Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
it goes with 550 injectors and i think it tells the ecu that there is more air going to the engine and then it pumps up the air fuel ratio. i think

·
Marco from t/Netherlands
168 Posts
It comes down to this:
Allowes you to use bigger injectors (550cc) and still use the stock ecu and nothing more (no additional fuel computers ).
It also raises your fuel cut.

That's about it. No HP increase by just doing this mod.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The lexus afm is 25% bigger than the stock afm. This will allow 25% more airflow to the motor. But like said above you dont want to run this without the 550 injectors to componsate for the larger air flow. Basically with the lexus afm and the 550s it is tricking the ecu to think that its still running like stock.

·
Registered
426 Posts
what lexus would you pull the afm from? I heard that it should come out of a 93-95 lexus es300? is that correct? Also one more question I need to ask is. I got a 89 supra turbo and I want to run more boost then 6.8 psi. How is this possibly done? What should be the first thing I do to prep the motor to run more boost? I got the car and it came with a down pipe, greddy sp exhaust, blitz bov, and greddy turbo timer also has tokico suspension set up. Should I first get the metal head gasket and then a boost gauge since the stock one goes up to 8psi? Also what brand of boost controllers are good to look into? Thanks to anyone that can help me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much boost to plan on having? if you go with a boost controller then you won't need a boost gauge, the boost controller can display your boost. Blitz and HKS are good boost controllers. if you plan on 8lbs then you can get away with ARP head studs(not bolts) a metal head gasket is a must and ARP main studs but if you want more boost than that and want the engine to last i would suggest forged pistons and piston rods as well as chrom-moly piston rings and coated rod and main bearings.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,095 Posts
Stock motor is fine, stock headgasket is fine, stock bolts are fine too.

If the head is torqued to 72 ft/lbs or higher (not too much), and you are keeping an eye on air fuel ratios with premium fuel you'll be fine. If the engine has never suffered a BHG, and you start turning up the boost, then it may happen.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The afm comes out of a lexus ls400 if i remember correctly. Also you can buy them from suprasport.com too or check the forsale section, they come up all the time. I just sold mine a month ago.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'd recommend using an SAFC on the car stock since it's runs so pig rich fromt he factory...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Stock motor is fine, stock headgasket is fine, stock bolts are fine too.

If the head is torqued to 72 ft/lbs or higher (not too much), and you are keeping an eye on air fuel ratios with premium fuel you'll be fine. If the engine has never suffered a BHG, and you start turning up the boost, then it may happen.
Noob question to ya. As far as I know (not seen the paper work) the previous owner told me that the HG had blown and they took it in for repair. That was in 03 so would the dealership have torqued it to 72ft/lbs and would it be safe to run higher boost? Thanks Bill.

·
Registered
426 Posts
how much boost is safe for the stock turbo to run on if I still have the stock head gasket? actually i don't even know if my head gasket is stock or not. bought the car from a friend and the previous owner and my friend had did the mods. i think the car has more potential to run higher boost then the stock level. the car came with a down pipe, greddy sp exhaust, blitz bov, has a greddy turbo timer. the car sits on tokico springs and shocks and also has trust strut bars in the front and the rear. What is the first thing I should save up for if I want to run more boost then stock? My goal is to make the supra be able to pump out 300-400hp. I would be happy with that kind of numbers.

·
Marco from t/Netherlands
168 Posts
if you want 300 hp at the wheels you'll be blowing your stock hg in less than no time.

Don't exactly know how much boost 3 washers (shimms) between the wastegate give but that's just about the maximum a stocker can handle. (0.65 bar of boost or something like that)

correct me if i'm wrong. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would start saving up for at least head studs and the head gasket and from there you can go towards reinforcing the rest of your bottom end. don't skimp on anything because i have before and i've always hated myself for it in the long run

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
stock headgasket is good for at least 20PSI if you torque it down enough (there are people on this forum that have done it)

other than that, there isn't a real "limit" to anything as TUNING determines that, not boost pressure or HP...

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
how about the stock (brand new from Toyota) head bolts & a composite Felpro HG. how much boost would it handle. considered that I tighten the head bolts at 80 ft. lbs. (just like the ARP's.) and did 3 passes (w/ about 1hr. of time to relax the head in between passes??)

thanks guys.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
stock headbolts will just stretch at the torque required

ARP's aren't that expensive, it's just the time to prep the block for em (you have to run a blind tap down the threads or they won't go in all the way)

·
Registered
426 Posts
is there a possible way to check if a metal hg was put in? or would I have to just take off parts and check myself? I know that my friend had the engine rebuilt with a jdm 7mgte.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts