Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets sum up what the AEM ECU actually replaces......

I have tried sorting though the 501 post about the AEM programable ECU but I have given up. So, lets sum this up one more time in lamen terms. If you buy an AEM ECU for $1,400 then you don't need to buy or if you already have you can get rid of the following:

BCC
GCC
Air/Fuel Cont.
VPC

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
you wont need a boost controller either, or a 2 step rev limiter i believe

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool, thanks. If anyone has already bought this AEM ECU and wants to sell me their HKS VPC or Apex A/F cont for dirt cheap then let me know.:D

V

·
0 Posts
BCC
GCC
AFC
Boost Controller
2 Step
Traction control (aftermarket)
VPC
Ignition timing control

Plus lots more.

·
040-MK4 Only 19Kmiles
414 Posts
boostedsupratt,
How about the ODB II , do they do it...?

·
Blue 03 cobra I wish :)
251 Posts
is it out already
that is damn good deal for what it can do with it aem ecu

S

·
0 Posts
I don't think that it replace a vpc. you still have the maf with the restriction in place. all signal will came from the mafin the future as well. I think that an additional boost controler will not be wrong at all, I don't think that the stock solonoid valve will be strong or fast enough to support a realy quick flow to get arround 20 psi of boost. I like to change the boost at some days, that means my best friend in the future will be my laptop. LOL And if I'm right you have to stall the car everytime when you will adjust the fuelcurve on the dyno, if thats realy the case you have to keep the afc as well. that are my personal feelings. I think the aem ecu has realy a lot of potential, lets wait for some test report of some realy smart guys from sp, mvp, horsepowerfreaks ........

S

·
0 Posts
as far as I can tell from the 500+ post

BCC $100.00
AFC $349.00
Boost Controller $445.00
2 Step $215.00
Traction control (aftermarket) who knows what that will cost?
VPC $1288.00
GCC $500.00
Ignition timing control $who knows?
NOS controler\even multi-stage $ anyone?
Turbo Timer $150.00
as far as I can tell a few peeps are bitchin about having to use a laptop but I think a laptop is better than all of this (electronic clutter) other stuff you have to hard-wire in think of the cost and time saved on install!

V

·
0 Posts
I don't think that it replace a vpc. you still have the maf with the restriction in place. all signal will came from the mafin the future as well. I think that an additional boost controler will not be wrong at all, I don't think that the stock solonoid valve will be strong or fast enough to support a realy quick flow to get arround 20 psi of boost. I like to change the boost at some days, that means my best friend in the future will be my laptop. LOL And if I'm right you have to stall the car everytime when you will adjust the fuelcurve on the dyno, if thats realy the case you have to keep the afc as well. that are my personal feelings. I think the aem ecu has realy a lot of potential, lets wait for some test report of some realy smart guys from sp, mvp, horsepowerfreaks ........

You can wire in an additional switch to change between preset boost maps on the ECU. That eliminates your boost controller. The stock solenoid may not be useful, but you can probably replace that seperately. You do not need to "stall the car" to change the fuel maps. Everything is real time. Why could you tweak your fuel curves with an AFC while running, but not a standalone ECU? It CAN replace a VPC too. From what we've been told, it's fairly trivial to wire in MAP and IAT sensors and switch the ECU over to speed density mode.

J

·
0 Posts
SUPRA500 said:
I don't see anything in this paragraph that is correct. You ditch the VPC, AFC, and any other 3 letter electronics you have. You tune the car LIVE all the time, you only need to turn the car off when you want the engine to stop running. The stock boost controller is "strong enough" and "Fast enough". The concern here is if you can flow enough bypass air to acquire the desired boost. This is determined by the differential pressure over the wastegate spring. I.E. if the waste gate spring is 7lbs, and you want 20 psi, then you need to "Move" 13psi of air, and the stock solenoid is more than likely to small to move that kind of air.

Jason.

S

·
0 Posts
see now thats what I thought, I wonder if you could ,oh no wait yeah you could.

·
Super Moderator
4,428 Posts
Just curious....no one has mentioned it..but can you change the rev limiter also? I am assuming you can..but want to make sure. Because if it does ..you can throw in the cost of what it would cost for a "g-force" ecu upgrade or something similar w, which is around 1200 or so...so if in actuality its well worth the money for that fact alone if it does it IMHO

S

·
0 Posts
as far as I can tell from the really big thread, yes you can change the rev limiter, and allot more it makes the ENTIRE system open ended. meaning the all of the parameters are user definable, things like rev limits, shift points, warning lights , everything. you can change the sensors such as MAF to MAP, or stock o2 to wideband, hell if you wanted to get really anal you could put a wideband o2 sensor in each exaust runner if you wanted. Its all a matter of software, at last performance parts for hackers

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
people are bitching about having a laptop, but you dont need a laptop in the car while you are driving right? you only need it for when you want to change something or check on something, correct?

A

·
0 Posts
skag said:
hell if you wanted to get really anal you could put a wideband o2 sensor in each exaust runner if you wanted.
Well, actually no, you couldn't do that. Not AEM's fault, just that WB02 sensors don't work when in the exhaust pre-turbo. The extream temperatures will damage the sensors, and the readings will not be accuracte. I have been told this is because of the pressure changes in the exhaust that occur before the turbo.

But you COULD for instance have a EGT in each runner, and tune each individual fuel injector so that each cylinder is balanced. Remember on any given engine, there can be significant differences between cylinder A/F ratio, that is not evident just by looking at one value (A/F ratio or EGT). You can only run the car as hard as your leanest cylinder.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Heh, missed this thread...

Not only is it FULLY open ended, like any other stand alone ECU, but it also exposes all of the tables for the various sensors. Want to run a "faster stronger" boost solenoid? Go for it. Want to run a cheap GM IAT sensor? Not a problem! Different MAF? Sure, get the engineering data and put it in. Bigger injectors? Yup yup. No rev limiter at all? 2 step rev limiter? Yup again. Different levels of boost based on gear selection? I do believe that's possible too :D Jason posted some pinouts in another thread - there's a pile of spare I/Os and the 6speed car gets even more of them. Apparently some of these can be programmed as triggers to activate other functions (Nitrous) etc. Sweet!

So, the alphabet soup of various add-on parts to trick the stock ECU to do what you want isn't needed. A laptop IS needed but only for adjustments, it can even datalog standalone for a period of time and dump to the laptop later on.

The boost controller is th eone thing I'm wondering about maybe usig with the AEM ECU. It would be nice to be able to switch boost levels to whatever you wanted easily. I'm wondering if perhaps an analog input could be used with a rheostat to raise and lower boost. Guess we'll know soon enough!

Aznsporter: You beta testing this? That doesn't look like the demo software to me unless a new version has been released. If you're testing and not under NDA can you share any impressions? Would really make the waiting easier to bear ;) [edit] Where did that come from? I saw your car was nabbed so probably not a beta... can ya' share?

V

·
0 Posts
Aznsporter: You beta testing this? That doesn't look like the demo software to me unless a new version has been released. If you're testing and not under NDA can you share any impressions? Would really make the waiting easier to bear [edit] Where did that come from? I saw your car was nabbed so probably not a beta... can ya' share?
That looks like the same V0.32 currently on AEMs website. I think the main reason for the visual difference is the fact that he's running Windows XP and it has a funky looking interface. I suppose it could be a better beta though ;)

S

·
0 Posts
AnArKey said:

But you COULD for instance have a EGT in each runner, and tune each individual fuel injector so that each cylinder is balanced. Remember on any given engine, there can be significant differences between cylinder A/F ratio, that is not evident just by looking at one value (A/F ratio or EGT). You can only run the car as hard as your leanest cylinder.
Thanks for correcting me you are right I should have said EGT my bad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts