Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1jz-GTE swap. Going to drop in a 1jz this winter (maybe) and I'm going to have a budget of $5000. After this swap is done, running, and reliable I'm going to turn on my 7m-GE. I plan on sourcing a galant ECU off ebay or something to get the correct connectors to extend the wiring harness with a 3-foot or so extension that just plugs right in.

This engine and tranny will be going into my engine-less 1989 RX7. It should put down close to 170hp with miner bolt ons I would assume and it'll be in a super light car. Good combo I think. I'll have to find a way to make all my instruments work...I'm thinking of gutting the guage cluster and refitting it with aftermarket guages that run directly from the engine it's self. Also considering adapting the FC tranny and starter to the 7mGE so that I'll have an acurate speedometer. That's if I can mate the fly wheels which I doubt I can. I'll have to find another way to get a good speedo reeding if not...

Anyways...that's the jist of it. You guys think $5K is a decent budget?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
7mge in an rx7 seems like a bad idea. That car has a 50/50 weight distribution due to the light, small engine being placed behind the center of the front suspesnion ("front mid-engine"). And the 13b is easily capable of 170hp in NA form, so it isn't as if you're doing this swap to make massive power. I guess I just dont get it. It's the kind of swap that would nickel and dime you to death, and when you're finished all you have to show for it is an evil handling beast that is probably no quicker than a stock rx7 in a straight line

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
I will add a side note most people never think of:

All the stuff you can sell from your old engine, the rest of the clip, etc etc adds up to a lot.

eg. I came close to paying for my clip with items that I sold. (7M, turbo, IC, piping, 7M ECU, clip body parts, brakes, struts, rad, lights, switches, my old 88 rear subframe, and the list goes on and on....)

Not exactly the same in your case but always factor in all the stuff you can sell off.... it's more than you think.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ma71supraturbo said:
7mge in an rx7 seems like a bad idea. That car has a 50/50 weight distribution due to the light, small engine being placed behind the center of the front suspesnion ("front mid-engine"). And the 13b is easily capable of 170hp in NA form, so it isn't as if you're doing this swap to make massive power. I guess I just dont get it. It's the kind of swap that would nickel and dime you to death, and when you're finished all you have to show for it is an evil handling beast that is probably no quicker than a stock rx7 in a straight line
the reason why it's a consideration is because I'll have a complete 7m-GE engine/drivetrain lying around with no car and a car with no engine. With certain things removed from the engine bay such as AC, power steering, and battery the 7m adds 25lbs to the nose of the RX7. With the transfer of the battery to the hatch area instead of the storage compartments the balance remains very close. I've seen a couple of 7m-GTE powered FC RX7's with NO handling problems...a couple people from the rex world actually suggested I put the 1jz-GTE in the FC. The $5000 will go into the 1jz-GTE swap until it is complete and running reliably. The rest will go into the FC project and if I don't have enough to make it work then I hit up ebay.

51Cards...that's a decent idea but it's hard to pawn off a 100K+ 7m-GE on ebay or anywhere else for respectable cash. A lot of the extras will be sold to go towards paying for the project but if I have enough to make the car work then that's the route I'm taking. If nothing else I could get a lot more out of a running 7m-GE powered RX7 than I could out of the parts.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
51Cards said:
I will add a side note most people never think of:

All the stuff you can sell from your old engine, the rest of the clip, etc etc adds up to a lot.

eg. I came close to paying for my clip with items that I sold. (7M, turbo, IC, piping, 7M ECU, clip body parts, brakes, struts, rad, lights, switches, my old 88 rear subframe, and the list goes on and on....)

Not exactly the same in your case but always factor in all the stuff you can sell off.... it's more than you think.
51 cent is totally right. not many people think about the face that you will have an entire engine and tranny left over after you do the swap, nevermind the ct-26 (if you had a turbo) and intercooler etc. i think 5000$ USD is plenty. you could get a good jarco clip for 3k, shipped for 500, mike urbano harness for 600, and then the other 2jz parts aren't much and voila, if you do the swap yourself that'll be just around 5k, either that or you can gamble an get yourself a venus-auto clip. worked for JZA71.

check his site:
http://www.geocities.com/jza71/costofmyswap.html

you USA bitches are lucky...everything is so cheap for you people. a 1jz swap here in canada is ATLEAST 10k :(

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah project...I've seen a lot about his car...but you missed the fast that I don't have a GTE...I'll have a GE...;p.

·
Banned
540 Posts
Same engine, just copy our motor mounts, and tranny mount and your set, you gonna hack up the firewall like we did? If you don't your gonna have some serious problems shifting, cause the supra trans is alot shorter than the TII or n/a rex. Set the engine back 3" and the shifter hole still had to be moved 3" foward :)

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn...thanks for the heads up....lol. You didn't happen to compare the starters/flywheels/trannies did you? Making an adapter to fit the FC tranny to the 7m would be no problem at all but I need to do some research on teh compatabillity of the FC starter with the 7m fly. How did you guys get the speedo to work?

G

·
http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/
look under "what's new" title. 2nd gen chevy V8 swap. please read the whole online instructions article before commenting. $5000 will take you very far with that kind of project. lots of possiblities, endless aftermarket, cheap ass parts, and results that would put a smile on your face. don't be so quick to put down this project. just an alternative that spank the competition.

EDIT: and look at Tony's street driven 10 second 2nd gen chevy V8 car. results.

·
Banned
540 Posts
Were using all the Supra gauges for now, as for the rex trans we didn't even waste our time, the GTE would break the crap out f the n/a rx7 trans, and we sold both TII trans'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts