either stock or have only basic (BPU) modifications and thats after 20-25 years and in a lot of cases multiple owners. There are lots of reasons why very few people will modify the Supra's B58 to put out 700+ HP (warranty, cost of mods, reliability, happy with current power, downtime, drivability, etc.), it being a BMW is likely well down that list. Even if it were manufactured by Toyota, they'd still be unlikely to modify it, for all of the reasons listed above. What percentage of Mustang's, Porsche's, Vette's, etc. that are still under warranty do you think have undergone major engine, turbine or suspension modifications?
I agree with most of your points. However I do think it being a BMW does mean it's less likely it will be modified.
In my experience, here in TX (arguably regarded as the HP capital of the US) I see many new highly modified cars at every weekly late night meet. A large percentage are new domestics. A smaller percentage are newer imports, and all the way at the bottom of the list there's a few BMWs. Mind you (nearly)all the BMWs i've seen at these "high horsepower meets" have just bolt-ons with stock frame turbos. I think this is largely because of the reasons I stated above.

But again, this is just my anecdotal xp.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree with most of your points. However I do think it being a BMW does mean it's less likely it will be modified.
In my experience, here in TX (arguably regarded as the HP capital of the US) I see many new highly modified cars at every weekly late night meet. A large percentage are new domestics. A smaller percentage are newer imports, and all the way at the bottom of the list there's a few BMWs. Mind you (nearly)all the BMWs i've seen at these "high horsepower meets" have just bolt-ons with stock frame turbos. I think this is largely because of the reasons I stated above.

But again, this is just my anecdotal xp.
I lived in Houston for many years and bought my MKIV there in 1994 (Don McGill Toyota) , so I’m aware that there are lots of high hp cars there. Still, I stand by my contention that most are well beyond the warranty period before being modified and very few are 700 hp+.

·
supra7
498 Posts
It will have a better chance hitting it on a engine dyno that on a chassis dyno. I still feel firm that this is just another mustang 2 type car that dies quick and was just a oops by ford when u try to leave the beaten path for some BS

·
Hardtopper
2,472 Posts

·
iSPOOL
944 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another automotive vlogger with a Supra got his tuned.
Some decent information and insight can be found after you get through the annoying parts, especially if you're serious about getting the tune.

·
iSPOOL
944 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
221 - 237 of 237 Posts