Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it's been awhile since I've ridden maybe 05 and holy crap gear has gotten better and there is so much of it. Currently looking at helmets = shoei and arai. But I saw a helmet that has all the DOT endorsements (DOT DMVSS 218(US), ECE 22-05(Europe), SAI AS1698 (Australia) & SG Japan safety and testing standards) from a company called Icon.
Now the helmet is super cheap price wise at $150 (which kinda makes me think hmm??). However it has a great look and from what I have seen has received great customer reviews. However, my head is a bit important to me. I am looking for thoughts from you all on the Icon alliance dark helmet. And other helmet suggestions and likes. thank you

you tube link of the helmet

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,164 Posts
Hey Danny, I don't ride too much but my brother races somewhat professionally on a few CBR600s he has built for track use. This was his high-side at 110mph on Turn 11 at Chuckwalla last year. Pic is a screenshot taken from his buddy's GoPro. The helemt he is wearing is an Arai and says it's what saved his life. He says the Icon helmets are worth more for their graphics than protection. Hope this helps and stay safe out there. BTW, he adds, "If you have a $150 head, buy a $150 helmet." He also says look into the brand AGV because that's what he is gonna switch to this season.

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Danny, I don't ride too much but my brother races somewhat professionally on a few CBR600s he has built for track use. This was his high-side at 110mph on Turn 11 at Chuckwalla last year. Pic is a screenshot taken from his buddy's GoPro. The helemt he is wearing is an Arai and says it's what saved his life. He says the Icon helmets are worth more for their graphics than protection. Hope this helps and stay safe out there. BTW, he adds, "If you have a $150 head, buy a $150 helmet." He also says look into the brand AGV because that's what he is gonna switch to this season.

WOW amazing pic and am glad he's ok... good to know I've looked at a few shoei and arai in the 600 range..thx for the info

hey Patrick ask your bro what he thinks of this one
AGV AX-8 EVO Naked Full Face Motorcycle Street Helmet

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to know..thx

·
Banned
124 Posts
I've had two Arai Corsair helemts and enjoyed both of them but I think I will try a Shoei next. Icon stuff I stay away from, it's kind of like the ricer stuff of the bike world IMO. Every time I see an Icon ad I think of those motorcycle gang toolbags in NY who beat that poor Asian guy in front of his wife and kid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I personally have run a lot of suomy helmets. They fit me great, where the shoei felt a little loose on my head.
you cant go wrong with suomy, aria, or shoei. all top of their game imo. just get what fits you the best. cool graphics wont protect your head

Ive had several friends with icon helmets and I have tried them, its cheap junk imo. Ill never ever ride with one again, it is not aerodynamic, fits like crap, and just has an overall cheap feeling with no sense of security for my head.

I have laid one down pretty hard with a suomy helmet and it held up very well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm in for seeing where this goes. I've street ridden for 3 years now and ready to upgrade my Scorpion.

Also I have a question.. Who makes helmets with smaller outer shells? Like what helmet company has a different shell for each helmet size? And whose are smaller? I think scorpion uses 3differnt size shells across all of their helmet sizes.. But my medium helmet seems like the shell is pretty big.
I sometimes see peoples with full face helmets that just seem so much smaller.. So I now have to consider this while shopping. I'm currently leaning toward a Shoei.

·
651 Posts
Arai all the way.. I will never buy another brand. I've been riding street and track for over 25 years. I had an Arai Doohan replica on and had a nasty high side at Road Atlanta in the late 90's.. I almost died on that one. Head was perfectly fine. 80 mph+ nasty high side in the old chicane.. grinded the shit out of it.. completely flat on the side.

Years ago, I had an old Schwantz replica helmet which was needing some refurbishing. I wasn't gonna use it anymore, just have Schwantz sign it and keep it.. I sent it back to them and told them to refurbish it as best they could for display. I told them I didn't care what it cost, just send me the bill.

They made it brand new, sent it back to me and didn't charge me a thing.. They just had a note in the box which said.."No charge, just keep buying our helmets"

I've never owned, used, or considered another brand ever.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Arai all the way.. I will never buy another brand. I've been riding street and track for over 25 years. I had an Arai Doohan replica on and had a nasty high side at Road Atlanta in the late 90's.. I almost died on that one. Head was perfectly fine. 80 mph+ nasty high side in the old chicane.. grinded the shit out of it.. completely flat on the side.

Years ago, I had an old Schwantz replica helmet which was needing some refurbishing. I wasn't gonna use it anymore, just have Schwantz sign it and keep it.. I sent it back to them and told them to refurbish it as best they could for display. I told them I didn't care what it cost, just send me the bill.

They made it brand new, sent it back to me and didn't charge me a thing.. They just had a note in the box which said.."No charge, just keep buying our helmets"

I've never owned, used, or considered another brand ever.
This.

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
<<< Arai owner here. Went with a signet Q for a tour I was riding. When you're riding 500-600 miles in a day for 2 weeks the helmet you pick had better be fucking comfortable. A little break in period and that Arai fit my head like a glove. I know others will suggest that some helmets are just as good, but honestly I have no interest in ever buying another brand of helmet. Why stray from what I know fits and works.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It depends on your head shape. Safety standards have become so strict it's apples to apples. I own a SHOEI RF1100 and a Schuberth C3 pro which I think is the best touring helmet money can buy I use that helmet on my naked bike.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I tend to chose track-based helmets due to tracking a fair amount, but also still street ride, so they've got to be comfortable.
Fit should be #1 priority, then decide what's important to you. Weight, ventilation, aero efficiency, interior materials, shields (ease of swapping, are there tinted/transitions lens options, vent/locking ability, etc), liner removability (for washing), noise levels, etc....

Bell, Shoei, Suomy, and X-Lite for me....

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I use Shoei myself. Never really used the Icons much but if you don't want to pay the ridiculous price, HJC makes pretty good helmets as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts