Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LS WON
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am selling my modded vr4 to get a more economical , comfortable car. I'm putting heavy highway miles on whatever I get...

Well my options right now are a gs300 ( 98 /99) or a bmw 3 series 99+ . Wasn't looking to spend more than 7500 so i'm expecting the miles to be around 100k. Which would you pick out of the two? I know the 2jzge will be pretty solid, should I ditch it for the euro?

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Those two cars that you wanna buy, not aren't more economical.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, if you're gonna start @ around 100k & be putting on a lot of miles on top of that def go w/ the Lex. My wife & I have owned both a GS300 & 400 & both were pretty much bulletproof. Just get one w/ a good service history & you should be gtg. G-luck, D.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Wouldn't compare a GS300 to a E46.

The BMW is much more nimble on it's feet and lighter, that is priceless for me.

I see no real reason to go with the GS300 unless you are paranoid about reliability, want more room, more usable trunkspace, nice luxury options, couldn't afford the GS400/430, wanted a GS and a manual transmission, or to go turbo. GUTLESS.

Conversely someone might go for the BMW if they don't mind higher parts cost, want a much better manual, much more engaging to drive, larger selection of aftermarket parts, comes in two door version, touring version, and had a lot of options the Lexus didn't come with. (Performance packages for example) Early models with the lower displacement and autos are also GUTLESS.

Depending on where you live one of them will be more expensive to insure.

Remember; if it's a 100,000 mile car either one will need some servicing. A well cared for 150,000 mile car is more valuable than a trashed 100,000 mile car.

That is too little money you have to get either one of those cars IMO. The fact that you are looking at first year models substantiates my claim even if you didn't intend that.

·
456 Posts
i would go with the lexus if you're gonna put a lot of miles on it. sounds like it'd be more comfy on the highway and more reliable/cheaper

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wouldn't compare a GS300 to a E46.

The BMW is much more nimble on it's feet and lighter, that is priceless for me.

I see no real reason to go with the GS300 unless you are paranoid about reliability, want more room, more usable trunkspace, nice luxury options, couldn't afford the GS400/430, wanted a GS and a manual transmission, or to go turbo. GUTLESS
His listed criteria is economical and comfortable, I think the GS is a no brainer. Sounds like hes also on a bit of a budget so that again is another nod for the GS due to repairs and reliability. I'd agree with you if he said anything about having fun or being sporty. Even then you can get turbo kits for the GS at a pretty decent price and still have a pretty reliable and comfortable car.

·
Entrepreneur
959 Posts
Lexus GS. Had mine for few years now, and the only thing i replaced was the CAT. I had BMW, MB and it's just not the same.

·
BMW Tech
337 Posts
I am a BMW Tech and I would tell you to go for the Lexus. BMW's have a high repair cost and during the higher miles it will either be hit or miss finding a good one.

I am even looking at Lexus's right now due to the great things they have to offer. I will keep my E36 M3 but still it costs a arm and a leg at my price to keep it running on its top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts