Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
greedy capitalist
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a bunch of vehicles in my quest for off-road glory.

Budget: 4k(for vehicle)

Stipulation: no toyotas, & no jeep wranglers. Must seat 4 with room to haul gear. I'd like to take it to Moab sometime.

Use: mud and snow mostly. will not be used as a DD; off-road and snow boarding trips only. Possibly used to tow a light trailer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
so far, been kicking around,

Isuzu Trooper or Amigo. Nissan Pathfinder. Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick/Grand Vitara. Land Rover Discovery I. Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Jeep Cherokee. Open to other suggestions.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah it's hard to beat XJ's (cherokees) for those kind of stipulations. There is a huge aftermarket for them out there, they are cheap now, and you could probably even buy one already lifted and whatnot for a good price also. The 4.0 I6 is a pretty decent motor too for power/torque... atleast until you start getting larger than 35's

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Pathfinders in the range could be decent....decent 4x4 system, decent power. Interior is spacious for the era, V6 is potent enough with the 5spd. Gas mileage is inconcievably horrible tho, clutches are weak, trannies are only ok, all the exhaust manifolds crack, and the suspension makes you want to vomit on the highway. It will fit the bill tho.

If you don't mind a good dose of "rough around the edges," Suzuki Sidekicks are actually pretty bomb-proof little rigs, you won't be pulling any trailer tho LOL

Cherokees are pretty much the same story as the Pathfinder...meets all your requirements, but there's a bunch of little shit about them I dislike. The basic components are pretty solid tho.

I'd throw it all in the fire for a 4Runner or Toyota Extracab pickup tho (bet no one saw that coming)....not sure why you're doing yourself the dis-service of excluding those from the running.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Don't think you can find a Montero Sport for that price, unless it's completely beat to shit.

I'd check out Cherokees and older 4Runners, if you give up the no Toyota thing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm considering a bunch of vehicles in my quest for off-road glory.

Budget: 4k(for vehicle)

Stipulation: no toyotas, & no jeep wranglers. Must seat 4 with room to haul gear. I'd like to take it to Moab sometime.

Use: mud and snow mostly. will not be used as a DD; off-road and snow boarding trips only. Possibly used to tow a light trailer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
so far, been kicking around,

Isuzu Trooper or Amigo. Nissan Pathfinder. Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick/Grand Vitara. Land Rover Discovery I. Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Jeep Cherokee. Open to other suggestions.
I would keep an eye out for maybe a blown engine Dodge 1500... maybe a older FOrd diesel (crew cab not great for tight spots), Toyotas are the best known and hell last forever.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd definitely get something with solid axles. Either the Cherokee or (i know you're against it) an older 4 runner...maybe even a late 70s Land Cruiser. I love all of them for offroading...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I loved my recently sold '88 Pathfinder; the two door model with the triangle shaped side windows. Everybody (besides my wife) always commented on how cool a truck it was. Check that, every guy always commented on how cool it was. I've seen some with swapped in VG30DE from the NA Z for a little more power. I would've kept it but mine was rusting away pretty badly; previous owner must have had it in the salt alot.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
i know exactly what you need!

my nissan xterra!

imo the only vehicle straight from the showroom floor that would be able to handle that sorta thing, and probably the wrangler, but i don't have one of those!

and out in utah , and all over are xterra clubs, because they are the shit for rough terrain!

pm me if interested?
but is double your asking price range, but definely worth it!

tom

·
Secret Squirrel Shit
108 Posts
i know exactly what you need!

my nissan xterra!

imo the only vehicle straight from the showroom floor that would be able to handle that sorta thing, and probably the wrangler, but i don't have one of those!

and out in utah , and all over are xterra clubs, because they are the shit for rough terrain!

pm me if interested?
but is double your asking price range, but definely worth it!

tom
Toyota 4runner would run circles around an xterra. Excluding Toyotas = stupid idea.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Just curious.....Why don't you just use your Tacoma for the duties mentioned? Passenger space?

I don't see how a Toyota 4x4 is more bland than any of the choices you mentioned. If anything, in the older small truck and SUV market, I'd say Toyota's shit was the most characteristic of all the brands. But ehn, whatever.

I just got rid of a 92 Pathfinder I had for a winter beater and it was as bland as one could possibly get.....like I say, it'll work tho. Repairing manifolds is a given. If the clutch feels soft, it is. The 4x4 system in those years is ok, but can't be shifted at speed...I had some problems with the hubs and t-case on mine, but that sounds like bad luck other than the norm, not sure. I hated the suspension and ride on my clean, low mileage unit too....but YMMV. And honestly, the V6 uses more gas than you can imagine....14mpg highway would be a wet dream. More like 10 around town....I've never seen $70 tanks of gas go so fast, and I usually drive V8's!! Get it dirty cheap like I did and it all doesn't really matter....it was functional, just wasn't a very enjoyable vehicle overall. Like most Nissans, looks great on paper but mostly dissapointed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts