Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting either a 98-00 GS400 or a newer GS300 for DD. I was wondering if thee cars are reliable? I have looked at BMWs and others and I am kinda scared cause I hear mixed reviews. I mainly am looking for a classy car that won't break on me or if it does won't cost me an arm and a leg. The car will see 8-10k miles a year max. Also for what I can afford the car will have 50-70k miles on it.

Also do these GS cars have the same auto as the MKIVs? Aisin Warner (AW4)? Just curius since thats whats in my Jeep and I know its a great tranny.

So far my other car of choice is a 4-door G35.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
nos2Supra said:
I was wondering if thee cars are reliable?
Math 101:

Lexus = Toyota = Reliability Gods.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYRARMS said:
Math 101:

Lexus = Toyota = Reliability Gods.

Not sure man, I know those new Camrys are already having bad tranny issues. Thats why I hope Toyota didn't start going down hill till after these cars were made.

·
Dreamer
1,627 Posts
GS's are reliable as hell from what I have heard. G35 is good, too but you might have little annoying issues like rattles... I only had 2 and dealer took care of it. I would stay away from early 03 models. :)

·
Track Junkie
1,581 Posts
nos2Supra said:
Looking at getting either a 98-00 GS400 or a newer GS300 for DD. I was wondering if thee cars are reliable? I have looked at BMWs and others and I am kinda scared cause I hear mixed reviews. I mainly am looking for a classy car that won't break on me or if it does won't cost me an arm and a leg. The car will see 8-10k miles a year max. Also for what I can afford the car will have 50-70k miles on it.

Also do these GS cars have the same auto as the MKIVs? Aisin Warner (AW4)? Just curius since thats whats in my Jeep and I know its a great tranny.

If you take your cars to dealers, Lexus will cost less to maintain then BMWs, Mercedes Benz. Generally GS's reliability is good, but it also depends on the car you get whether it has been babyed or horriably treated. GS400 uses the V8 1UZ engine, while GS300 uses 2JZGE engine. I could be wrong but I beileve only GS300 uses the same auto tranny as the MKIV.

G35 is a nice choice. We just purchased a 05 one, and it has be pleasure to drive it around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking @ the same thing , as well as a CLK320 or an E320... a CLK would be a great car with a big single on low boost.. I can't leave well enough alone... I loose my company car soon as I am switching jobs. I would also look @ a used LS400 ,they are cheap!

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
nos2Supra said:

First off good luck tring to find a 6 to 8 year old lexus with less then 70K miles on it. The reason these cars will have such high mileage is because its a great car and people will be putting miles on them. If you dont want to be paying the high price for things to break down then maybe you should be looking for a cheaper car where parts are alot cheaper like a honda, toyota or nissan. The only car i see outta the bunch that might be a little cheaper to fix would be the GS300 since it shares the same motor as the SC and Supra N/A's with the 2JZ-GE. Dont mean to sound like an ass but just stateing what i think and whats true.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I had 98 GS400 for 2 years, zero problems, amazing car.

It had 2 serious glitch, the body really flex hard when driven hard, the car had a crease in the lower driver side front fender area very close to the driver door. Simply unbelievable, got to see it to believe it. I did drift through the corner near where I used to live every opportunity I got though. ;)

The button shifter on the steering wheel is simply junk. Takes 1 to 1.5sec between shifts. Always starts in L2. No wonder they deleted this feature with 2000+ GS430.

When people joke about the body rigidity of Lexus, they were not kidding. I also had 95 SC400 in the past, that was much more rigid.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
Get an older LS400, it's actually a more sporting car than all their other cars. I put my money where my mouth is for that one. Don't let people lie to you about repair costs either. It's all hearsay from people who have never owned one. For what it is worth it costs more to maintain the LS400 or the LS430 in this household than it does for our S55. If only because Lexus was so stingy on the terms of extending the warranties. Expect to pay around $1500-$2000 a year or more once you get a car older than 98 or so. Like the benz when you buy CPO it's a safe bet nothing will need replacement, as anything that could break has already been replaced. In real world conditions what this means is that unless you are like me and repair every little thing the service dept can find to charge you for the costs will only be as expenisive as you want them to be. That said the car will never leave you stranded. Reliability is like a dirty word for car enthusiasts. All people want to talk about is the negatives, because otherwise there is nothing to say. Of course people like to talk about the repair costs of the BMW, nobody ever says; "Well today my car ran flawlessly, just like yesterday. I expect it to run flawless tommorow. More pictures when I get home tonight". My first BMW was a 318ti/M3 clone. Through out that time I looked at picking myself up the then relatively still mid year 5 series. The BMW will make you infinately happier. It's just a balls out fun mid size sedan. The only larger cars I would choose over the e39 are the 7 series or S class. For what it is worth it would cost less money to own the I6 e39 than it cost for me to maintain my LS400 or the old mans LS430 he got in 2001. The v8 BMW's are wholly different story, that is the car to be concerned about as there were some bad years made and BMW officially denies any malfunctions owners have proved will occur because of factory faults. If you want a v8 go for the GS430 and save yourself alot of headache over having to search out a well maintained 540i. Otherwise get the BMW and cry your little heart out because of how often you're going to be changing brake pads due to your newly acquired driving habits. Register here and ask some more indepth questions if you are really interested.
http://bimmerforums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3415214
http://bimmerforums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3415241
http://bimmerforums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3415242

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
My brother and sister both bought 98 GS300's. No problems!

·
Registered
81 Posts
They deleted the buttons for emissions or some shit. They then added them to the gs300. My moms gs300 has 90k on it and has never had a problem. You should easily find a gs400 with 50-70k on it. I remember looking for them back in december when I bought my is300 and saw plenty for sale.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Bringing back an old thread...

Ive been looking at the GS300/400 to replace my current daily, but im swinging more towards the 300 since they are a little cheaper ($). Judging by what is said in here they are pretty damn reliable. Going off that, if I happen to find one with 90K miles or more should I be ok? Any problems with these around that mileage?

Also did the 300's come with HID's, or was that just the 400/430?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got a 99 GS400 over the summer, and I couldn't be happier with it. Great DD.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts