Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm an old man now and drive a GS300. I have a slew of questions, and I just trust SF.com a lot more than other sites.

I am in the market for a DVD/Navi/CD setup. I am considering Pioneer, Eclipse, Kenwood, etc.

Here's my priorities...
-Navigation (don't care in dash or separate unit, as long as w/in good price range.)
-DVD (see above, external/internal fine)
-Screen - HIGHLY PREFER DOUBLE DIN ALL IN ONE DASH (not flip out)
-Touch screen a bonus
-Want Nav/DVD in motion (will bypass if I need to, but don't want to get a gyro unit like the new Z1 pioneer or anything, too pricey anyway)
SUGGESTIONS, EXPERIENCE, and PRICE RANGES appreciated!!! I have room in the glove box or under the trunk rear deck lid to put in the aux DVD/Nav if needed and able to fit my budget....

Ok, lexus specific stuff for the experts...how easy is an install in the GS300/GS400 series lexus? I have the body style just before the brand new one, with the roundish lights in front and the small round tail lights as well (the popular/common ones.) I hope I don't need a custom made dash kit....

Is integration with the factory Nakamichi (I think) system possible/easy/cheap? Will my stock sub still work?

Lasty, I have a mac amp (50x4 and ~300x1 I think, 5 channel) sitting in my garage, as well as a PPI 300x2 sub amp, remote bass control for this, 1 farad cap, and all the wiring ready to go...think I should toss it in the car? If so, what sub would you recommend?

Priorities with the sub are
-Not too big, 10-12" max. 1 or 2 fine... I am not too into big bass anymore, just want full sound/SQ/Punchy bass. I don't want my trunk rattling like a cadddy here.
-Space concious enclosure (I use my trunk for a change.)
-You see my power limitations (With just the mac amp vs the PPI going in there too) above^^

You guys are the best! :)

Adrock

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh also...if I go down the route of throwing my garage stuff in the car...Which speakers do you recommend for my current setup? I need to look up the GS sizes online here to know what size I have...Anyone know if I can mod the enclosure to fit a larger midrange ahead of time???

Adam

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
installation in a lex isn't that bad. for the GS you need to tap into the speed pulse wire behind the dash cluster. Don't believe what the companies and the install instructions tell you about the purple wire...they're wrong.

these should be pictures of behind the dash with the correct wire.

SCOSCHE or American International makes a good double din dash kit for the GS, I can check tomorrow for you at work if you would like.

what kind of price range are we talking here for the navi? Eclipse is really good for navi on the move as well as DVD on the move with ease and all in one unit. They are more on the expensive side however.

Definitly keep that McIntosh amp and run it if you can. Do you know the model of it?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look at what model my McIntosh is. I bought it years ago when I was really into car audio, and spend a small fortune on it.

I'll do some more looking at the eclipse unit. Seems to go for ~1400 crutchfield and ~1k ebay. That is where I'd like to stay at the top of my price range, I am not about to blow 2k on a head unit.

I'd love for you to look up the dash kit info. I'll check out that clublexus.com link now too. Thank you all, keep the advice coming!

BTW, 88supramkiii, what is the normal instruction for the purple wire? Can you clarify what they will tell me (at other sites or whatever) vs what is the "correct" wire and what needs to be hooked up? Thanks

Adam

·
1,924 Posts
sounds like you might be looking at the AVN5435 which is a good unit. I have the AVN2454 which is the unit from the year before, the AVN6600s were released yesterday so I'm hoping that we'll get one on order and get it into my car really soon :D

forgot to copy the text from the page that i got those pictures from.

"The VSS wire is on the 'top' row, that means with the clip side up as pictured. It's the 4th pin from the left when looking at the wires, the green wire.

Colors in order on the clip are black, orange, pink, green"

we hadn't done a lexus in quite a while, and then all of the sudden they're coming out of the woodworks. So we checked our sites and called the companies to try to get the correct wire for the speed pulse wire. EVERYONE said that it was this one wire, but it just wasn't working. I jumped on CL and found it for the tech and 5 minutes later the car was working like a charm :)

you should be able to save a couple hundred bucks by installing the deck yourself, it's not too bad. If you want I can get you all of the other wire codes as well tomorrow at work. I'll get you the specific kit name as well tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love the wire codes. I installed car stereo for ~2 years myself ;) Little known fact. I am going to be doing the install with a buddy from my neighborhood who is the head installer at the local circuit city.

I think I'm between the Eclipse AVN 5435 and the Pioneer D1/D2 w/an external DVD player at this point....Thoughts!?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, from reading, looks like I can rip out my changer in the glove box, put in the DVD changer there, which is awesome. I'll probably go that route, and sell off my CD changer too.

The bypass for the pioneer is easy w/just grounding a clip off the one bare wire harness pin. I am really leaning Pioneer w/DVD and navi at the same time on split screen too (with the external DVD player) esp. since I can find a D1/D2 for a great price.

Thoughts? Eclipse counterpoints?

·
1,924 Posts
if you want ease of everything, go eclipse. if you want to have fun bypassing...then be my guest and go pioneer ;)

basically it comes down to personal preference. I think everyone who hangs out in here knows i'm an eclipse fan :D If you do go eclipse then all you need to do is ground the red wire with the white stripe and your video will play while you're driving. What year is your GS and I'll look up the codes for ya.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and is the Pioneer D1 different from the D2 whatsoever???

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
88supramkiii said:
if you want ease of everything, go eclipse. if you want to have fun bypassing...then be my guest and go pioneer ;)

basically it comes down to personal preference. I think everyone who hangs out in here knows i'm an eclipse fan :D If you do go eclipse then all you need to do is ground the red wire with the white stripe and your video will play while you're driving. What year is your GS and I'll look up the codes for ya.
My GS is a 2000, might be an 01, but look up 2000.

The pioneer is one wire from the pin out, ground it and that all works too :)

They both are easy to bypass...not really an issue. Did you happen to know anything about the D1/D2 differences? Wonder if it will end up being cheaper, same price, I guess I should go play with the units...Who the hell near me carries eclipse :scratch:

Adam

·
1,924 Posts
I'll let Minguez chime in with the pioneer specs ;) He knows them better than I do. I just checked one site that we use and it didn't have the info so I'll check tomorrow at work for ya.

·
1,924 Posts
Adrocktt said:
My GS is a 2000, might be an 01, but look up 2000.

The pioneer is one wire from the pin out, ground it and that all works too :)

They both are easy to bypass...not really an issue. Did you happen to know anything about the D1/D2 differences? Wonder if it will end up being cheaper, same price, I guess I should go play with the units...Who the hell near me carries eclipse :scratch:

Adam

circuit city and Sound Depot and Performance are both dealers in Gainesville.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Adrocktt said:
od price range.)
-DVD (see above, external/internal fine)
-Screen - HIGHLY PREFER DOUBLE DIN ALL IN ONE DASH (not flip out)
-Touch screen a bonus
-Want Nav/DVD in motion (will bypass if I need to, but don't want to get a gyro unit like the new Z1 pioneer or anything, too pricey anyway)
SUGGESTIONS, EXPERIENCE, and PRICE RANGES appreciated!!! I have room in the glove box or under the trunk rear deck lid to put in the aux DVD/Nav if needed and able to fit my budget....

Ok, lexus specific stuff for the experts...how easy is an install in the GS300/GS400 series lexus? I have the body style just before the brand new one, with the roundish lights in front and the small round tail lights as well (the popular/common ones.) I hope I don't need a custom made dash kit....

Is integration with the factory Nakamichi (I think) system possible/easy/cheap? Will my stock sub still work?

Lasty, I have a mac amp (50x4 and ~300x1 I think, 5 channel) sitting in my garage, as well as a PPI 300x2 sub amp, remote bass control for this, 1 farad cap, and all the wiring ready to go...think I should toss it in the car? If so, what sub would you recommend?

Priorities with the sub are
-Not too big, 10-12" max. 1 or 2 fine... I am not too into big bass anymore, just want full sound/SQ/Punchy bass. I don't want my trunk rattling like a cadddy here.
-Space concious enclosure (I use my trunk for a change.)
-You see my power limitations (With just the mac amp vs the PPI going in there too) above^^

You guys are the best! :)

Adrock
Just finished a GS the other week and it went well. My suggestions would be the Eclipse unit like 88supramkiii was saying. The AVN-5500 is most inexpensive navigation/dvd unit that Eclipse has right now since they discontinued the AVN-5435.

If you are the type that needs adjustability from the headunit then I would wait for the AVN-6600. The AVN-5500 does not have a crossover so you would bounce from the trunk to your seat quite often. Another perk with the AVN-6600 is that it has the options available to control an Ipod, is tv tuner capable and has a 6.5" widescreen vs. the normal 6.5".

For me I would pick Eclipse over Pioneer.

As far as subwoofers go I would personally stick with a 10" sub. It'll make life a bit easier when trying to replace your factory subwoofer. The grill in your rear deck is in the middle, but your subwoofer isn't. It is actually more to the driver's side to compensate for the center passenger seat belt mechanism. If you don't want to fool with an enclosure and modifying your rear deck then look into www.dlsamerica.com and check out the DLS OA10. That is thier "free-air" subwoofer and it performs suprisingly well. Your single 5channel McIntosh amp should do just fine.

Since you have a friend that works for Circuit City see if he/she will let you purchase an Eclipse headunit through his employee accomadation. You'll thank your friend once you find out how much of a discount they get once a year :)

Here are some pics of the Lexus that was finished recently.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^Thanks for all the help.

Any reason for the Eclipse over Pioneer choice? It seems to be a more expensive unit, but I wanted to know the benifits.

The free air recommendation is very helpful. Maybe that is the route to go if I do install the amp. How is install, is it just drop in or will I need to mod the hole?

What size door speakers could you fit in the GS (and I guess what size is stock, though I'm willing to mod the enclosure to fit the 6.5 or 6.75s in there.)

The GS came out very clean :) I don't want that flip out thing blocking my AC controls though, that's for sure!

Adam

·
Registered
59 Posts
Adrocktt said:
^Thanks for all the help.

Any reason for the Eclipse over Pioneer choice? It seems to be a more expensive unit, but I wanted to know the benifits.

The free air recommendation is very helpful. Maybe that is the route to go if I do install the amp. How is install, is it just drop in or will I need to mod the hole?

What size door speakers could you fit in the GS (and I guess what size is stock, though I'm willing to mod the enclosure to fit the 6.5 or 6.75s in there.)

The GS came out very clean :) I don't want that flip out thing blocking my AC controls though, that's for sure!

Adam
The front doors can accomadate a 6.5" driver. That particular Lexus we did has a set of MB Quart Premium components in there. The rears we used theMB Quart reference component set with the 5.25" driver. The doors will require an MDF baffle built to house the mid's properly.

On the 10" driver its not really a drop in type of deal, but with a MDF baffle it should be fairly easy to do.

Oh, and I like the Eclipse unit mainly because it has all the features you want housed into one unit. You would have no need for an external dvd drive.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Adam I have a sub box sitting in my appt right now its 3 10's I will come by with it later if you want to take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm, I might be interested...What kind of subs? Would it fit easy? I am not sure if I want to even do the stereo or just sell off my tons of car stereo crap which would basically pay for the head unit :) How's life Jason? I'm in finals right now, so things are hectic, but we should get together and go out one of these days.

Adam

1 - 20 of 49 Posts