Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my engine rebuild is pretty much finished and awaiting a tune, I am about to begin construction of my full bottom paneling. Going to initially begin from front bumper lip back to the firewall, then move immediately to the back fueltank/subframe/rear bumper area due to my time frame.

I know higher MPH events these panels, if made correctly, help a good amount seeing what all our GTRs are doing.

In the meantime, if you guys have anything to share, please do! I will keep tabs here with my progress!

UPDATE:::

Still lots of little things here to iron and smooth out. But here's the progress of my front belly panel....

UPDATE of 8-4-16...

·
From the land down under
4,261 Posts
Will you leave the exhaust exposed, and just flat floor the rest of the under body?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to split the paneling to allow the exhaust to go back, which doubles the work and mounting work :(

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has crossed my mind. I like the front panel most because its also going to serve as a solid lower front bumper support. We all seen these old bumpers flex at high speeds. So, I will have it completely formed to the lower lip to keep it rigid as it can get. Considered cutting out some square areas and adding some louvers to it to help allow the engine bay heat out.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Mine supports the front bumper and lip and I can tell from coolant and oil temps that it improved airflow to my radiator and oil cooler, and the two side scoops from my lip duct air to front brakes, which were my main goals. Mine doesn't go further back than you see here since high speed aero wasn't my problem at the time.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Mine supports the front bumper and lip and I can tell from coolant and oil temps that it improved airflow to my radiator and oil cooler, and the two side scoops from my lip duct air to front brakes, which were my main goals. Mine doesn't go further back than you see here since high speed aero wasn't my problem at the time.
Nick did you make this yourself? Looks awesome!

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts

That looks Awesome man,Very well done

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
^ thanks, guys. No, I didn't make it. Rick Froehlich from DEFIVfab aka DEFIV Power Inc., Perkasie, PA made that for me and he fabricated a bunch of other stuff on my Supra and '32 roadster.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
^ thanks, guys. No, I didn't make it. Rick Froehlich from DEFIVfab aka DEFIV Power Inc., Perkasie, PA made that for me and he fabricated a bunch of other stuff on my Supra and '32 roadster.
Nick - as noted before, those are awesome. Can you get Rick to at least sell a template for that main panel and access panel so some of us could get one fabbed? Shipping for that would probably be crazy, but a template could be rolled into a tube!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Lar,

I can ask and post back here but I think I know what he'll say since he's already been asked by others. My lip is made to fit the Seibon TJ front lip so not sure how adaptable a template would be to other lips. If he had your car at this shop it's a lot simpler for fitment but not so much for owners who don't live nearby.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I am about to begin construction of my full bottom paneling. Going to initially begin from front bumper lip back to the firewall
And how exactly will the air that used to go thru the radiator, cool the engine, then escape out under the car behind the factory belly pan escape?

Or did you mean the front pan will stop where the factory one did? I am sure you know there has to be an opening for venting.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It'll stop at the firewall area. It'll also be ducted to allow air out eventually.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
If you make one try to make one that others can buy if you are interested in mass production.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just the front section?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Every car, lip, etc is slightly different. You all are men, I 'THINK' or atleast would like to 'HOPE' that if I did make and send you a front lower belly that IF it needed some light sanding/fitting to you UNIQUE setup, that you in fact, can handle that without making a huge cry fest over it :)

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its also looking like on the subframe, there are 2 or 3 open holes where I am going to weld in threaded bosses. Simply sand the paint off around the hole, push the threaded stud in the hole and mig weld it and DONE. Drill the holes thru the panel and VIOLA!

If you all are serious, I will ONCE done, take mine off, send it down to be scanned, and have waterjet guys down the road cut some out of my rigid alumalite board to sell

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
It'll stop at the firewall area. It'll also be ducted to allow air out eventually.
The factory has a decent sized opening behind the factory pan. I would not reduce that opening or you will be creating overheating issues. If the air can't escape as required, it won't go thru the radiator, it will go around the car.

Al

1 - 20 of 30 Posts