Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I'm trying to gather all the info. I can about Level Ten tranny upgrades. I understand a number of people here have some experience with them (not all good, from what I hear).

TIA!
- Josh

·
666 Posts
First do a search.... Second, STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JWyner(Little Washu) said:
Hey all.

I'm trying to gather all the info. I can about Level Ten tranny upgrades. I understand a number of people here have some experience with them (not all good, from what I hear).

TIA!
- Josh

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, what company does GOOD work?

I'm looking to eventually do some sort of transmission upgrade. I know you guys here do this much more than the guys in my forum.

Your experience is greatly appreciated. (Sounds like Level Ten sucks -- glad I came by here!)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
First of all, from what I heard, Level 10 used to be good. But as of a few years ago, they started to really put out shoddy packages. My friend who had a 1994 TT MKIV went through hell with them. I personally drove up to help drop off his car at least 4 times. It was a hellacious drive past NYC to Hamburg, NJ too. Interestingly, after each pickup the trans shifted harder and crisper. But after that initial period, each subsequent trans would grenade sooner, some as little as a 3 weeks. It woul've been better (given that my friend at the time had only BPU), to slap on a fresh stocker and just live with the more gradual degradation in shift quality. I think they build a good mechanical package but the electronic-mechanical part of things is screwy...particularly the control of line pressure during the shifts. Soon my friend was drivin around with scan tools a lot of the time just to monitor line pressure which in turn took all the fun out of driving the car. I heard better things about SP. And don't forget to consider Art Carr's custom fitted 700R-4. Usually GM 700R-4s are not able to withstand more than 500hp even built, but Art Carr claims they have a MKIV running around in So.Ca with a manual valvebody 700R-4 behind a 800+rwhp motor.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I sent my tranny to Level 10 and then it started acting weird after ~6 months and blew up after it was 9 months old. They wanted another $1400 to "fix it" but I didn't trust their work, so I sent it to Sound Performance and am very pleased with it.

I live in Yorba Linda, if you'd like you can come on over and see the box of worn out clutches and broken gears that I have in my garage that SP sent back to me from my Level upgrade.

As far as I'm concerned the only shop that has time proven trannies so far is Sound Performance. There a few new guys on the block claiming to make good tranny upgrades for the Supra, but the haven't been making them for that long. They could very well be great, but until there's some more time behind them, I'd err on the safe side.

Just $0.02 from someone who's dropped $10k in transmissions. :mad:

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
get in tough withthe bbb in j and you will see thay have a bad rating very bad ..stay away from them a big waste og money ask philly single!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts