Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
JetFire
5,228 Posts
^^^^ You're obviously a Skyline GT-R fan what brought you to Supraforums?

Serious question that I asked before and never got an answer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
^^^^ You're obviously a Skyline GT-R fan what brought you to Supraforums?

Serious question that I asked before and never got an answer.
I don't even think he has a Skyline, just two Lexus but I mean that's fine you don't have to own a particular car to be part of a particular forum.

PS: Images of my Supra are going up today she's going to look good, real good :) Probably in 5 hours. I'm going to head over there in 2 I'm kinda excited...

·
JetFire
5,228 Posts
I don't even think he has a Skyline, just two Lexus but I mean that's fine you don't have to own a particular car to be part of a particular forum.

PS: Images of my Supra are going up today she's going to look good, real good :) Probably in 5 hours. I'm going to head over there in 2 I'm kinda excited...
I'm on the R35 GTR forums because I'm a fan of that car and was considering getting one I mostly read to see what others have done I don't jump in and insult actual owners just because I have an opinion.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm on the R35 GTR forums because I'm a fan of that car and was considering getting one I mostly read to see what others have done I don't jump in and insult actual owners just because I have an opinion.
True True, but.. if you had an Infiniti you might :nono:

PS: just got back from the shop my Supra is looking real good we went nuts on it and added a bunch of coats of paint on it in the restoration process. It's even better then when it came off of the Toyota Lot in 94! images can be found in my sig I'll update it once it's finished next week. I can't wait to drive this thing into the Toyota Dealership and look at the new Supra and then happily drive off with my MKIV. I'll still more then likely own a MKV though, it'll just be in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What are the other fundamental issues?
Sorry for the late reply but those other issues i'm talking about is how much of a BMW it is at the core. However that's something i'm willing to look past but of course driving one for myself will be a large part of that.
At this point however i'm more than convinced and understand why Toyota did what they did from a sound business operational end, capital preservation is essential... better this Supra than no Supra.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reading all the vitriol about this car, one must assume that Toyota has not targeted the Mark IV owners for this car. I have not read a single sentence about a IV owner ever having been approached by Toyota for their opinion. Toyota has never mentioned you guys as a focus group. To sum it up, sorry guys, but Toyota doesn't care what you think. It sucks, because your cars share a badge and the car is now legendary because of the flame you kept lit. You can get on board and enjoy the new interpretation of a sports car, or you can sulk. Welcome to 2020.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,133 Posts
Lol Are you trying to insult my intelligence or you really dont know/understand what you wrote?
You are telling me that by saying “X car breaks (its parts) as well as the Y car” doesnt mean that you were comparing these 2, right? Why did you bring up X car if you were not trying to make some sort of comparison.
I do understand that you were talking about plastics, but i dont care if Lexus uses paper towels to tight a hoses, it works.It gets a job done. Car is reliable. No (plastic) parts gave up on any of the Lexus cars i had or the people i know. They were ranging from 40-120k miles and driven hard. Im not saying that you are lying, just thats its not something common that plastic parts are dying on Lexus like they do on BMW. And Just to clarify, im not judging just by my personal cars.
Sir I don't believe I need insult you or your intelligence. I believe you have inadvertantly already in this argument. Continuing this arugment is frivolous with you becuase I think you don't understand what I was trying to say.
Yes, Lexus is more reliable than BMW, I did not try to question this.
I mearly replied to $9ktt's post about BMW plastics failing by stating that Lexus is victim to the same problem and that my first-hand experience and most the people in Clubleuxs who had the same issue as my original issue corroborated my story.

Skyline GT-R said:
My whole point is that the models i had are in no way performance models and yet, they never showed a single issue while driven hard. They were/are often in the red line and the LSs probably spent more total time being driven at the speeds over 120mph then half of the Supras over 80mph. Not trying to show off by any means, just to present you the driving style that the cars were exposed to, cars that are not meant for that kind of driving, and still holding like new. If these cars can hold these type of torture after years and years and tens of thousands of miles, i take it as a mothefucking reliable. And no...no plastic parts (or any kind of parts) gave up.
Well, I guess I should be a little more direct. Your point makes no sense. Here's a simpler version.
Your statement = Apples vs Oranges (performance engine vs nonperformance engine)
My Statement = Apple 1 vs Apple 2 Both breakdown. (Performace vs Performace)
My Statement = Apple 1 vs Apple 2 Both use lots of plastic materials that break down

My statement does indicate one is more reliable than another. If you decide to re-read my original statement I said that the B58 will most likely be a throwaway engine in 5 years unless someone comes up with a way to refinish the Plasma wire welding to the block surface. I also said that toyota probably doesn't care because they are not trying to sell to the owner who buys a toyota for 30 years, but one that leases or owns for 2-5 years at which point they sell off the car to someone else when warrenty is finished and they are ready to sell a new car to that original buyer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re-lining bike engines with Nikasil has been done for years. Honing and replacing the plasma coating is still in its infancy, but Ford is already doing it.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,127 Posts
True True, but.. if you had an Infiniti you might :nono:

PS: just got back from the shop my Supra is looking real good we went nuts on it and added a bunch of coats of paint on it in the restoration process. It's even better then when it came off of the Toyota Lot in 94! images can be found in my sig I'll update it once it's finished next week. I can't wait to drive this thing into the Toyota Dealership and look at the new Supra and then happily drive off with my MKIV. I'll still more then likely own a MKV though, it'll just be in 2-3 years.
Which shop is your car at?

·
Very Senior Member
9,918 Posts
.......You can get on board and enjoy the new interpretation of a sports car, or you can sulk. Welcome to 2020.
Your opinion - this is NOT anywhere close to what an interpretation of a Supra should be. I am not sulking - quite the contrary, the MKIV is now elevated again.
IMHO, the 2020 BRZ4 will be fairly cheap after the warranty runs out - not that I care. My car will require less maintenance and repair than this "interpretation" over the next 5 years and will be worth twice what this thing is worth at that time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't get the whole 700hp thing. Sure its great that your car can handle 1000hp, but who cares. What's fun to me is going around turns and accelerating out of the apex. For that 300-400 hp is fine. If you are into drag racing and highway pulls then i understand the need for gobs of power. I'm still convinced our mkiv's were an anomaly and have made any future Supra doomed regardless lol
Good points. Unlike the MKIV Supra, the MKV is fast-enough, stock.

·
Boost Junkie
12,362 Posts
Good points. Unlike the MKIV Supra, the MKV is fast-enough, stock.
The only reason it's quicker is due to the 8 speed trans and the shift points. Let's wait and see what it runs in the 1/4 mile. It's still not "fast enough" if you ask most people when a base V8 Mustang or Camaro make more than 100HP in stock form than the MKV does.

That's pathetic.

Steve

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I agree, that power number is pretty lame. I did read that the car in stock form is topping out at 7 psi though. So a lot of room for BPU improvement. I just hope that they do release a, umm...I don't know what to call it, GR-D?, Gazoo Racing Development version/dealer upgrades that get the car to at least 450 under warranty. 335 is weak. God damn GT350 is rocking 530hp for the same damn price. It may be a better feeling chassis after all is said and done, but imagine buying a dealer option for the Supra that'll more than likely drive the price into the $60k+ range, and still getting annihilated by a base Mustang GT. :faint: The Z4 owners won't care, but the new Supra buyers most likely will.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Can you guys please leave that crap in the MKV section? Seems more suitable over there, plus it's just flat out getting old guys.

-Rich
Quoting the first part of Rich's post from the MKIV Section above for emphasis. Specifically, I am asking member darkloki to settle down, cease playing tit for tat and to learn to appreciate the concept of "added value"; that is to say do what you can to ensure your posts, to the best of your ability, add value to the discussion in which you are participating. So your thoughts on popular vehicles in the City of Irvine, various Teslas, the LC 500 and other vehicles in connection with the MKV are not particularly relevant. Try participating in a thread without posting. You might find it educational.

For those of you engaging in nonsensical back and forth with darkloki, I would ask you to cease and desist. Certainly, there is room for disagreement on topics that are near and dear to us. But, when the disagreements devolve into needless name calling, straying off topic and personal insults, it devalues the thread and you are likely to hear from moderators like me. Keep it cool, guys, and on point. I realize the MKV, for better or worst, has inflamed feelings here and that it's bled over into other sections. This is why I elected to post Kidney's post in this section and respond accordingly.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Ken, give us your insight sir. You personally asked them to produce this, what are your thoughts?
Profound disappointment.

Ken.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quoting the first part of Rich's post from the MKIV Section above for emphasis. Specifically, I am asking member darkloki to settle down, cease playing tit for tat and to learn to appreciate the concept of "added value"; that is to say do what you can to ensure your posts, to the best of your ability, add value to the discussion in which you are participating. So your thoughts on popular vehicles in the City of Irvine, various Teslas, the LC 500 and other vehicles in connection with the MKV are not particularly relevant. Try participating in a thread without posting. You might find it educational.

For those of you engaging in nonsensical back and forth with darkloki, I would ask you to cease and desist. Certainly, there is room for disagreement on topics that are near and dear to us. But, when the disagreements devolve into needless name calling, straying off topic and personal insults, it devalues the thread and you are likely to hear from moderators like me. Keep it cool, guys, and on point. I realize the MKV, for better or worst, has inflamed feelings here and that it's bled over into other sections. This is why I elected to post Kidney's post in this section and respond accordingly.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ken.
I got you load and clear and I'll stay off the boards for a while etc. But in hindsight even ZaZZn got into some heated conversations with same people in this actual thread. In general this section is about the MKV and there are multiple people who are in this section who really have no business being in this section ie "added value" with that being said I'll try to provide just that going forward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No one cares about a breakdown of the BMW engine. No one cares how it stacks up to the 2JZGTE. No one cares about the price. No one cares about it's performance. The MKV is a BMW 4 with an automatic transmission. There's nothing to discuss. Every defender of the car is claiming the ones that don't like it are poor kids or fanboys and they need to "get over it". There's nothing to get over because no one really cares. I know I don't. I'm just laughing at all of the comparison talk or "stacking up" talk. It's beside the point. Seriously, it's like going on a Mustang forum and trying to justify why their new mustang was just built by volkswagen and that it's a rebadged vw golf. No one would care because it's not a Ford. It really is that simple.
This just killed me.

41 - 60 of 232 Posts